Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:11 PM

924 posts, read 669,397 times

Advertisements

It's a win win for society the way I see it.

Either A: Consumers have more money in their pockets, the economy recovers, or B: Automation takes hold instead and people lose even more jobs. All the more reason to finally eat the rich.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,847,565 times
This is insane. Simple scenario. You own a small bakery. You employ six people, with labor costs and rent being your largest expense. You currently net $70k per year from your bakery. Six people work there, all at 25 hours per week, $8 / hr. They do things like man the counter, clean up, restock, etc. thats 150 man labor hours a week you pay out, $1200 per week. Now that doubles. You pay $16/hr, to try and draw an employee better than the clown making minimum wage at mcdonalds. That's $1200 a week in extra costs that cut into your earnings. Now with an extra $60k per year in labor costs, the owner nets $10k, much less than any of the part time workers doing much less, with no real risk. That's not going to happen so likely three of these people will lose their jobs.

You want to ask questions:
1) why are people bringing babies into this world when they are earning minimum wage?
2) you think some pimple faced 15 year old only with no work experience, able to work 6pm -9pm 3 nights a week - has never had a job, and can barely talk to adults, deserves to earn $15/hr?
3) do you know what raising the minimum wage to $15 does to all the jobs earning $15-$20/hr now? The jobs for people with some developed skills and are a good stepping stone forward? Do employers just simply double their pay? Raising the minimum wage that drastically literally re calibrates the entire wage structure, likely just resulting in inflation that would crush the country.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,576,918 times
Why $15? Why not $100 ?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,816,024 times
Raising the minimum wage to $15 / hr would create jobs and revive the economy

A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him. He says, "I've got good news, and I've got bad news."

"The good news is, the new Minimum Wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,318,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why $15? Why not $100 ?
Why not a billion an hour? Why do you right wingers always resort to this idiotic question. I will ask you why should minimum wage be $100/hr?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Raising the minimum wage to $15 / hr would create jobs and revive the economy

A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him. He says, "I've got good news, and I've got bad news."

"The good news is, the new Minimum Wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."
And what if that fast food manager needs every single one of those dozen to function? Also, you are assuming that the fast food manager would need to fire anyone to begin with because minimum wage went up. By that logic, there was massive layoffs in the fast food industry in Washington and Oregon who just raised their minimum wage and have the highest minimum wages in the country.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM

924 posts, read 669,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why not a billion an hour? Why do you right wingers always resort to this idiotic question. I will ask you why should minimum wage be $100/hr?
Typical hyperbole from the right's defenseless position.

Reminds me of "how could you let gays get married? What's to stop people from marrying their cat or a toaster?"

Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Jason's Deli (chain) put in a self serve kiosk for those who just want the soup and salad bar.
Press a few buttons, swipe your card and you're done and off eating.

I've been there a few times and sometimes that line is longer then the one to speak to a person (sandwich orders).

I can see kiosks replacing most of the employees at the ordering lines. Most people get what's on the menu and they would only need a few humans for those folks that have those special orders.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,247,151 times
I was kind of thinking it is a matter of supply and demand. If there were less illegal immigrants here you would have to hire people at $15/hour at least or nobody would show up and wouldn't you need to make it a law.

There shouldn't be a minimum wage anyway. It really makes no sense when you think about it. If they are worth $15/hr they will get it.

I am also for our elected officials to go on Obama Care for their health plan and they can also use Social Security or a 401K for their retirement since they feel so strongly about it I think it would be good for them as well.

Also, when they leave office they need to hire their own security force to protect them and they should not carry a firearm if that is how they voted.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jason's Deli (chain) put in a self serve kiosk for those who just want the soup and salad bar.
Press a few buttons, swipe your card and you're done and off eating.

I've been there a few times and sometimes that line is longer then the one to speak to a person (sandwich orders).

I can see kiosks replacing most of the employees at the ordering lines. Most people get what's on the menu and they would only need a few humans for those folks that have those special orders.
So basically you are saying something that was self service from the beginning is now more self service, and there are sometimes more people that want soup and salad than they want a sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.