Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,424,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Another anti-American union member.

Good luck with your Fourth Reich.
Godwin.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

16,787 posts, read 8,277,518 times
This was not a pay or benefit issue. This was an attempt to form a works council which would have made for a better system to run the plant. At no time did the issue of wages or bennies come up.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
This was not a pay or benefit issue. This was an attempt to form a works council which would have made for a better system to run the plant . At no time did the issue of wages or bennies come up.
The majority disagreed.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The majority disagreed.
Yes that is what is called democracy

Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,264,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is propaganda.
So are unions.

Quote:
I don't know why conservatives root against this country and the middle class so much, because I don't watch FOX News or listen to Limbaugh or the others,...
Stereotype much?

FOX News and Rush is all you got....how'd you put it? Good comeback....

Quote:
The ignorance and propaganda surrounding unions is on full display,...
I was in a union....by force....first and last time I ever worked for a union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, spare me the "Libertarian 101" stuff. Who's holding the power in the workplace? The individual worker? I. . . don't. . . think. . . so!
If you would stop trying to create a Dependent Class and try empowering people it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If the UAW members make less money why aren`t the conservatives here pro union?
Why don't Liberals understand Economics?

Your own government tells some single Americans that earning $9,101 annually is too much money to have their rent subsidized by tax-payers through HUD...

...yet your own government tells some single Americans that $26.75/hour or $53,490 is not enough money to pay rent, and so the tax-payers pay their rent for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Do you know why Detroit looks like God took a crap on a parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reasons are numerous.

Hahahaha...oops...there goes another keyboard.

And, yeah the reasons are numerous and they all have a capital letter "D" behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The only good union, is a Credit Union.
I'll second that....

Motioning....

Mircea

Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM

This was not a crushing defeat as in a year they can try again. If Sen. Corker's statement about the increased production does not happen that will be a crushing defeat.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Quote:
This was not a pay or benefit issue. This was an attempt to form a works council which would have made for a better system to run the plant. At no time did the issue of wages or bennies come up.
But American unions are not like German work councils.
The UAW isn't going to change.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Hahahaha...oops...there goes another keyboard.

And, yeah the reasons are numerous and they all have a capital letter "D" behind them.

You failed to address any of my points.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,607,764 times
Quote:
This was not a crushing defeat as in a year they can try again. If Sen. Corker's statement about the increased production does not happen that will be a crushing defeat.
The numbers were far from crushing, this was a very close vote. And I don't think the UAW will try again in a year, but it's good to know that, as a result of this vote, the company will continue to give employees a fair wage and a voice on how this plant is run, because if that were not the case, the UAW would have likely won this vote.

Even when voted down, the UAW still helps the worker retain a decent wage and decent benefits. Pattern bargaining may be a thing of the past but the influence of unions is not. VW happens to be the worlds third largest automaker, behind Toyota and General Motors, and their "shared prosperity/worker councils" approach is (possibly) what made the union here seem redundant.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The numbers were far from crushing, this was a very close vote. And I don't think the UAW will try again in a year, but it's good to know that, as a result of this vote, the company will continue to give employees a fair wage and a voice on how this plant is run, because if that were not the case, the UAW would have likely won this vote.

Even when voted down, the UAW still helps the worker retain a decent wage and decent benefits. Pattern bargaining may be a thing of the past but the influence of unions is not. VW happens to be the worlds third largest automaker, behind Toyota and General Motors, and their "shared prosperity/worker councils" approach is (possibly) what made the union here seem redundant.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.