Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
No, I would be free to work for the highest bidder for my services without interference from government.

If the service I provide to a prospective employer is only worth "a couple of dollars a day" than thats what the market will pay.

It is my responsibility to increase the value of my labor to prospective employers in any given labor market, not the government's.
Then you would enjoy living in a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then you would enjoy living in a third world country.
No I would not.
Because I spent the last 30 years gaining real world job experience and developing 1st world job skills instead of sitting in a dead end job whining about how I can't get a raise or sitting on a couch in my parents basement rolling joints and playing video games.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Principles:

Duty to family, self, and community once the previous are taken care of
Responsibility
Honesty
Well, honesty and responsibility pretty much rule out today's Democrat Party as a viable option for you.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
No I would not.
Because I spent the last 30 years gaining real world job experience and developing 1st world job skills instead of sitting in a dead end job whining about how I can't get a raise or sitting on a couch in my parents basement rolling joints and playing video games.
And I am sure your boss would love to pay you third world wages if he could to increase his profits. Just remember we didn't ship low income jobs overseas, we shipped good paying jobs and left the US with low paying jobs for those once middle class people to fight over.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Principles:

Responsibility
Honesty
That's fine, as a list of principles YOU should stick to.

How about a list of things government should do?
Coupled, of course, with a list of things that government should NOT do.

How about something like:

Government should do only the things vital to a free society, that individuals or groups CANNOT do.

All else should be done ONLY by non-governmental people or groups.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Principles:

Responsibility
Honesty
Can you add self sufficiency and integrity to your list? If you have both of these you have nothing to worry about and several references you made in your post are no longer valid.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
government only has one duty, to protect the country from outside attack, the rest is up to state rights

Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
I believe that a limit of 2 terms for all politicians would go a long way to solving the problems with government in this country.

By 2 terms, I mean;

one in office
one in prison

Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
I am 22 years old male, diverse DNA with Caucasian facial features and rather pale skin. In addition, I am an individual with Agnostic beliefs, employed, healthy, blue-collar with white-collar aspirations. Also, I am hard of hearing.

The following are my beliefs, keep in mind that it's not a complete list and does change from time to time.

To start off, the best form of welfare is a good economy supported by individuals and a government that makes good financial decisions. If politicians are at the point where they offer welfare to get votes something is seriously wrong.

The concept of marriage should be abolished, though I am not entirely sure what to do about the concept of "divorce".

Education should be measured by the countries ability to innovate and do business. Teachers should not teach to the test, tests should not be multiple choice. 50% of education before high school is the job of the parents supporting, overseeing, and inspiring education.

I believe in the concept of evolution, genetic mutation, and climate change.

People are not involved in politics enough. Proof: the election of Rick Scott, Florida governor.

States should promote economic activity.

Treating the citizens as suspects is WRONG!

Making a school or a mall a gun-free zone is unrealistic and not enforceable.

The American population is too sick and is not rich enough to pay for all their health care problems.

A portion of military spending goes from the tax payer to the pockets of corrupt contractors. The raw materials will never see battle. *THAT* should be cut. Also, it's time citizens of other nations either pay us or increase their own military to keep world peace.

The symptom of requests for higher minimum wage / employee benefits to the government is a symptom of a poor economy.
Good luck kid, you have a long uphill climb ahead of you. You are a conservative Republican; you just don't know it yet.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That's fine, as a list of principles YOU should stick to.

How about a list of things government should do?
Coupled, of course, with a list of things that government should NOT do.

How about something like:

Government should do only the things vital to a free society, that individuals or groups CANNOT do.

All else should be done ONLY by non-governmental people or groups.
Keep in mind, too, the fact that government can do NOTHING except:

1.) punish people and
2.) take things away from them.

Government creates nothing, invents nothing.

Government does have a role, of course: Punishing people who violate the rules that government sets.

How government sets those rules, becomes all-important.

Finlly, remember that anything government has, is something they took away from a regular person such as yourself, who will never be able to use it for your own purposes. Maybe you gave it to government voluntarily, and maybe you didn't. But government certainly didn't create it

And the fact that government has it, means that you no longer do. So it had better be something that is used for a purpose that

(a) is necessary for you and those around you, to have done, and
(b) that you and those around you CANNOT do for yourselves.

Because remember: Government can do nothing except punish people and take things away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies