Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM

37,813 posts, read 41,113,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
As a union member I will say that I do not agree with your post, although I understand where you are coming from.

Because of the union I feel that I have a stronger voice when it comes to things like salary, benefits, working conditions, etc. We have collective bargaining.

Employees of companies where there are no unions, I think, are weak and have no bargaining power at all. If one or two wronged workers have a criticism or a complaint, the company bosses will either ignore them or tell them to hit the road ... but when labor is organized it is harder to ignore their grievances.

BTW, I remember reading a report that stated that union employees tend to be more reliable, loyal to their employer, and have a better record of productivity than non-union employees.
Do you like how your union leaders spend your dues money?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 AM

37,813 posts, read 41,113,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'll bet there were a lot of 'no' votes because workers wouldn't like their dues going to a political party they don't support. [and we know what party gets union money]
I think that for Tennessee (and its low COL), they are making good wages so they like where they are working now and don't think they have to pay for a union they don't need.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,083,591 times
IT may not be dumb if you can't save money, but it sure is a strong indicator of inability to manage one's life. At some point one becomes responsible for making their own decisions; right or wrong. So, it is very good indicator of needing someone or something - the nanny state? - to make decisions and guide you.

Dumb? No. Weak? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
IF you are good at saving money, then it's dumb. IF you are the type of person who would likely squander it then it's not so dumb.

There are few absolutes in life and this is certainly not one of them.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,497,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
As a union member I will say that I do not agree with your post, although I understand where you are coming from.

Because of the union I feel that I have a stronger voice when it comes to things like salary, benefits, working conditions, etc. We have collective bargaining.

Employees of companies where there are no unions, I think, are weak and have no bargaining power at all. If one or two wronged workers have a criticism or a complaint, the company bosses will either ignore them or tell them to hit the road ... but when labor is organized it is harder to ignore their grievances.

BTW, I remember reading a report that stated that union employees tend to be more reliable, loyal to their employer, and have a better record of productivity than non-union employees.
See, the trouble with your post is that it's riddled with facts, which many, many conservatives bristle against.

The reason why conservatives gloat about VW rejecting the UAW is simply because they don't believe that workers deserve any rights or protections in the workplace. Never have, and never will. And they will fight tooth and nail against those who support the rights of workers, however peaceful they may be.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They had a vote. Those that don't like the outcome, either adapt or become extinct.

In a Conservative world, only the strong survive, to make the nation stronger. No bailout for you!
In a truly conservative world VW would not be getting tax incentives to locate in Tennessee, if they want to be a true conservatives then let VW locate based on it's ability to succeed without government support.

only the strong survive LOL

Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,762,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
In a truly conservative world VW would not be getting tax incentives to locate in Tennessee, if they want to be a true conservatives then let VW locate based on it's ability to succeed without government support.

only the strong survive LOL

In a Conservative world, there would be no income based taxes, in the first place.

The government takes, where taxing is concerned. When was the last time you taxed the government and got a big check, or you would punish them?

When I quit robbing you, you take it as I support you? Too funny!
I'll be right over to get what is mine.

Last edited by BentBow; 02-16-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,774,216 times
With politicians insinuating what would happen if the Union was approved to this plant, I guess it wouldn't be any different than when a union rep comes into my place of work and tells me how my employer is going to screw me at every turn and my only option is to unionize. Then when voting day comes I've got a union rep standing in the room with the voting booths handing out "Union: Vote Yes" stickers yet anyone from management at my employer wasn't allowed in the building.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,774,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I got this comment from an L.A Times article on this. How accurate is it for those familiar with unions in Europe?
Having participated in some business in Germany one time, this seems almost accurate.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
The workers aren't being left to fend for themselves.
VW still plans to pursue a work council to provide labor representation.

Maybe this is a good move. If you all do like the German model then maybe this model is better than belonging to the UAW.
Maybe this is the way US labor should be represented.

The workers want representation..just not the UAW.

Yahoo!
"The outcome of the vote, however, does not change our goal of setting up a works council in Chattanooga," Gunnar Kilian, secretary general of VW's works council said in a statement on Sunday, adding workers continued to back the idea of labor representation at the plant.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
See, the trouble with your post is that it's riddled with facts, which many, many conservatives bristle against.

The reason why conservatives gloat about VW rejecting the UAW is simply because they don't believe that workers deserve any rights or protections in the workplace. Never have, and never will. And they will fight tooth and nail against those who support the rights of workers, however peaceful they may be.
The workers do want to be represented and VW is still going to create a jobs council.
The UAW won't be involved though.
I see this as a good thing bringing the German model over here.
Clean slate. Might be the best move for our future.

If the workers will be represented, and it seems so from VW mgmt comments, then why are you so upset that the workers chose not to belong to the UAW ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.