Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

"After Millions/Billions Donated to Cancer Research, Why No Signficiant Breakthroughs?"

We haven't even scratched the surface, it's pretty depressing. It's apparently far more complex than they ever imagined. I even heard one scientist say we aren't intelligent enough to find the answers. Guess he was a tad down in the dumps to say the least. People have now spent their entire lives on this and have come up with nothing. To the OP, don't give any more money if you don't want to. Personally, I'm going to keep giving. I'll probably be long gone, but I think we'll find the cures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"After Millions/Billions Donated to Cancer Research, Why No Signficiant Breakthroughs?"

We haven't even scratched the surface, it's pretty depressing. It's apparently far more complex than they ever imagined. I even heard one scientist say we aren't intelligent enough to find the answers. Guess he was a tad down in the dumps to say the least. People have now spent their entire lives on this and have come up with nothing. To the OP, don't give any more money if you don't want to. Personally, I'm going to keep giving. I'll probably be long gone, but I think we'll find the cures.
Low hanging fruit and diminishing returns are the real reasons why Cancer Research isn't seeing a lot of breakthroughs. I think it will take a while before anything significant comes into play.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
We do a fair bit of research in the UK

Quote:
The Royal Marsden (London) and its academic partner, The Institute of Cancer Research (UK), have discovered or developed more new anti-cancer drugs than the National Cancer Institute in the USA.

World-leading cancer expertise at The Royal Marsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer Research UK

“Our research is behind 19 of the top 20 drugs used to treat cancer patients worldwide today. Our work has underpinned the huge progress we are now seeing in preventing more deaths from lung cancer. And our progress over decades has helped to develop radiotherapy as a major form of treatment for half of all cancer patients.

Deaths from common cancers at 40-year low - Telegraph
According to Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry, one in five of the world's biggest-selling prescription drugs are developed in the UK. The UK has less than 1% of the world population but produces over 15% of the worlds most influential scientific papers.

Whilst British Scientists Peter Manfield and Godfrey Hounsfield were instrumental in the development of the MRI Machines and CT Scanners used to diagnose Cancer and other such conditions, and were awarded Noble Prizes for their efforts.

Peter Mansfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godfrey Hounsfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Sure are a lot of people on this thread who have OPINIONS! without information.

There are hundreds of cancers. There will never be a cure for CANCER in the same way there will never be a cure for AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASE. There are treatments and, yes, cures for some of the individual diseases, but neither cancer nor auto-immune disease are monoliths.

My cancer, for instance, is cured almost 90% of the time overall. It's a rare cancer with only 8000 people a year in the US diagnosed, and it further breaks down into 4 stages and 4 subtypes. There are different treatments. If first line treatment does not cure the disease, a stem cell/bone marrow transplant is likely to. If the transplant doesn't work, there are several other rounds of chemo and also a 2ND type of stem cell transplant that can be performed. Very few people have resistant disease - and even in the 3 years since I was diagnosed, there are several NEW treatment options. Unfortunately, even at the same stage and same subtype, chemotherapy and radiation can have different success rates due to the patient's body and body chemistry. That's why there's not a one-shot deal, even for specific cancers.

Thyroid, prostate, and testicular cancers also have high cure rates. So do leukemia and most lymphomas. Early stage breast cancer can be curable.

It's shocking to me that anyone can say there have been no cancer breakthroughs. In just 3 years, there have been quite a few! You're just not looking, and frankly, they're just not that exciting outside of the individual cancer's communities themselves.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
If you cure cancer , there is billions and trillions of dollars lost and gone ! So , no there wont be a cure but they provide treatments that produce billions and trillions of dollars.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
If you cure cancer , there is billions and trillions of dollars lost and gone ! So , no there wont be a cure but they provide treatments that produce billions and trillions of dollars.
Guess I'm a figment of my own imagination then.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Guess I'm a figment of my own imagination then.
It is so easy to have opinions without regard to facts that contradict what some people believe. I guess my son is a figment of my imagination, too. As are my MIL (long therm breast cancer survivor) and aunt (also long term breast cancer).

The survival rate for the leukemia my son had now approaches 90%. It was about 75% when he was diagnosed.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The survival rates for many types of Cancer have increased dramatically over recent decades, and for many cancers this means going from an era when most patients died of the disease to an era where the majority survive and go on to lead normal lives.
Longer survival times isn't the same as mortality reduction. Fact is the war on cancer has pretty much been a near total failure.

The cancer industry is a racket. Irrefutable evidence is abound how they've eradicated promising relevant unconventional therapies, ignored and hidden evidence that shows their toxic invasive therapies and procedures are more harmful than helpful (read for instance
"The Mammogram Myth" by Rolf Hefti), and have used the corporate media to spread propaganda and exaggerations about their treatments.

Example, the promotion of the highly deceptive concept of survival time among the public and medical students, making them believe in the glory of the orthodox cancer establishment.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilau9 View Post
Longer survival times isn't the same as mortality reduction. Fact is the war on cancer has pretty much been a near total failure.

Except I didn't say longer survival, I said survival rates full stop, as in mortality reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilau9
The cancer industry is a racket. Irrefutable evidence is abound how they've eradicated promising relevant unconventional therapies, ignored and hidden evidence that shows their toxic invasive therapies and procedures are more harmful than helpful (read for instance
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilau9
"The Mammogram Myth" by Rolf Hefti), and have used the corporate media to spread propaganda and exaggerations about their treatments.

Example, the promotion of the highly deceptive concept of survival time among the public and medical students, making them believe in the glory of the orthodox cancer establishment.
I don't agree

Cancer hope as survival rates double - Telegraph

Deaths from common cancers at 40-year low - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies