Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Some people are just loss on what the tea party movement is about as they have clearly stated. Its like saying democrats want all the kooky things some liberal come out with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
What do you suppose TEA stands for in TEA Party?

That should be a huge give away...
Taxed Enough Already. We get it. Great bumpersticker material. It's been at least 18 months since I've seen a tea party start a thread on taxes. Mostly about gays, global warming, the deficit and how crappy the entire political establishment is. Every tea party politician elected has promptly gone to Washington and lead the way in proving how crappy and dysfunctional the congress really is.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:04 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Taxed Enough Already. We get it. Great bumpersticker material. It's been at least 18 months since I've seen a tea party start a thread on taxes. Mostly about gays, global warming, the deficit and how crappy the entire political establishment is. Every tea party politician elected has promptly gone to Washington and lead the way in proving how crappy and dysfunctional the congress really is.
Really? Last I looked democrats were screaming bloody murder about having to cut $85 billion com the budget and how the rapture was coming. Next thing you know they're patting each other on the backsides and touting how they've shrank the deficit.

What movement controlled the narrative to achieve that?

The sad thing is the government's own budget office has been ringing the alarm to do just that. In fact they just came out and said there needs to be more cuts or increases in revenue or a combination of both to the tune of $200 billion a year (on average) just to keep our head above water or $400 billion a year (on average) to get the debt back to the 40 year historical average.

I could go into nauseating detail about why you need to do the latter but for now the main point is you're going to be cutting because raising taxes even more than have already been raised will not go over well with revenues reaching a 40 year high and government services reaching a 40 year low. The American people won't have the stomach for that over the coming decades.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Really? Last I looked democrats were screaming bloody murder about having to cut $85 billion com the budget and how the rapture was coming. Next thing you know they're patting each other on the backsides and touting how they've shrank the deficit.

What movement controlled the narrative to achieve that?

The sad thing is the government's own budget office has been ringing the alarm to do just that. In fact they just came out and said there needs to be more cuts or increases in revenue or a combination of both to the tune of $200 billion a year (on average) just to keep our head above water or $400 billion a year (on average) to get the debt back to the 40 year historical average.

I could go into nauseating detail about why you need to do the latter but for now the main point is you're going to be cutting because raising taxes even more than have already been raised will not go over well with revenues reaching a 40 year high and government services reaching a 40 year low. The American people won't have the stomach for that over the coming decades.
Well, you do make a point. I find nothing wrong with putting political pressure to limit spending. We need both sides. Social advocate and finance hawks. My problem with the tea party is that if they are going to be the financial hawks of the political spectrum then they should act like it. Too many times their actions are those of spoiled children. Perhaps when the party matures some more they will develop a little civility and create credibility.

Remember that the 85 billion would have made the republicans scream just as loud if it had been their programs and lobbyists who were cut. It all boils down to whose ox get's gored when the spending cuts come out. I'm sure Democrats would have gladly cut 170 billion if it had come from the republican side of the isle.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
OK, well, thanks for letting us know that you are a control freak because that is all a liberal is.
What's the point of an answer which ignores everything that went before? It is a non-answer. A pointless waste of whatever you used.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:38 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I have neighbors and co-workers that are Tea Partiers. Been to a couple of web sites.

Not a peep on guns, abortion, gay marriage, race, 911, birther, so-called attack on Christmas....nothing.

It seems that those that hate the TP'ers have an obsession with pinning those issues on them, for some strange reason.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Tea Party has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what their website says.

I think they are selfish though:
My Religion, not yours
My property, I got here first
My family, what I say goes
My families inheritance, cause I earned it
My earnings
My country
My job, not for some slimey *******
My superpower in politics status,
My gas,

They think they are the ideal of the self made man or woman, and they just don't mind stomping on everyone else to keep it that way.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
I am against all Wall St bailouts.

Haven't seen either side come out against THAT since they are inside the beltway. Including tea party.

Initially, their idea was good in theory, but it seems they have been hijacked by the 1%.

religion is irrelevant and any party using it to "fire up the base" (what a tired expression!) is automatically discounted.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Tea Party has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what their website says.

I think they are selfish though:
My Religion, not yours
My property, I got here first
My family, what I say goes
My families inheritance, cause I earned it
My earnings
My country
My job, not for some slimey *******
My superpower in politics status,
My gas,

They think they are the ideal of the self made man or woman, and they just don't mind stomping on everyone else to keep it that way.
That's strange. For years now we've been told that republicans and particularly the TEA party go against their own self-interest because they do t simply vote for whatever enriches them the most.

Strange how two people can look at the same thing and see two entirely different pictures.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-15-2014 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Fixing petty complaints for a troll...

Old 02-15-2014, 03:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I have neighbors and co-workers that are Tea Partiers. Been to a couple of web sites.

Not a peep on guns, abortion, gay marriage, race, 911, birther, so-called attack on Christmas....nothing.

It seems that those that hate the TP'ers have an obsession with pinning those issues on them, for some strange reason.
Do you think a political party and thier actions should be judged by their website content?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies