Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,612,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You got that right. The elections of 2008 and 2012 are proof of that.
Huh Huh, yea, good comeback dude!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,766,831 times
VW has lots of money and have already said they are expanding in Mexico.
Why chance an already decent salary with a union known for hardball tactics ?

We don't live in a vacuum anymore.
It's not about which state to mfg in anymore..it's which COUNTRY to mfg in.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,184,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sigh...always some wonderful (and always perfect) story from a non union guy.

Yeah dude...I know. And you all lived happily ever after.

Everyone on CD is a multi millionaire skilled worker.

Does anyone on this board have any REAL stories or experiences to tell? Geez.
Probably many.

MY employer was ranked on of the top 10 best employers in our area, the last 8 years or so.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,612,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
VW has lots of money and have already said they are expanding in Mexico.
Why chance an already decent salary with a union known for hardball tactics ?
Unions have changed alot since the 1990's, they've been forced to. "Hardball tactics" are not the standard way of doing business anymore, and if they were, unions would be extinct. They are on life support as it is, but lets remember, the decent pay offered by employers to non union line workers is a direct result of what the United Auto Workers was able to fight for 80 years ago, and remain fighting for today, it's not because employers are altruistic and care for their employees.

I don't know any specifics about this particular facility in Chattanooga, but VW is a probably a good employer, and workers didn't want the structure and organization of the UAW in their plant (at least 51% of them didn't) and I respect that decision.

Unions are not without fault, but they afford the workers certain protections, and the business climate in this facility is probably a lot less contentious between mgt. and the shop than it is in most other plants of this size. I'm guessing some thought the UAW might change this. So they bypassed on the protections and representation that the UAW would bring them. Let's hope the climate don't change in this facility, cause there are no protections afforded the workers that a central bargaining agreement would give them.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM

30,554 posts, read 23,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to this link, VW was neutral on the union issue.
Tennessee Volkswagen Workers Vote On UAW Membership : NPR

Oh, spare me the "Libertarian 101" stuff. Who's holding the power in the workplace? The individual worker? I. . . don't. . . think. . . so! Many people have very little choice but to work where they work. Oh, they might have a choice between that and unemployment, but that doesn't last too long!
That is a flat out lie. Everyone has a choice as to where they work. Your excuse making simply shows you have given up.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,766,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Unions have changed alot since the 1990's, they've been forced to. "Hardball tactics" are not the standard way of doing business anymore, and if they were, unions would be extinct. They are on life support as it is, but lets remember, the decent pay offered by employers to non union auto manufacturers is a direct result of what the United Auto Workers was bale to fight for 80 years ago, and remain fighting for today, it's not because employers are altruistic and care for their employees.

I don't know any specifics about this particular facility in Chattanooga, but VW is a probably a good employer, and workers didn't want the structure and organization of the UAW in their plant (at least 51% of them didn't) and I respect that decision.

Unions are not without fault, but they afford the workers certain protections, and the business climate in this facility is probably a lot less contentious between mgt. and the shop than it is in most other plants of this size. I'm guessing some thought the UAW might change this. So they bypassed on the protections and representation that the UAW would bring them. I respect their decision.
The GM bailout of the UAW is most certainly a current example of hardball tactics.
Go back and read some of Gettelfinger's threats to Congress about what would happen if the union wasn't bailed out.
If they had to go through the normal bankruptcy court like everyone else the UAW would not have been given preference over retirees and bondholders.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,745,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
LOL The mob hasn't been around for quite sometime now. Keep living in the past though
THis is sarcasm right? Ill give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not this naieve.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Unions have their place. However their power can, very easily, become abusive to both management and labor.
this is a fair assessment.
Unions have their place. Unfortunately too many unions do not know their place thus America has lost trust in them.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Unions have changed alot since the 1990's, they've been forced to. "Hardball tactics" are not the standard way of doing business anymore, and if they were, unions would be extinct. They are on life support as it is, but lets remember, the decent pay offered by employers to non union line workers is a direct result of what the United Auto Workers was able to fight for 80 years ago, and remain fighting for today, it's not because employers are altruistic and care for their employees.

Unions are not without fault, but they afford the workers certain protections, and the business climate in this facility is probably a lot less contentious between mgt. and the shop than it is in most other plants of this size. I'm guessing some thought the UAW might change this. So they bypassed on the protections and representation that the UAW would bring them. Let's hope the climate don't change in this facility, cause there are no protections afforded the workers that a central bargaining agreement would give them.
I wonder if it is possible for them to bypass UAW and join a different union? One with less baggage.
Maybe even the German Union can form a wing here?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've got no problem paying my taxes if it keeps weak and inferior people like you employed and out of prison, I'd much rather you pay your own taxes than live in a cell on mine.
Whatever man.

Just keep paying. Show up to work...And don't make me come looking for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh..you're one of the guys getting a raise to $10.10 an hour thanks to Obama and his pen !
Congrats on your raise

(just joking DD..I couldn't resist )
LMAO....good one.

10 bucks? Hell...That's DOUBLE what I'm getting now.

Thanks Barry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.