Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government get out of the marriage business
Yes 25 58.14%
No 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
They have already sued a church before for no performing a gay ceremony.
Cite please.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It does to them. And unfortunately, marriage to most people means something done in a church in front of a priest.

So we should just end marriage as a state function. Diffuses the whole thing.
Those church weddings without a civil marriage contract are moot, they mean nothing to the government. Why must you and others be reminded of that over and over, YOUR CHURCH WEDDINGS MEAN SQUAT. Understand

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Most gay couples are just like you and me, FP. They go to work, pay their taxes, participate in their community and live a pretty normal life. Why shouldn't these adults also benefit from the same legal privileges and benefits you and I enjoy as married couples?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
It does to them. And unfortunately, marriage to most people means something done in a church in front of a priest.

What do you mean by "end[ing] marriage as a state function"?

Do you mean simply eliminating it, thereby eliminating the 1000+ legal rights conferred by it (such as spousal immigration visas, being allowed to live with your spouse in military base housing, having the right to sue for wrongful death in a court of law should someone negligently or intentionally kill your spouse, your spouse assuming the legal right of making emergency medical decisions on your behalf, your spouse automatically inheriting you assets if you die without a will, etc.)

Or do you mean we should simply rename civil marriage something else?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:

No thank you, my wife and I are not religious and got married on the bank of the Willamette River, I will keep my civil marriage from the state of Oregon. If those that don't like civil marriage, then they can get their religious marriage in their own church and call it good.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Marriage should be abolished as a state sanctioned anything.

If someone wants to enter a legal contract to share parental, monetary, and other responsibilities, then sign a contract that lays out the expected actions, and the consequences for breaking the agreement.

But marriage is a religious ceremony. As such, states and the federal government should not be participating in it. Everyone should be taxed on the individual. Living with someone shouldn't penalize or reward you.

Just my two cents
The government's interest in marriage should be confined to matters of inheritance and responsibility for children. Than can all be handled by civil law. It does not require any recognition of "marriage." Marriage should have zero impact on taxes. Two people earning wages that are married should file two tax returns.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The government does not support your bigotry, nor your biases, it supports all of its citizens. Same sex marriage is not deviant. You are thinking with your disgust of same sex, well, do not have same sex, do not have a same sex marriage, stop thinking about it. I do not think about straight sex, why do all of you anti gays fixate on the sex people have, that to me is a mental disorder and I think that is deviant.
"Hater", "Bigot", "Delusional". Predictable. Your perversion is an abomination to God. If we can't stop you from polluting society with your perversions, God certainly will.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The government's interest in marriage should be confined to matters of inheritance and responsibility for children. Than can all be handled by civil law. It does not require any recognition of "marriage." Marriage should have zero impact on taxes. Two people earning wages that are married should file two tax returns.
No thank you, I filed joint taxes for the first time in my life this year and it was awesome, so much easier doing one tax return than two, and then having to pay the fees for filing twice.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
Couple suing to force church to perform gay marriage - Illinois Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Cite please.
There you go. I don't care if gay people get married too much, but it's the mentality of the gay activsts that I have a problem with. It's' ' if you disagree with us prepare to be destroyed' '.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Hater", "Bigot", "Delusional". Predictable. Your perversion is an abomination to God. If we can't stop you from polluting society with your perversions, God certainly will.
Your God is an abomination to G-d. I don't try to stop you from the ultimate blasphemy of worshipping a false messiah so what right do you have to dictate what others of different (or no) faith traditions do in their own lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies