Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

How would businesses respond to this? Would this really cause businesses to just pay people one dollar an hour or would it cause them to pay competitive wages so that they can compete with other businesses to attract and keep workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
In today's job market, yes, too many people would be paid very low wages. However, jobs would be more available for the under-skilled and undereducated.

In an employee's market, employers have to compete for employees, even lower-skilled ones.

We need an employee's job market for many reasons.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
There would be less demand for illegal labor. Illegal immigration is a construct of small business to get around paying even minimum wages to their employees.

One thing that many do not appreciate is that minimum wages push up everyone's wages. The middle class, actually, is the biggest beneficiary when minimum wages are raised. When the wages of the working poor go up, it just goes to subsistence spending - making ends meet but not raising standard of living much if at all. But when wages of the middle class rise much of it goes to discretionary spending as their subsistence needs are already met. If minimum wages did not exist it would not be just the people at the bottom who would be paid less, it would go all across the board except for the wealthy who would have even more than their current out-sized share of the pie. The middle class would lose discretionary income and would pay the greatest price in quality of life.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In today's job market, yes, too many people would be paid very low wages. However, jobs would be more available for the under-skilled and undereducated.
Yeah, God forbid that low education and low skill people be allowed to develop them in the real world.

I have an analogy for this.

A town along a river is expecting a flood. So, the townspeople all turn out to fill sandbags. It's discovered that some are fast, some are average, and some are slow. But they all get "paid" $0.25 a bag to fill them, from the town's budget.

Along comes the mayor and says "That's not fair". So, he says "anyone who makes less than 40 bags an hour has to leave". And he distributes the payment from the fast people to the ones sitting around. A few folks were handing filled bags to slower people to turn in as theirs, but now nobody is.

The town fails to fill all the sandbags needed and is flooded.

The mayor insists "Next time, we'll raise the quota to 60 bags an hour, we need better people filling sandbags to get more done".

It may be the skill less, uneducated guy making $4.00/hr isn't doing much... but he's doing SOMETHING, which is more than NOTHING. Contributing to the whole of things being done improves the whole.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"Along comes the mayor and says "That's not fair". So, he says "anyone who makes less than 40 bags an hour has to leave". And he distributes the payment from the fast people to the ones sitting around. A few folks were handing filled bags to slower people to turn in as theirs, but now nobody is. "

somehow, that just doesn't make sense.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
In response to the original question, the result would be those with less than minimal skills being paid what they are truly worth.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Along comes the mayor and says "That's not fair". So, he says "anyone who makes less than 40 bags an hour has to leave". And he distributes the payment from the fast people to the ones sitting around. A few folks were handing filled bags to slower people to turn in as theirs, but now nobody is. "

somehow, that just doesn't make sense.
Nor does the minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
In response to the original question, the result would be those with less than minimal skills being paid what they are truly worth.
And there would be a ton of small enterprises who capitalize on low margin activities to contribute to the whole of economic output.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Default 13 year old works for couple bucks an hour....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Yeah, God forbid that low education and low skill people be allowed to develop them in the real world.
I think it's sad that today's youth literally cannot (mayn't) work - when they want to - and increasing min wage only makes it worse. No one is 'forced' to work if they don't want to.

Years back, I knew a young boy, and when he was in grade school (about 13 YO) he 'got a job' at a tire shop. (I think his dad knew the shop owner.) Everyday he would bicycle there after school and sweep the garage for a couple hours before it closed for the day. He made a couple/few bucks an hour (CASH). He really liked seeing the 'guys' work and getting to know them and helping out. He enjoyed it and took a lot of 'pride' in his 'job'. And later he even had 'references' for his first 'real' jobs, as to his reliability, etc.

His work wasn't supplanting a 'regular' position or anything. And, it was an awesome and important experience for him. But it was --> ILLEGAL!!! And, it's too bad that people/kids cannot gain new experience, training, etc, like internships. But we don't allow it. YOU can't make that decision for yourself. And that's unfortunate. And the minimum wage yellers just push the possibilities farther away.

When pigs fly... but, I totally AGREE - there should be NO minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I think it's sad that today's youth literally cannot (mayn't) work - when they want to - and increasing min wage only makes it worse. No one is 'forced' to work if they don't want to.

Years back, I knew a young boy, and when he was in grade school (about 13 YO) he 'got a job' at a tire shop. (I think his dad knew the shop owner.) Everyday he would bicycle there after school and sweep the garage for a couple hours before it closed for the day. He made a couple/few bucks an hour (CASH). He really liked seeing the 'guys' work and getting to know them and helping out. He enjoyed it and took a lot of 'pride' in his 'job'. And later he even had 'references' for his first 'real' jobs, as to his reliability, etc.

His work wasn't supplanting a 'regular' position or anything. And, it was an awesome and important experience for him. But it was --> ILLEGAL!!! And, it's too bad that people/kids cannot gain new experience, training, etc, like internships. But we don't allow it. YOU can't make that decision for yourself. And that's unfortunate. And the minimum wage yellers just push the possibilities farther away.

When pigs fly... but, I totally AGREE - there should be NO minimum wage.
I know this story - I had 5 kids.

Living in a small town, nobody had the money to formally hire kids for a few bucks to do menial tasks. My son learned some great skills working for an upholstery shop, but did it under the table - until he found out the owner was drunk all the time and he got tired of his bad behavior and then he quit.

The best educations about the real world are in real world situations and informal employment. It teaches many things about being valuable vs taking up space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies