Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Orphaned.

I mean, my adopted nephew has my brother's (and mine) last name. He's from asia, but by taking the name it is indicating to the world he is part of our family despite no direct lineage. The basis of that is from the biological, but the practice is now firmly cultural. That doesn't negate the biological basis.
I'm not arguing this. The question is its importance in todays society. It is no longer a strong indicator of relation or family. We have more blended families and baby momma and daddies that aren't exactly families. Divorce is common therefore names change multiple times.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-21-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Rock on. I confess "This is just the way it is." "It is a given." Takes precedence to thinking. Kinda scary even. But it is certainly your right.
No, it's just that we have more important things to worry about.

They may not have feminists respect (and don't care that they don't), but there are plenty of women out there who are more than HAPPY to have the man be the head of the household. As for your suggestion that these types of women are incapable of thinking for themselves, well, I say that's quite a load of bull. Some people just don't mind leaving well enough alone.

Here's my question: let's say that neither father or mother could come to agreement on what the child's last name is. What would the solution be? Argue about it forever or just do the normal thing and let the kid have his/her father's name?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

They may not have feminists respect (and don't care that they don't), but there are plenty of women out there who are more than HAPPY to have the man be the head of the household. As for your suggestion that these types of women are incapable of thinking for themselves, well, I say that's quite a load of bull. Some people just don't mind leaving well enough alone.
I did not say that. I said I find it odd that people, like you, intentionally choose to pick a partner based on an unwillingness or disinterest in thinking in favor of accepting the former status quo,

Quote:
Here's my question: let's say that neither father or mother could come to agreement on what the child's last name. What would the solution be? Argue about it forever or just do the normal thing and let the kid have his/her father's name?
I would not marry a man with whom I could not agree on something of such importance. I CERTAINLY would not have a child with him. I chose to take my husband's name so that we, and our children, would all have the same name. Because we thought and discussed the outcome that we wanted for our children.

Arguments that go on are not arguments at all but 2 bullheaded turds who don't want a solution bu their own way.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Judith Martin (Miss Manners) suggests that children retain their mother's last name because they'll stay with her after the divorce anyway. Harsh and pessimistic but also pretty realistic.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

Here's my question: let's say that neither father or mother could come to agreement on what the child's last name is. What would the solution be? Argue about it forever or just do the normal thing and let the kid have his/her father's name?

What if she is the last in her family line? What if her parents had only daughters and she wanted to preserve her family name? Why is a woman's family line considered somehow worth less than a man's?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I did not say that. I said I find it odd that people, like you, intentionally choose to pick a partner based on an unwillingness or disinterest in thinking in favor of accepting the former status quo
I never said that, though. What I'm saying is that I will likely end up with a woman who shares my views on these issues.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
What if she is the last in her family line? What if her parents had only daughters and she wanted to preserve her family name? Why is a woman's family line considered somehow worth less than a man's?
Genealogical research can very difficult because a mother's surname is replaced by the father's in many cultures. It's an on-going challenge for those of us trying to follow our maternal ancestral lines. I think it's terribly sad that our foremother's stories are so often lost because of traditional naming conventions.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
Tradition really doesnt matter to me, actually, if I were to ever marry again, Id keep my current name from my last marriage. Namely because Ive had this name longer than my own maiden name, at this point in life. Thats just the way it is. Call me strange, weird, untraditional, but thats just me.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Genealogical research can very difficult because a mother's surname is replaced by the father's in many cultures. It's an on-going challenge for those of us trying to follow our maternal ancestral lines. I think it's terribly sad that our foremother's stories are so often lost because of traditional naming conventions.
Exactly! I've been studying my family lines for many years now, as I have a rare genetic condition and it's been interesting to see how it originated. The maternal lines have been incredibly difficult because it seems that once a woman is married, her life before that ceases to exist.

I truly doubt I'll ever change my name.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Regarding the allusion to Christianity, over 75% of Iceland is Christian, according to Wikipedia. Women don't change their names there, and children's surnames don't match their parents' or even each other's if they are mixed-gender. Surnames are a relatively modern invention anyway. They didn't exist in Biblical times, so changing one's surname is not a "Christian" thing.
Icelandic surnames are even more patronymic than most, though. While a woman will not take a husband's name, she'll simply remain "So-and-so'sdottir" (daughter). Legal naming conventions there are very strict in general. First names must be from a nationally approved list. There was recently a court case where a girl was approved to have a name not on the list recognized.
By Any Other Name: Iceland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.