Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM
 
12,638 posts, read 8,981,963 times
Reputation: 7458

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The reality is, while I dislike unions, Corker's interference will rightfully lead to a successful appeal of this vote. I'm not interested in their initial statements regarding whether to appeal-I have no doubt they will, and they should.

The state should be forced to pay for the full costs of a new vote-their idiot in the Senate, is the primary cause of the need for a 2nd vote.
Hey bobtn (D), why aren't you crying about Obama's "reprehensible" insertion of himself into this local issue? You appear to be on the DNC/UAW payroll. Again.

 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,665 posts, read 20,010,421 times
Reputation: 7315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Hey bobtn (D), why aren't you crying about Obama's "reprehensible" insertion of himself into this local issue? You appear to be on the DNC/UAW payroll. Again.
Because, IMO, local pols can modify local opinions far more than national ones.

And Corker is supposedly, like I, an absolute Free Market believer. As such, he should have allowed this private sector decision to be made w/o any comment from himself.

I expected better from Corker. I've sent contributions to his prior campaigns. Never again, and I'll be voting anti Corker no matter who his opponents are..forever.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are some labor experts who offered their opinion that there should be a revote because of Corkers threats to withhold incentives if the UAW wins, also some comments on VW's production line that were later denied by VW executives. A senator and legislature threatening to withhold taxpayer funding for a company based on their union representation, we are blazing new territory with that threat. Let the workers decide based the merits, one thing for a company to offer it's opinion but quite another for government representatives.
LOL..like when Obama threatened to hold back medicaid money from states if they didn't sign up for expanded medicaid ?

ROFLMAO at the turn of events here.

The DOJ issues "threats" almost every day to conservative states.
The President has his fair share of "threats" to the Republicans.

No threats were made to the workers.
Such "faux outrage" from the left on this.
Things don't go their way and all of a sudden something "illegal" occurred.


Maybe you still have a chance with burger flippers and the SEIU.

Because all of a sudden the UAW "loves" the south ?
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM
 
27,307 posts, read 16,271,545 times
Reputation: 12102
Good to see the workers have a clue.

Now the UAW is crying massive crocodile tears. I bet they get the NLRB involved.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Reputation: 27720
VW said they still have plans for a worker council at the plant.
So the workers will have representation, just not through a union.

Loss at Volkswagen plant upends union's plan for U.S. South | Reuters
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
 
79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
Reputation: 17209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Because, IMO, local pols can modify local opinions far more than national ones.
If its wrong its wrong.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good to see the workers have a clue.

Now the UAW is crying massive crocodile tears. I bet they get the NLRB involved.
Where else can they go to get membership but the south.

They really don't have much of a leg to stand on.
VW allowed them in the plant and they've been working on this for two years.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Long Island
57,409 posts, read 26,381,149 times
Reputation: 15709
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..like when Obama threatened to hold back medicaid money from states if they didn't sign up for expanded medicaid ?

ROFLMAO at the turn of events here.

The DOJ issues "threats" almost every day to conservative states.
The President has his fair share of "threats" to the Republicans.

No threats were made to the workers.
Such "faux outrage" from the left on this.
Things don't go their way and all of a sudden something "illegal" occurred.


Maybe you still have a chance with burger flippers and the SEIU.

Because all of a sudden the UAW "loves" the south ?
Offering to expand medicaid for Obama care is quite a bit different than a governing body threatening to withhold tax incentives with a union shop.

What DOJ threats?

Now why do you suppose that Corker and the Republican legislature made those threats, could it have been the Right to Work PAC that is interested in the workers, remember VW was neutral so why weren't the politicians neutral.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 PM
 
27,307 posts, read 16,271,545 times
Reputation: 12102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where else can they go to get membership but the south.

They really don't have much of a leg to stand on.
VW allowed them in the plant and they've been working on this for two years.
And now the handwriting is on the walls. With the slow painful death of Detroit, the UAW is crumbling. They had their place and time but they do need to go the way of the dinosaurs.
 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM
 
130 posts, read 134,040 times
Reputation: 113
One is amused to see American conservatives cheering on the fact that some workers will not have union representation. So a question, if Volkswagen made it part of their employment package for hourly workers that they join the union what would the workers do ? Leave Volkswagen ? Or suck it up ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top