Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
There's more to US tax then federal income tax..did you know that ?

You have city, county, state and federal.
59% of every dollar you earn goes to some tax and that's up from 54%.

You get to keep $.40 of every dollar you earn as each taxing entity takes "their fair share".
And with all the focus ONLY on federal income tax you don't even know you're being bled dry.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,037,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I bet you get a tax refund every year don't you?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,284,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are you in the South and are you unskilled or skilled labor?

I know...so do I.

I made 100k last year at a non union donut shop sweeping floors.

There...now I fit in on CD too.
No I am in the North, but our sister plant in Albany Ga makes comparable pay and benefits. We are all hired as basically unskilled. Unlike in a union shop where seniority trumps all, here ability and drive dictate how fast you can promote, who will be line mechanics and who will reap the rewards.
I was hired having never made paper towels, seen converting equipment and I didn't know a soul in that mill.
Within 18 months I was a tech 3, mid level on the pay scale. 5 years I was a tech 4 in a leadership position. Now I am a Tech 6 the highest tech pay grade. I have friends who work in a paper mill down river from us, a Union shop. Most started there before I was hired by P&G. I made more than any of them within 5 years. My retirement smokes theirs and my health benefits are comparable. They claim they don't advance until someone either steps down or retires. I'm glad I don't have a shop stewart to answer to or deciding which one of his buddies needs a promotion first. I'm glad I didn't have to wait in line behind guys more senior, but lazy know nothings.
I watch the Union construction workers who install new equipment, or remove old and I am amazed. Those tradesmen are a sight to behold. They are good, no they are great at what they do. No one will tell me that Unions don't produce high quality craftsmen and tradesmen. No one can tell me that all unions are bad or everything about Unions is bad.
Some are too powerful, the Teachers Union for example. The problem with unions is that they protect the lazy slackers equally. There is a reason why the laziest in my mill cry for a union. They know that the Union will protect them no matter how bad they are.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM

41,008 posts, read 49,480,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
In the case of Texas its Republicans.
Our overall Tax burden is one of the lowest in the US.

Where are the highest...... NY, NJ, CA ? Those certainly aren't Republican strongholds.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The reality is, while I dislike unions, Corker's interference will rightfully lead to a successful appeal of this vote. I'm not interested in their initial statements regarding whether to appeal-I have no doubt they will, and they should.

The state should be forced to pay for the full costs of a new vote-their idiot in the Senate, is the primary cause of the need for a 2nd vote.
Maybe I'm wrong as I admit I am no expert here on the law but as far as I know, right or wrong there is no law that would preclude him from stating his thoughts on the subject.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,034,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe I'm wrong as I admit I am no expert here on the law but as far as I know, right or wrong there is no law that would preclude him from stating his thoughts on the subject.
Whether there is a 2nd vote is not simply an issue of not disobeying criminal law.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,516,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's more to US tax then federal income tax..did you know that ?

You have city, county, state and federal.
59% of every dollar you earn goes to some tax and that's up from 54%.

You get to keep $.40 of every dollar you earn as each taxing entity takes "their fair share".
And with all the focus ONLY on federal income tax you don't even know you're being bled dry.
Read the darn link for crying out loud. The figures DO include local, state, etc. including Social Security. I`m willing to look at your proof of 59% of your dollar goes to taxes.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 PM

37,836 posts, read 41,190,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Chattanooga is not much better than Detroit IMO. The reality is, the more I visit the other major cities of Tn, the more I truly appreciate Nashville.

Chattanooga is no longer on America's most polluted cities list as it once was, but I find the city economically depressing. The amount of closed, boarded up retail establishments I saw, the lack of a true, urban economy..was horrific.

Corker was the mayor of this dump..what a wonderful (sar) resume line.
I love Chattanooga as cities go. Except for country music, not a huge fan of Nashville.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,516,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I bet you get a tax refund every year don't you?
Yes I do. Your point?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,034,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I love Chattanooga as cities go. Except for country music, not a huge fan of Nashville.
I prefer having an economy, and the Nashville MTSA unemployment rate is under the state's rate 90+% of the time, while Chattanooga is mostly above the state rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.