Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times

Advertisements

Again: When MILLIONS AND BILLIONS are being spent on research, it would be expected that there would be significant positive results, and if you're going to argue that there can't be significant positive results, then all of the money should be given back or no more should be taken. You can't argue for research and at the same time say "cancer is complicated, you can't really expect a cure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

HOW ARE THE MILLIIONS AND BILLIONS JUSTIFIED?

I'm beginning to think it's just a tax write off for foundations - otherwise, why would they not have expectations? It makes no sense. If you give one million for cancer research and there are no results, why would you then give 99 million more?

Last edited by imcurious; 02-18-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Claiming there have been no significant breakthroughs is an admission of ignorance on the topic.

Just like if someone were to start a thread in the baseball forum about how payrolls haven't been increasing the past 20 years..

2. See #1.
Please see Post #16 and check out the link and then comment as to why you disagree that the incidence rate of cancer has gone up, dramatically.

It's also true that the "cure" for many cancers does not extend life.

Those are two facts I would like to see you dispute.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Cancer is probably going to keep increasing since we've created hospitable environments for things that are bad for us. Fortunately, treatments have been developed that offer close-to-cures for many types that routinely killed people not that long ago. It's a moving target so you can't just claim not progress has been made since we still have cancer. That's a really stupid way of thinking/not thinking.

We (humanity) are going to die off eventually and cancer is but one of the ways that will contribute to our downfall. WE ARE NOT SPECIAL.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Again: When MILLIONS AND BILLIONS are being spent on research, it would be expected that there would be significant positive results, and if you're going to argue that there can't be significant positive results, then all of the money should be given back or no more should be taken. You can't argue for research and at the same time say "cancer is complicated, you can't really expect a cure."
Quote:
HOW ARE THE MILLIIONS AND BILLIONS JUSTIFIED?

I'm beginning to think it's just a tax right off for foundations - otherwise, why would they not have expectations? It makes no sense. If you give one million for cancer research and there are no results, why would you then give 99 million more?
Please answer my post on Page 1 where I outline SPECIFICALLY what advances were made, particularly in the areas of genomics, immunotherapy, and stem cell transplant research.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Please see Post #16 and check out the link and then comment as to why you disagree that the incidence rate of cancer has gone up, dramatically.

It's also true that the "cure" for many cancers does not extend life.

Those are two facts I would like to see you dispute.
Annual statistics reporting from the American Cancer Society shows the death rate from cancer in the US has fallen 20% from its peak in 1991.

Facts and Figures Report: Declines in Cancer Deaths Reach Milestone

And as was previously stated multiple times, detection methods and access has improved dramatically as has lifespan.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Annual statistics reporting from the American Cancer Society shows the death rate from cancer in the US has fallen 20% from its peak in 1991.

Facts and Figures Report: Declines in Cancer Deaths Reach Milestone

And as was previously stated multiple times, detection methods and access has improved dramatically as has lifespan.
Those numbers are skewed. That's not actually what is happening.

The incidence rate is way up.

Slash and burn "cures" poison the system and sometimes increase cancer (Google studies).

Lung Cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer . . . the incidence is increasing.

Pancreatic cancer will kill you in a few, short months (yet doctors still prescribe radiation and chemo, so that people's last few days are more miserable than is necessary).

I don't know WHY anyone would argue that there has been significant progress when the incidence rates are way up.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
As someone who goes to treatment daily I know that everyday above ground is only because of the resources expended going all the way back to 1921 when they first Id'd the type of cancer from which I suffer. Everyday I send my young children off to school and take them off the bus in the afternoon validates every freakin dime ever given or spent to fight this disease. I had a good friend who lived for 6 years after his diagnoses pass away not to long ago. 6 great years only because of the treatments made available to him through the research done in the past. I am 2 years into it after my diagnoses and thank God everyday for the opportunity to live one more day for my children

I would be dead by now if not for treatment and depending on how tough an individual is they cant predict how long someone with the will and determination can live. There are new agents and therepies coming around the corner everyday. The OP would have to go through what im going through to value the progress that has already been made. Be happy in your ignorance

Old 02-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
As someone who goes to treatment daily I know that everyday above ground is only because of the resources expended going all the way back to 1921 when they first Id'd the type of cancer from which I suffer. Everyday I send my young children off to school and take them off the bus in the afternoon validates every freakin dime ever given or spent to fight this disease. I had a good friend who lived for 6 years after his diagnoses pass away not to long ago. 6 great years only because of the treatments made available to him through the research done in the past. I am 2 years into it after my diagnoses and thank God everyday for the opportunity to live one more day for my children

I would be dead by now if not for treatment and depending on how tough an individual is they cant predict how long someone with the will and determination can live. There are new agents and therepies coming around the corner everyday. The OP would have to go through what im going through to value the progress that has already been made. Be happy in your ignorance
Sorry you are ill. Why do you think you have cancer?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Those numbers are skewed. That's not actually what is happening.

The incidence rate is way up.

Slash and burn "cures" poison the system and sometimes increase cancer (Google studies).

Lung Cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer . . . the incidence is increasing.

Pancreatic cancer will kill you in a few, short months (yet doctors still prescribe radiation and chemo, so that people's last few days are more miserable than is necessary).

I don't know WHY anyone would argue that there has been significant progress when the incidence rates are way up.
Again, detection and diagnosis is at an all-time high. People are living longer. As for your other claims, please provide a source for your claims.

Quote:
Sorry you are ill. Why do you think you have cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies