Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Too bad the old boy could not read his bible that he says he believes in. The Apostle of the Gentiles Paul stated that miracles and healings would pass away { 1 Cor 12}. And they did up until the early 20th century when the Pentacostal movement was born { to my limited knowledge}.
12 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

1 Cor 12 1-11.

I don't see where it states they will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Darwin Award nominee, gunning for the prize.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
See 1 Cor 13. My mistake I thought the verses I was referring to were in chapter 12.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
See 1 Cor 13. My mistake I thought the verses I was referring to were in chapter 12.
I don't pretend to be an expert. I still don't see it. Maybe it's me.

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, it's one thing for them to handle copperheads but that guy had western diamondbacks and timber rattlesnakes, both of which have vastly more dangerous bites.

Oh well, maybe next service if they have any real faith they can secure a black mamba and pass it around.

Won't have to worry about pesky things like losing a finger but will need a full supply of body bags.

Would be interesting if they also started doing that whole Daniel in the lions den thing.

Local Zookeeper: "Wierd, I keep finding shoes and bibles in the lion enclosure and they don't seem to be hungry lately...."
Lol! Love it!
They should also hurl themselves into the bellies of whales. Cheap real estate.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Where was your god Jesus boy? LMAO, that was a Kodak moment. Idiots who believe in talking snakes deserve to get bit by them.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
You do not see where prophesy will cease? or speaking in tongues will be stilled? and those that remain are faith ,hope, and love. If the miracle of getting bit by a snake and living was still in play today then that man would have lived. Or in Tiltons and others case where if they really could heal then why do we need hospitals?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Well what ever else you say, at least this one seems to have believed what he was preaching.
From what I read, this man believed that if one were bitten by a snake and died (I guess while in the Spirit, not just wandering around outside), then that meant you were found Wanting by God, and hence would go to a very, very warm place.

It was apparently his ninth bite. I think he should have folded his cards after the first bite, and said "I'm good".

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
From what I read, this man believed that if one were bitten by a snake and died (I guess while in the Spirit, not just wandering around outside), then that meant you were found Wanting by God, and hence would go to a very, very warm place.

It was apparently his ninth bite. I think he should have folded his cards after the first bite, and said "I'm good".
That's my point. He probably thought he had passed the "test" so many times that he was good with god and didn't need treatment. He gambled and lost... But he kept the faith.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
The snake bit the preacher, thereby proving that there is no professional courtesy any more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies