Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, they don't.
It depends.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's amazing the crap spouted by people on both sides of the argument. It's pretty typical of all arguments.

Toyota's and Honda's are not cheaper than GM Chrysler Ford. Hyundai is some and while I don't want to argue it Hyundai/Kia are lesser quality. Then the employee's were gave a fair shot to state their opinion here and they choose to not go with the union. What's the problem? It was obviously a fair vote.

GM's didn't fail earlier because of the unions but the unions did indeed play a role. In a shrinking world the unions refused to get out of the 50's and 60's. GM was run by idiots also. Part of it was the countries fault also. CEO's are paid by what Wall Street thinks of them as opposed to what is best for the company. If a CEO had made decisions to help out GM in the long term view Wall Street would have punished GM.

That said, I work in a non union plant. Thursday we got a 2.5% raise. No fuss, no bother, no strike. $28.65 an hour. Here in a low COL area, I can't complain. We have voted no on the unions also.

My son works for a union. This has been noted before......the one big benefit he gets from his union is very good health care. Medical-dental-eye and it covers very well for nothing outside his union dues out of his pocket. He has been told by the union that they do not know what is going to happen to that benefit because the government is attacking these benefits as being "too good".

So while those that are pro union will stick to attacking "conservatives" right now it's this administration doing the most damage.
I said "priced comparably" not necessarily cheaper. Understand the difference please. How exactly is this administration doing damage?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stock right winger answer: if you don't like abuse and unfair treatment, then quit or just shut up.

Just telling you ahead of time. LMAO
The answer probably comes about from people who are skilled and have a workset and ethic that others want to have. Not something you typically find amongst the minimum wage industry,

Therefore, if where the SKILLED people work doesn't treat them right, there is ALWAYS someone else who will. I work with computers, and not only enjoy my job and where I work, but work for a "NON UNION" company, that gives is vacation time, (so much sick leave, holidays off, medical, dental, vision, short term and long term disability, life insurance, and a lot more. Incentives and money to take college courses, help with adoption, it's amazing how well we are taken care of.

Of course they want to keep their skilled workers and understand that if they don't take care of their employees, someone else will.

If a Union tried to weasel their way here, we would LAUGH them out.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
heh. In the good 'ol south, there are no jobs, In Tenn. you have to be white and poor to be privileged enough to work in a "right to work " (aka fire w/o cause ) state.

I see the OP still has her hatred of transplants and northerners going strong. Same reason home "skoolin" is so popular in the good old south.

They pay schoolteachers 25k in Tennessee. The economy is abysmal.

Ignorance has led them to being the largest takers of WIC, and Medicaid for unmarried Appalachians, no husband or job, no income.

"And that's what I lobe about the South". an old song.

Redneck lady disses Obama - YouTube
Your ignorance is overwhelming. I work at automaker in the South. Last year I made $96k and that was less than some of my peers. Our plant gave us a 10% (of our salary) bonus on top of that. I annually get a 2-3% raise.

The median public school teacher salary where I live is $50k. They start at $37k. Where I live we have one of the highest popoulations of engineers in the entire US.

I think maybe you need some "skoolin" my friend.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I said "priced comparably" not necessarily cheaper. Understand the difference please. How exactly is this administration doing damage?
evilnewbie said they were cheaper. I stated in my statement that you quoted how the administration is harming the unions. They are attacking their benefit packages.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Tennessee Senator Bob Corker told the workers Volkwagen would receive no more state "incentives" if the workers unionized. It's pure extortion but what were they supposed to do?
He should not have been making any statement to steer the vote, particularly when he had no facts to back it up.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Your ignorance is overwhelming. I work at automaker in the South. Last year I made $96k and that was less than some of my peers. Our plant gave us a 10% (of our salary) bonus on top of that. I annually get a 2-3% raise.

The median public school teacher salary where I live is $50k. They start at $37k. Where I live we have one of the highest popoulations of engineers in the entire US.

I think maybe you need some "skoolin" my friend.
Good for you. You`re getting union benefits without having to pay dues. Do you know why that is? Do you know who brought you that time and a half pay for overtime? Do you know why you get bonus pay for Sunday work? Do you know why you get paid vacation time? You`re welcome.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Good for you. You`re getting union benefits without having to pay dues. Do you know why that is? Do you know who brought you that time and a half pay for overtime? Do you know why you get bonus pay for Sunday work? Do you know why you get paid vacation time? You`re welcome.
Do you know why Detroit looks like God took a crap on a parking lot?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Do you know why Detroit looks like God took a crap on a parking lot?
The reasons are numerous.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There are a myriad of reasons.

The Germans see it as fostering trust, and having the union on the board insures transparency and gives the workers a sense of being more than just an employee. It also streamlines the representation that the company has to deal with on behalf the employees.

But alas...Germans aren't the same dumb goobers that we have in this country...our idiots decided to listen to Tennessee politicians that ran a campaign against union entry.

Americans just can't take yes for an answer.
German management and unions work together to make intelligent decisions for the good of the company, something that is in short supply in the US. There is so much mistrust and greed on both sides in the US, they would rather drive healthy companies into bankruptcy rather than make a reasonable compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies