Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Compared to what, Nigeria?
Compared to dozens of countries. I've been to a few of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are wasting your breath. Some people just don't understand basic economics.
Your ideological drivel is not basic economics. How do you all just spew the same lines?

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How much does the average HS dropout, multiple baby, drug user need to pull themselves out of Poverty?
How much are we to provide them beyond what they currently receive?
Are we to GIVE them a Middle class income, free car, free healthcare and take care of all their needs ?

Radiolibre... how much more should we take from the working middle class and GIVE to uneducated poor ?

Thank you for stating we exactly what I'm thinking.

II's disturbing to see all the freebies these "poor" people have already, they're driving nicer cars than I am & are obese half the time.
Oh & btw, I never qualified for "help" ....
so I learned to many money.
I know so many people who are quite comfortable not working, getting food stamps, getting all kinds of freebies.....and they absolutely admit they're not even wanting to work. It's repulsive.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have yet to meet a billionaire that didnt have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of employees..

Can you list one for me?
A lot of which probably are not making a livable wage, have had their wages cut, benefits cut, jobs outsourced, etc.

Thus what your philosophy boils down to if I may translate right wing newspeak.

A candidate for office chides his liberal opponent for wanting to raise corporate taxes by saying that it would hurt jobs. But what he really means is that if you anger the main industry in the town they'll get angry and pack up and leave because they own it not you.

You guys champion the private interests of owners as a collective national interest. Left liberals promote the interests of the workers regardless of what it means to business.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
There is a reason that millions of very impoverished people have been pouring over the southern border, poverty here is pure luxury compared with true poverty.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
A lot of which probably are not making a livable wage, have had their wages cut, benefits cut, jobs outsourced, etc.

Thus what your philosophy boils down to if I may translate right wing newspeak.

A candidate for office chides his liberal opponent for wanting to raise corporate taxes by saying that it would hurt jobs. But what he really means is that if you anger the main industry in the town they'll get angry and pack up and leave because they own it not you.

You guys champion the private interests of owners as a collective national interest. Left liberals promote the interests of the workers regardless of what it means to business.
Once again, when you reduce the demand on labor, wages, benefits etc get cut.. which makes me ask why the hell you support policies which reduce the demand on labor and then act surprised when the income inequality increases?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Once again, when you reduce the demand on labor, wages, benefits etc get cut.. which makes me ask why the hell you support policies which reduce the demand on labor and then act surprised when the income inequality increases?
Because I don't think the onus is on liberals, progressives and workers to co-tail to every business "rational self interest" or corporate friendly policy.

You keep couching your rhetoric in economic terms but the battle is largely political. Why do you expect people to just get use to the way things are and make the most of it to please the top brass of this society?

They can cut taxes, outsource, cut government programs, lower wages, etc but don't think there won't be a backlash. You guys are the ones that act all surprised when people don't accept the status quo.

The average American knows that it's not a matter of basic economics but a political battle for the gains in production. They want a bigger share of the pie whether through wage hikes or programs.

And it's NOT supposed to benefit the top. They're supposed to lose out on it and never get it back. That's the point of progressive politics and a labor movement. There's supposed to be no real net benefit in it for the top. That's why they find think tanks and relentlessly attack liberals and progressives.

If there's a wage hike and owners out the loss in consumers or lay off ppl that's another battle right there. It will keep going until labor gets their share back.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
They want a bigger share of the pie whether through wage hikes or programs.
It's about giving them more money.
Since they can't do it themselves they want the government to mandate it for them since it is someone else's money.

Everybody wants their "fair share" of money and don't care how they get it or who they trample in the process.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's about giving them more money.
Since they can't do it themselves they want the government to mandate it for them since it is someone else's money.

Everybody wants their "fair share" of money and don't care how they get it or who they trample in the process.
This is what you guys sound like to us progressives:

Don't change things. If you don't like the crappy economic climate pull yourself out. Get a second job, work at night, go back to school, have your wife work, do whatever and everything it takes to get out. But don't tax the rich, don't ask for more money. You're a stringer person if you just accept the crappy economic and political climate that vastly favors the rich. Don't ruin our gravy train cus if you do we will leave and make matters worse for you.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
This is what you guys sound like to us progressives:

Don't change things. If you don't like the crappy economic climate pull yourself out. Get a second job, work at night, go back to school, have your wife work, do whatever and everything it takes to get out. But don't tax the rich, don't ask for more money. You're a stringer person if you just accept the crappy economic and political climate that vastly favors the rich. Don't ruin our gravy train cus if you do we will leave and make matters worse for you.
Look at your history. This isn't the first time we've had economic problems.
It will pass just like all the other times in history.

Go ahead and tax the rich. They are one step ahead of you and your government gives them a year advance notice no less that they are coming for the money !

Here's a great example of your government working for you.

Your employer doesn't offer you insurance and you work 31 hours.
That employer has to pay the government $2K.
Are you any better off because your boss sent $2K to the IRS ?
NO you're not. You still have no insurance. And you can forget about any raises either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies