Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,312,351 times

Advertisements

Gun control takes another major setback.

Second Amendment Guarantees Right To Concealed Or Open Carry, Ninth Circuit Rules | Independent Journal Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM

878 posts, read 733,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I was just reading that over at Breitbart. This is indeed great news and a win for gun rights advocates.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,272,324 times
Believe it or not, I agree.

You have the right to bear arms. If every single adult in the US wants to do so, they ought to be able to. Do so many guns exacerbate criminal acts? I think so. I may be wrong. Who cares? You have the right to bear arms.

Hell, I'm a liberal atheist. I expect if I spent any amount of time living in some states I'd carry a gun too.

ETA: I don't agree that it's "great news", I just think it's a just verdict.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,741,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Believe it or not, I agree.

You have the right to bear arms. If every single adult in the US wants to do so, they ought to be able to. Do so many guns exacerbate criminal acts? I think so. I may be wrong.
Yes, you may be.

In fact, many studies have shown that when law-abiding citizens carry guns, far FEWER crimes are carried out against them.

Quote:
Who cares?
The law-abiding citizens who are trying to prevent crimes from being perpetrated against them. But for some reason, the gun-grabbers never consider them.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 PM

6,003 posts, read 3,706,735 times
I agree with the conservatives on this issue. This is a good ruling. Law abiding citizens should never be denied the right to carry a weapon. It's the only real deterrent to crime.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,608,772 times
Basically the court is saying that the state must abide by the "Shall Issue" concept rather than the "May Issue". This is good news and over 20 states have amended their laws in the last 20 years to contain the provision "Shall Issue". California is just one of the last in Reaffirming the right of armed self defense. California has always been notorious for denying CCW permits as they tried to treat it as a privilege rather than a right.

Great news, all around.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,257,306 times
Great news! It is time for Americans to assert their rights!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yes, you may be.

In fact, many studies have shown that when law-abiding citizens carry guns, far FEWER crimes are carried out against them.
Balance that against things like robberies that result in fatalities, domestic disturbances that become domestic homicides, and so on. But it doesn't matter. For better or worse, US citizens (and residents, in most places) have the right to bear arms. If you want to carry a handgun, do so.

Quote:
The law-abiding citizens who are trying to prevent crimes from being perpetrated against them. But for some reason, the gun-grabbers never consider them.
I think they do, I just think they also consider how easy it is for law abiding citizens to become not-law-abiding citizens, how easy it is for criminals to get guns in a country where there's one per person, and so on.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I agree with the conservatives on this issue. This is a good ruling. Law abiding citizens should never be denied the right to carry a weapon. It's the only real deterrent to crime.
Prosperity works too, as does an effective social safety net. No one carries guns here, very few people in Calgary even own handguns and they're not to be kept readily available should one own one. They're hobby equipment. Crime here is nothing compared to a comparable American city. We must be doing something right.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,312,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Prosperity works too, as does an effective social safety net. No one carries guns here, very few people in Calgary even own handguns and they're not to be kept readily available should one own one. They're hobby equipment. Crime here is nothing compared to a comparable American city. We must be doing something right.
How is the social safety net in the U.S. ineffective? Unfortunately someone at one point decided that my town should become the social services capital of the state. We get the social service recipients from all over the state and in some cases even the country. When you read the daily police blotter guess which group of people pop up there every day in large numbers. Giving people free handouts doesn't stop them from being low life scum bags. Also cite what you think is a comparable American city and we can go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies