Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We just put everything in the trash. We don't have recycling pickup. We sell our trash to a facility that sorts it out and profits off the recycling.
In New Jersey?

You know who has their hands in those "profits" dont you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Its a profitable WIN for them and not for YOU, regardless of what you do with your trash. Are you really this dense that you cannot get the point?
Are you really so dense that you don't get that once a recyclable item leaves my hand it doesn't matter to me how it avoids the landfill, as long as it does?

Are you so dense that you don't understand that the energy used to throw a bottle into the trash can is the same used to throw a bottle in the recycle bin?

Quote:
Sounds like you are happy being a stepford wife. Dinner at 6pm sharp, dont be late!
Wow, you're really good at ASSumptions and jumping to conclusions. Watch out you don't get hurt on the landing.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
This reminds me of a yard project I was doing last year..

2 years ago I put new drain pipe in my yard, and last year I put out a sign looking for dirt to fill the hole around the piping..

I had people asking me why I would expect people to give me dirt for free and I should go out and buy it.. (the estimates were about $6K to fill it in)..

My response to them was, if you dont want to give it to me, then dont.

In the end, I filled my hole, and those who gave it to me, got rid of their dirt.. We both got something out of it. I'll never understand why that upset people..

Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So? Why should I care if somebody gets rich? It's better than the trash ending up in a landfill.
We have places here that convert municipal waste into ethanol. Nothing wrong with that.
Maybe I should hang on to my garbage to "stick it to the tree huggers".

What a stupid thread.
Agreed. I'm glad they take away my garbage, let them make a profit for providing a service i value.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This reminds me of a yard project I was doing last year..

2 years ago I put new drain pipe in my yard, and last year I put out a sign looking for dirt to fill the hole around the piping..

I had people asking me why I would expect people to give me dirt for free and I should go out and buy it.. (the estimates were about $6K to fill it in)..

My response to them was, if you dont want to give it to me, then dont.

In the end, I filled my hole, and those who gave it to me, got rid of their dirt.. We both got something out of it. I'll never understand why that upset people..
Some people are busybodies, it drives them nuts to see someone doing something they would not do themselves.

Some of them are the same people who want as much leisure time for themselves as humanly possible, while being resentful of anyone else that is industrious and resourceful and is accomplished in some way.

It's like hating the kids who get As in school, or resenting the person who worked two jobs, paid down his mortgage and moved into a nicer home in a nicer neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
If this bothers you so much haul your aluminum cans to the recycler yourself and get your $1.78.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Watch out you don't get hurt on the landing.
I should be OK, I will likely land on your huge pile of plastic bottles. Maybe I can borrow one of your tie dye shirts if I get cold.

You don't have a leg to stand on with this one. It's a no brainer but you have seemingly drank the kool aid and there is no changing your economy sized mind.

If you need me, I will be gathering all of my trash and indiscriminately placing it all in the same bag. There is no need to care because it all goes to the same place (and thankfully someone has a job because of this) no matter if I sort it or not, profit or no profit, landfill or no landfill.

With the time I save, I think I will enjoy a nice bowl of ice cream and then throw the rest all in the trash.

Last edited by Negotiator75; 02-13-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I've taken a different route by buying things package-free, which has reduced my household waste to nearly nothing, so I have very little landfill or recycling to haul to the curb. Green waste is composted in the backyard. Items that have overstayed their welcome are sold or donated while they are still useful. The occasional plastic item can be dropped into a nearby public recycling bin, but there isn't much, so I don't mind.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The occasional plastic item can be dropped into a nearby public recycling bin, but there isn't much, so I don't mind.
Perfect, the companies that resell the plastic and make huge profits must love you!

Hopefully the gas you waste on the way there doesnt hurt the planet

Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
If you need me, I will be gathering all of my trash and indiscriminately placing it all in the same bag. There is no need to care because it all goes to the same place (and thankfully someone has a job because of this) no matter if I sort it or not, profit or no profit, landfill or no landfill.
Do you post here to display your ignorance, or do you post here to learn from others?

Once again, it doesnt all go to the same place.. It depends on where you live. I would assume, (and yes, its an assumption), that in most areas, people dont go through trash..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies