Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The root of the problem was caused by Britain in the first place.

Who told the Brits to participate in the slave trade and turn an island into a damn plantation?

Jamaica is Britain's legacy...you reap what you sow.
What ever happened to treating people as INDIVIDUALS?? I constantly hear people on this forum like Green mariner continually say that just because other blacks commit crime to not lump him in as a criminal as well. So why can't you apply the same rule to here where every single British person living in 2014 had NOTHING to do with what their ancestors from hundreds of years ago did? Why are you treating whites as a single monolithic group that has to forever pay for the crimes of their ancestors?

How hypocritical is that? 'Don't treat us blacks as a single group, BUT we can do it to anyone else if we feel like it.' Yep very fair. >_>

And let's be real here, even if you gave them the money they wanted do you actually believe they would do something useful with it like use to build their country to be a better place? I seriously doubt it. They'll simply find a way to pi$$ it all away or have a bunch of it be stolen by a few individuals and in the end all that money will have been wasted anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
What ever happened to treating people as INDIVIDUALS?? I constantly hear people on this forum like Green mariner continually say that just because other blacks commit crime to not lump him in as a criminal as well. So why can't you apply the same rule to here where every single British person living in 2014 had NOTHING to do with what their ancestors from hundreds of years ago did? Why are you treating whites as a single monolithic group that has to forever pay for the crimes of their ancestors?

How hypocritical is that? 'Don't treat us blacks as a single group, BUT we can do it to anyone else if we feel like it.' Yep very fair. >_>

And let's be real here, even if you gave them the money they wanted do you actually believe they would do something useful with it like use to build their country to be a better place? I seriously doubt it. They'll simply find a way to pi$$ it all away or have a bunch of it be stolen by a few individuals and in the end all that money will have been wasted anyways.
Yes , it has to do with the wealth and possessions that Britain enjoys now , it has to do with the millions of slaves who died in captivity for no other reasons than being a slave.

Years of free labors of off slavery is a fortune that Britain amassed for centuries.

The stature and the wealth that Britain enjoys now is partly due to its colonies and slave trade so nobody can say ,it has nothing to do with me, we're not talking about individuals as such but Governments.
You are directly or indirectly enjoying some of those benefits, traveling to a British colony without a visa, is one of them, walking on a boulevard that was built by slaves, small things but thanks to slavery.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Yes , it has to do with the wealth and possessions that Britain enjoys now , it has to do with the millions of slaves who died in captivity for no other reasons than being a slave.

Years of free labors of off slavery is a fortune that Britain amassed for centuries.

The stature and the wealth that Britain enjoys now is partly due to its colonies and slave trade so nobody can say ,it has nothing to do with me, we're not talking about individuals as such but Governments.
You are directly or indirectly enjoying some of those benefits, traveling to a British colony without a visa, is one of them, walking on a boulevard that was built by slaves, small things but thanks to slavery.
The British Empire did benefit having Jamaica as a colony, BUT its a two way street and Jamaica also benefitted as well. Its funny how everytime someone brings up slavery and how the world 'raped' Africa and its inhabitants of its wealth and freedom, they completely forget that without the world coming to them, every single black nation today would STILL be centuries behind in development. Unlike in many places in Europe and Asia where the people there invented and discovered alot of the technologies and engineering and advanced humankind forward into the modern age, blacks completely skipped all this and had everything given to them on a silver platter.

Without the world coming to Africa, blacks would STILL not be at even the Roman level of development in 2014. Literally everything modern in terms of engineering, technology, medicine etc was given to them and it allowed them to leap frog into the modern age, so as much death and destruction the world has caused on them, they also gained very much from it too. Maybe this was the wrong thing to do. Maybe the world should've left blacks to stay as primitive as they've always been because they sure as heck don't seem very happy now.

And according to here at least a decent portion of Jamaicans actually WANT to be ruled by Britain again:

We should have stayed with Britain: Shock poll reveals 60% of Jamaicans think they'd be better as a colony | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Most Jamaicans believe they would be better off if they were still ruled by Britain, a poll shows.
In a harsh indictment of nearly 50 years of independence, 60 per cent of those surveyed hanker for the days when the country was Britain’s biggest Caribbean colony.
Only 17 per cent said the crime-ridden, poverty-stricken nation would be worse off under British rule.
The depth of feeling is particularly astonishing as generations of Jamaican leaders have portrayed the British as oppressors who subjected the Caribbean to slavery.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
^ all you have to do is compare independent Jamaica to the still British Bermuda or the Cayman Islands and it becomes obvious why.

Simply put, independence has been a disaster in virtually every post 1945 case.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ all you have to do is compare independent Jamaica to the still British Bermuda or the Cayman Islands and it becomes obvious why.

Simply put, independence has been a disaster in virtually every post 1945 case.
That's the classical excuse of the colonizers, maybe it's about time also that former colony of USA colonize Britain since America is doing much better than the miniscule island.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
That's the classical excuse of the colonizers, maybe it's about time also that former colony of USA colonize Britain since America is doing much better than the miniscule island.

It's awfully eye-rolling from an outsider's perspective.

The Jamaicans chose to become independent, and lost their chance to continue feeding at the breast of Britain. Yeah, Britain was a colonizer, and without that colonization there'd be no "Jamaica" to begin with. The entire population of that island is pretty much non-indigenous to that Island.

What it sounds like is that Jamaica is lagging in developing on their own, so now they want cash infusion from Britain.

Again, from an outsider's perspective it seems very much like a child that moves out of the house on his 17th birthday because they think they're grown and that their parents are horrible oppressors, and then come crawling back at age 27 to live with mom and dad.

They should have just stayed a colony if they can't make it on their own or need aid money to stay afloat as independent.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

I'm not Green Mariner...i don't make pleas for racial understanding and i really don't care whom or what groups you lump me in with. If you lump me in with an undesirable group, then just stay out of my way and i'll stay out of yours. That's my style. So i can't really say much more about that part of your post...

Anyway, my whole take on this issue is simple; i'm not Jamaican NOR am i British. Who am i to take sides in this dispute? This is between two parties that i have ZERO to do with.

Why should i sit here and crow on about how Brits of today have no ties to slavery, or from the other side, how Jamaicans are entitled to remuneration for slavery? And moreover, who am i to say what the Jamaicans should or shouldn't get from Britain? It's not my money, and i have no skin in the game.

Now i may or may not agree with you that the money would be wasted, but that doesn't matter. I don't count other people's money or tell them what to do with it once they get it. That's none of my concern anyway.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
The

And according to here at least a decent portion of Jamaicans actually WANT to be ruled by Britain again:

We should have stayed with Britain: Shock poll reveals 60% of Jamaicans think they'd be better as a colony | Daily Mail Online

How many Jamaicans know what life was like under British rule before they got universal suffrage in 1944?

Indeed a similar poll stated that 90% of Jamaicans want Jamaica to become a state of the USA.

People are dissatisfied with the current state of affairs and don't see any hope of change so if asked certain questions they will provide certain answers.

That certainly doesn't suggest that Jamaica in 1944 was a better place than it is today.

Indeed I remember suggestions in the 70s when the UK was in the doldrums that being part of the USA mightn't have been a bad idea. Same hopelessness leading to same answers not backed by any deep analysis.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Name one British person alive today that owned or traded slaves.

I don't necessarily support claims for reparations because I think that such energy is better spent attempting to achieve goals which will more likely lead to success. Europe is not going to pay reparations and there is nothing that Caribbean nations can do to force them.

But to claim that Britain didn't benefit tremendously from the wealth generated in the 18th century in its slave run sugar plantations in the Caribbean is nonsense. Before these were established Britain was a mediocre run of the mill European nation. Thanks to the white gold which sugar was Britain emerged as a major power.

And the benefits accrue today, so yes the UK did benefit from the sugar plantations supported by the slave trade, and the average English man is better off today as a result of that.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's awfully eye-rolling from an outsider's perspective.

The Jamaicans chose to become independent, and lost their chance to continue feeding at the breast of Britain..

You got the story wrong. The Caribbean nations had served their purpose generating huge wealth for the UK in the 18th century.

By the 20th century they had become colonial backwaters and a drain to their purse, so they strongly encouraged these islands (and Guyana on the South American mainland) to go their merry way.

France absorbed their Caribbean territories, and we can debate the pluses and minuses of that. The UK had absolutely no interest in that, especially after their more valuable colonies in India and Africa demanded independence.

Indeed the UK barred the entry of its BLACK colonials from entering the UK after 1962, this NOT being something that any Caribbean country asked for. We all know about the infamous "if you want an "N" for a neighbor, vote Labor". This being the result of race riots in the late 50s when gangs of English goons assaulted West Indian women and children. The West Indians were blamed for that! It was interesting how anti immigrant the British were, a people who have migrated the entire world over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies