Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But the people in the bottom need more federal aid. Why is it surprising they get more?

If they can't survive without federal aid, maybe they should rethink their choices in life or give a second thought about increasing the size of their family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
The tax problem can be solved easily.

1-Throw away both the federal and state income tax.

2-Throw away the property tax.

3-Implement a sales/consumption tax of 10% on all goods and services (with food, medicine etc... Obviously being tax exempt). 5% of all tax revenue goes to the local state, the remaining 5% goes to the Federal Government.

4-The Government adheres to a strict budget. It is not allowed to borrow or spend more than it makes.

5- Watch the economy flourish.

Also under this system everyone would pay their fair share, especially the wealthy because there would no longer be loopholes for them to exploit with their income taxes.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I hear President Obama speak of "fair share" when it comes to the wealthy. What is the fair share of other groups?
well, taxing passive income (capital gains and dividends) at a higher rate than wages (income and payroll combined) is the first step in ensuring the wealthy pay their fair share.

i don't particularly care what the poor people pay, because they don't have any money in the first place; i just want to make sure the billionaires are paying at least as much as the middle class.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no such thing as a fair amount of theft.
This.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The two groups that dont pay taxes are SS recipients with low incomes and lower income people often familes claiming earned income tax credit and child tax credit. The figures get distorted when you "charge" SS, Medicare, Medicaid, EITC, etc. against every dollar each group pays in. Obviously retirees on SS and Medicare will distort what the lowest quintile pays in.
Not by as much as you think. Those 65 and over are only 13.7% of the population. Roughly 47% of the tax-eligible pay no federal income tax whatsoever. Even assuming that the senior 13% are eligible for taxation (highly unlikely), how do you explain the other 33.3% (1/3 of working age tax-eligible Americans) not paying any federal income tax whatsoever?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 AM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not by as much as you think. Those 65 and over are only 13.7% of the population. Roughly 47% of the tax-eligible pay no federal income tax whatsoever. Even assuming that the senior 13% are eligible for taxation (highly unlikely), how do you explain the other 33.3% (1/3 of working age tax-eligible Americans) not paying any federal income tax whatsoever?
He can't because he's declared jihad on Social Security recipients.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
The bottom Quintile of income earners receive on average $9.62 in federal aid for every $1.00 they pay in ALL Federal taxes combined. The middle quintile averaged $1.19 in federal aid for every $1.00 they pay in ALL Federal taxes combined.

My wife and I help people with their taxes for free - almost all lower income families. Many of which get back thousands more than they pay in. Literally turning a sizable profit off of federal income taxes that would cover all their state and local taxes - with the net effect of paying nothing into the system.

I hear President Obama speak of "fair share" when it comes to the wealthy. What is the fair share of other groups?

Scott Hodge: Here's What 'Income Equality' Would Look Like - WSJ.com
I've said this before. It takes money to make money. If you tax the lower classes, you ruin their chance at upward mobility. If you look at the upper classes, there are A TON of government expenditures which they benefit from: military, farm bill... So, they should pay for the benefits that they use. And when the lower classes move up, then they can start paying more too. Higher taxes rates (but below 50%) don't discourage higher earnings.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
The tax problem can be solved easily.

1-Throw away both the federal and state income tax.

2-Throw away the property tax.

3-Implement a sales/consumption tax of 10% on all goods and services (with food, medicine etc... Obviously being tax exempt). 5% of all tax revenue goes to the local state, the remaining 5% goes to the Federal Government.

4-The Government adheres to a strict budget. It is not allowed to borrow or spend more than it makes.

5- Watch the economy flourish.

Also under this system everyone would pay their fair share, especially the wealthy because there would no longer be loopholes for them to exploit with their income taxes.
Throw away the property tax and watch land prices spiral out of control with those who owned land first getting the obvious free lunch.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Take the total amount necessary for government to preform it's necessary and enumerated functions according to the constitution and divide that number by the total number of American citizens

Whatever number you come up with = every American citizens "fair shair".

Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
The bottom Quintile of income earners receive on average $9.62 in federal aid for every $1.00 they pay in ALL Federal taxes combined. The middle quintile averaged $1.19 in federal aid for every $1.00 they pay in ALL Federal taxes combined.

My wife and I help people with their taxes for free - almost all lower income families. Many of which get back thousands more than they pay in. Literally turning a sizable profit off of federal income taxes that would cover all their state and local taxes - with the net effect of paying nothing into the system.

Scott Hodge: Here's What 'Income Equality' Would Look Like - WSJ.com

I am SO sick and tired of seeing this crap. It applies only to parents of dependent children; childless adults typically get little or nothing. A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays over $500/yr in federal income tax and over $1000/yr in payroll taxes, while a homeowner family of four earning $50k-$75K often pays less income tax than the burger flipper.

I consider everyone's fair share of taxes to be a flat percentage of all discretionary income, i.e. all income above that required for basic living expenses for which I would use the 20th percentile of spending. If home ownership were allowed by government to be scalable, I could support a flat percentage of discretionary spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies