Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,355,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
this is a fair assessment.
Unions have their place. Unfortunately too many unions do not know their place thus America has lost trust in them.
Look at the record recently...the UAW has done EVERYTHING to help the Big 3 come back.

They've taken cut after cut...And the Big 3 has gone YEARS without labor strife.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM

26,210 posts, read 19,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The GM bailout of the UAW is most certainly a current example of hardball tactics.
Go back and read some of Gettelfinger's threats to Congress about what would happen if the union wasn't bailed out.
If they had to go through the normal bankruptcy court like everyone else the UAW would not have been given preference over retirees and bondholders.
This is propaganda. I'm not surprised to see the saving of the worlds second largest automaker from bankruptcy as "threats" and "hardball tactics"

I don't know why conservatives root against this country and the middle class so much, because I don't watch FOX News or listen to Limbaugh or the others, but I do know that corporatists like to keep their base scared, ignorant and hungry, that makes them easy to manipulate.

The bailout was not about the UAW, it was about General Motors, and the people responsible for the business decisions that caused this company to file for bankruptcy protection. Not a word in your post about upper management, imagine my surprise.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,452,743 times
Quote:
I wonder if it is possible for them to bypass UAW and join a different union? One with less baggage.
Maybe even the German Union can form a wing here?
Yes and no. It's unlikely that the German Union would provide enough political support for politicians to allow it to happen. In theory though it could probably happen.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM

16,785 posts, read 8,283,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes and no. It's unlikely that the German Union would provide enough political support for politicians to allow it to happen. In theory though it could probably happen.
I believe that NLRB rules state that another attempt to unionize needs to wait 1 year.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:22 AM

26,210 posts, read 19,618,077 times
Quote:
I wonder if it is possible for them to bypass UAW and join a different union? One with less baggage.
Maybe even the German Union can form a wing here?
That's a good question. I imagine that some kind of "worker council" was already in place, giving employees a voice in business decisions. And that might be the very reason that some workers voted against the union, thinking they already had representation in place.

One major difference between VW and the Big 3 might very well be the business mentality. A form of "shared prosperity" might exist at VW that does not at the Big 3. And if that is the case, I can understand why workers chose not to change the system already in place.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,746,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look at the record recently...the UAW has done EVERYTHING to help the Big 3 come back.

They've taken cut after cut...And the Big 3 has gone YEARS without labor strife.
Ok maybe the recent record of the UAW is ok but that is not nearly the whole story of unions in America.

Within my family there have been several negative experiences with Healthcare unions and first hand witness of what a union does to the quality of service within hospitals.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,746,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's a good question. I imagine that some kind of "worker council" was already in place, giving employees a voice in business decisions. And that might be the very reason that some workers voted against the union, thinking they already had representation in place.

One major difference between VW and the Big 3 might very well be the business mentality. A form of "shared prosperity" might exist at VW that does not at the Big 3. And if that is the case, I can understand why workers chose not to change the system already in place.
agreed, Unions are far from the holistic cure to the struggles of the worker and many times are to the detriment in the long run. At least from what we have seen with unions in America. There is a reason why unions have lost membership. Maybe they should look in the mirror.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM

9,791 posts, read 10,029,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Good for you. You`re getting union benefits without having to pay dues. Do you know why that is? Do you know who brought you that time and a half pay for overtime? Do you know why you get bonus pay for Sunday work? Do you know why you get paid vacation time? You`re welcome.
I'm thankful to the unions (of at least what the once were). The unions of today don't give a crap about the workers. They are a far cry of the group who gave us all of the things you mentioned.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 AM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times
They don't want Chattanooga to become Detroit. One of the workers said working for VW was the best job he ever had. And for the area, it pays well.

Tennessee Volkswagen Workers Reject UAW Representation

Corker is from Chattanooga. He was the mayor there. He's not an outside influence. Frankly, he ticks me off a lot but this was the best thing he's done. I know because Obama was ticked off.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,805,598 times
Quote:
But alas...Germans aren't the same dumb goobers that we have in this country...our idiots decided to listen to Tennessee politicians that ran a campaign against union entry.
Quote:
That's because Germans...employees and employers actually have a brain in their heads unlike their U.S. counterparts.
Another anti-American union member.

Good luck with your Fourth Reich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.