Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM
 
11,020 posts, read 5,885,955 times
Reputation: 11234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
Are you a tax expert who has worked in the field ? private firm or with a company .
I spent a few years with a Big 6 accounting firm. Now I am in academia, and own a small business. Why do you ask?

 
Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM
 
650 posts, read 518,129 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I spent a few years with a Big 6 accounting firm. Now I am in academia, and own a small business. Why do you ask?
Because people in key financial positions know the deal.

Last edited by alexcanter; 02-17-2014 at 04:21 PM..
 
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Ohio
24,620 posts, read 19,345,129 times
Reputation: 21752
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
It's a straw man argument.
Since the others schooled you on Automation, I'll take the liberty of helping you grasp the concept of Straw Man Fallacies...

Quote:
Straw Man

Your reasoning contains the straw man fallacy whenever you attribute an easily refuted position to your opponent, one that the opponent wouldn’t endorse, and then proceed to attack the easily refuted position (the straw man) believing you have undermined the opponent’s actual position. If the misrepresentation is on purpose, then the straw man fallacy is caused by lying.
Fallacies*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

Do try to get it right from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Automation will always be cheaper than labor when you consider unemployment insurance, liability, dependability, sick days etc.
No....that is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
It's a win win for society the way I see it.
Uh-huh...well, try pulling your head out of the sand and taking a look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And what if that fast food manager needs every single one of those dozen to function? Also, you are assuming that the fast food manager would need to fire anyone to begin with because minimum wage went up.
Look at all the people left unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
By that logic, there was massive layoffs in the fast food industry in Washington and Oregon who just raised their minimum wage and have the highest minimum wages in the country.
It's Economics...it's not a train...it doesn't run on a freaking schedule.

The effects of any economic policies can take 90 days to 18 months to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a minimum wage to prevent people from paying people that make minimum wage below that amount. If you are applying for a minimum wage job that the employer set at $2/hr, you aren't going to have much negotiation power.
Employers do not set wages.....the Laws of Economics do that.

The fact that so few make minimum wage is proof of how wrong you really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Yeah just like those slaves got paid what they were worth. Or those women, or minors, or non union laborers. Or Chinese railroad workers...
Oh, yes, of course......the standard LWNJ knee-jerk canned responses.

I'm shocked Left-Wingers haven't mentioned FOX News or talk radio yet.

What about the Peasants' Rebellion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Here's a fun fact: The employer decides what to pay you, he's not obligated to be fair.
The Laws of Economics decide, not employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a failed attempt to say people will jump on the tech bandwagon sooner.
Um, they will if they have reason to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who in their right mind wants to work for less than $7.35/hr?
What, are you god now?

He worked for $5.75/hour and was bad in the eyes of UrbanLife78. Hellfire and Brimstone. A holiday to UrbanLife78 tomorrow!

The wages and benefits people are willing to accept for employment is none of your business.

Your short-sightedness prevents you from seeing the possiblilty that some people would be willing to ---gasp!--- work for less than the god-appointed wage of $7.35/hour in order to get better benefits or more benefits, or a benefit not currently offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
To all those who do not want to raise the min wage...

why not drop the min wage to 5 dollars an hour?
Why not stop trying to be so ridiculous?

Which part of the "United States " <---- hint....plural......do you not understand?

Are you even aware that you have 1,539 separately functioning economies within the "United States " <---- hint....plural...?

Do you know that the Cost-of-Living varies hugely across the "United States " <---- hint....plural....?

There are people earning $8/hour who have an higher standard of living than people earning $20/hour precisely because the Cost-of-Living varies that freaking much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
see where following the phony fox news and their rudeness about hard working lower paid people gets you ? a contribution representing no morals.
Ah, I spoke to soon.....I just knew FOX News was going to pop up somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would be fine with our country setting up a plan to raise the minimum wage each year until we get it up to $15/hr.
Yeah, I bet you would.

You claimed be an employer, then claimed to be an independent contractor, then claimed to be a contractor and the reality is you're probably an $8.50/hour temp-to-fire worker....I can see why you'd be pushing for an increase in minimum wage.

Liberally....


Mircea
 
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
 
11,020 posts, read 5,885,955 times
Reputation: 11234
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
Because if you have had enough experience in the field you'd know there is no such thing as playing everything by the books straight up. If something can be bent, it will be bent. There is zero allegiance with anything but the year end. Or..other little tricks and surprise's.
That's pretty funny. My experience is quite extensive, I haven't had seen what you're describing.

Now, tell me about your experience that leads you to that conclusion.

**Too bad I replied before you were able to edit your post.**

Now explain yourself. I call BS.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 02-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Updated due to alexcanter's edit.
 
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM
 
804 posts, read 624,088 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Many of the jobs you think "can't be automated" actually can, it's just not worth the cost - it's cheaper to pay people than to bring in the machines. But if you double+ the cost of the labor performing those tasks, guess what happens? Relatively speaking, the cost of those machines comes way down..
Nope. Not every job can be automated. many companies tried to automate customer service and every one failed: people still press zero to speak to a live person.
 
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM
 
804 posts, read 624,088 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Typical hyperbole from the right's defenseless position.

Reminds me of "how could you let gays get married? What's to stop people from marrying their cat or a toaster?"

Just to make sure were on the same page: I am against people marrying toasters. On religious grounds.
 
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Minnysoda
10,650 posts, read 10,800,809 times
Reputation: 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate

See the news today???
SO more people standing around with their thumb in their buts is a good thing?

U.S. minimum wage hike would kill jobs but alleviate poverty: CBO | Reuters
 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM
 
804 posts, read 624,088 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Why should I/we taxpayers have to pay for anyone. Just because they chose to have children, I'm asking; why are they having children if they can't afford to take care of them by themselves.

Most minimum wage jobs are for lower skilled. A stepping stone to gain experience. .
But these will not dissappear even if everybody gets an MBA. Its not a stepping stone, its a reality for many people in many parts of the country: minimum wage or low paying jobs that's all available.
 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
 
Location: USA
5,740 posts, read 5,486,177 times
Reputation: 3672
Let's compromise: raise the minimum wage and get rid of welfare.
 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
 
804 posts, read 624,088 times
Reputation: 156
oh my God. did you just take your first economic class so you believe that prices or wages are set by a simple supply and demand curve?




Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Take a look at the following graph:




I am curious how anyone in the "raise minimum wage" camp plans to deal with the resulting unemployment. Will the laws of economics be miraculously suspended? Will something else happen to make sure that there is no increase in unemployment? Or are you OK with the increase in unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top