Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,599,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The "shameful" actions of the unions in Wisconsin? Trying to recall a Governor that was trying to break them? You deny them this right in fighting for their existence?

I don't find that shameful at all. If someone came to my workplace and threatened its existence, I would fight back as well. It's called Democracy, the same as the vote in this Volkswagen plant. Deal with it

Unions are under assault by Republicans, and anyone making a living wage is under attack by Republicans. The rich continue to get richer in this country, and the poor continue to get poorer, and much of this is made possible by one political party, the Republican Party.

Strikes and recall votes are nothing if you are talking "hardball tactics", what's hardball is being told your pay is going to be cut in half or you won't have a job.
This is absolutely true. Republicans are only satisfied when both the poor and the working class are racing to the bottom.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM

40,990 posts, read 49,352,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is absolutely true. Republicans are only satisfied when both the poor and the working class are racing to the bottom.
Democrats are taxing the hell out of us all pushing us to the bottom.

Surprised Obama didn't just make an Executive Decision that the factory was unionized.

11,579 posts, read 13,977,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yep. Obamacare is working out swell for the middle class. The rich vs poor gap is expanding while your hero is at the helm as well.

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your response shows you made a totally unwarranted ass*umption about me. Then again, there are some towns where there are only a few employers in one's profession, such as a nurse in a town with one small hospital and a few doctor's offices where the same nurses have worked for the past 20 years and will continue to do so until they retire. These small towns usually just have one school district as well, and none nearby. Before you say "Move", I will remind you that one's spouse and family have to be taken into account.
You think we don't have vehicles in these "small towns" ?
20 minute drive and I'm in the next town.
Sure it's nice to work in town but people are not limited to that.
We're allowed to leave the city limits to work

Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,010,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

They don't want Chattanooga to become Detroit

Chattanooga is not much better than Detroit IMO. The reality is, the more I visit the other major cities of Tn, the more I truly appreciate Nashville.

Chattanooga is no longer on America's most polluted cities list as it once was, but I find the city economically depressing. The amount of closed, boarded up retail establishments I saw, the lack of a true, urban economy..was horrific.

Corker was the mayor of this dump..what a wonderful (sar) resume line.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 AM

16,771 posts, read 8,252,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Surprised Obama didn't just make an Executive Decision that the factory was unionized.
In the case of Texas its Republicans.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM

11,161 posts, read 10,748,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The "shameful" actions of the unions in Wisconsin? Trying to recall a Governor that was trying to break them? You deny them this right in fighting for their existence?

I don't find that shameful at all. If someone came to my workplace and threatened its existence, I would fight back as well. It's called Democracy, the same as the vote in this Volkswagen plant. Deal with it

Unions are under assault by Republicans, and anyone making a living wage is under attack by Republicans. The rich continue to get richer in this country, and the poor continue to get poorer, and much of this is made possible by one political party, the Republican Party.

Strikes and recall votes are nothing if you are talking "hardball tactics", what's hardball is being told your pay is going to be cut in half or you won't have a job.
First, what is a "living" wage? This seems to be the point upon which everyone who is calling for such a thing disagrees. As soon as someone comes up with a valid definition for the living wage, let us know so that we can discuss the issue.

The living wage is not the subject of this conversation, though. These workers are already making wages that put them well over the poverty line, so it's doubtful that they need any external help in order to make ends meet. If they do then quite frankly it's their problem for not knowing how to balance their checkbook.

As for Republicans being against unions, that's one of the few positions that I agree with the Republican base on. I've never had a Republican try to extort money out of me under threat of losing my job. On the other hand, I've had several dyed in the wool Democrat union representatives attempt that very thing. Exactly why should a person be required to pay someone in order to keep their job? Explain that before you extoll the virtues of a union, because having worked both union and non-union jobs I don't see any benefit from joining a union. The union representatives benefit greatly, as well as the politicians that they pay off in order to keep their protected status. The average union worker, however, does not benefit from a union in the slightest.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:

I guess Obama is eating crow right about now.
He said yesterday that everyone except the Republicans were in favor of joining the union.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,501,068 times
Quote:

Meanwhile back in the real world.

Americans' tax burden is lightest in developed world - USATODAY.com

Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,010,421 times
The reality is, while I dislike unions, Corker's interference will rightfully lead to a successful appeal of this vote. I'm not interested in their initial statements regarding whether to appeal-I have no doubt they will, and they should.

The state should be forced to pay for the full costs of a new vote-their idiot in the Senate, is the primary cause of the need for a 2nd vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.