Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,172,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I lived in a time when the US was #1 in the world.

#26 is a dismal result.
Considering what the nation spends on public education it is a disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM

582 posts, read 776,779 times
Quote:
I lived in a time when the US was #1 in the world.

#26 is a dismal result.
Really and what surveys were done that proved that the US was #1 in all categorizes??????

Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Really and what surveys were done that proved that the US was #1 in all categorizes??????
My you are a skeptic, aren't you? OK, I'll try to find some surveys from the 50s and 60s when I was in school, but this will take some time. I hope it's worth it.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Was the USA ever No. 1 in education?

For your viewing pleasure

Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,308,025 times
Quote:

Indeed what should be common knowledge is little-known: The US used to be at or near the top in high school performance, and now is ranked in the mediocre mid-twenties. The link does repeat one mythical cause for the decline:

Quote:
Over that time, complacency and inefficiency, reflective of lower priorities in education, and inconsistencies among the various school systems contributed to a decline.
In fact we spend more per student than any other nation except Switzerland. The problem is not in any way "reflective of lower priorities in education."

The problem goes back to the institutional corruption found in most public sector endeavors. We're building a replacement bridge here in Seattle because the old bridge, which was built in 1963 had reached the end of its service life. The old bridge was built in the days of slide rules and drafting tables. The old bridge cost $21 million. The new bridge is projected to cost $4.6 billion. Even after adjusting for inflation, the new bridge will cost over 18 times what the old bridge cost.

The problem can be summed up in 3 words: public sector unions.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM

582 posts, read 776,779 times
Quote:

As the comments stated in the BLOG post, no references were sites, no studies were sited, no data was provided. As presented in the article, the ranking is only a person opinion. Unless qualitative data is data is provided, it is only an opinion.

In truth, I doubt that you will be able to find any such studies that were preformed international. If any studies were conducted, they were limited to a single country. If the results were released, it was done for propaganda purposes and not as a real study. It is not until very recently that any type of international studies were being preformed. Even the NFS data only goes back 20 years.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,717,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually, you just shot yourself in the foot there, pardner.

Scientific theories can never be proven.

Therefore, by claiming that ToE has been proven, you are saying that it is not a scientific theory, which is what Harrier has been saying.

Harrier is glad that you agree.
The ToE is a scientific theory. I challenge you to prove that it's not.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,308,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Read the bottom of page 7-4 (Highlights). It's interesting how people answers changed when phrases like "according to the theory of evolution" or "according to astronomers" were added to the questions. In general it improved scores by 20 points.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind1...pter-7/c07.pdf
I figured that this would turn out to be part of the answer. The guy who wrote the OP's link ironically exposes his own lack of sophistication regarding epistemology by what he says. As do all the posters who jumped on his bandwagon.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

23,405 posts, read 17,081,478 times
The Dems are keenly aware of this void in edu and have taken full advantage of the situation. Demonstrated by Pelosi telling us, 'we have to pass it to see what is in it'.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The problem can be summed up in 3 words: public sector unions.
Who shall not be named, but their initials are NEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies