Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 PM
 
746 posts, read 1,243,375 times
Reputation: 859

Advertisements

Why do those who are for it not have to elaborate?

 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I was kind of thinking it is a matter of supply and demand. If there were less illegal immigrants here you would have to hire people at $15/hour at least or nobody would show up and wouldn't you need to make it a law.

There shouldn't be a minimum wage anyway. It really makes no sense when you think about it. If they are worth $15/hr they will get it.

I am also for our elected officials to go on Obama Care for their health plan and they can also use Social Security or a 401K for their retirement since they feel so strongly about it I think it would be good for them as well.

Also, when they leave office they need to hire their own security force to protect them and they should not carry a firearm if that is how they voted.
There is a minimum wage to prevent people from paying people that make minimum wage below that amount. If you are applying for a minimum wage job that the employer set at $2/hr, you aren't going to have much negotiation power.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
 
924 posts, read 667,707 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I was kind of thinking it is a matter of supply and demand. If there were less illegal immigrants here you would have to hire people at $15/hour at least or nobody would show up and wouldn't you need to make it a law.

There shouldn't be a minimum wage anyway. It really makes no sense when you think about it. If they are worth $15/hr they will get it.

I am also for our elected officials to go on Obama Care for their health plan and they can also use Social Security or a 401K for their retirement since they feel so strongly about it I think it would be good for them as well.

Also, when they leave office they need to hire their own security force to protect them and they should not carry a firearm if that is how they voted.
Yeah just like those slaves got paid what they were worth. Or those women, or minors, or non union laborers. Or Chinese railroad workers...

Here's a fun fact: The employer decides what to pay you, he's not obligated to be fair.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM
 
3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why not a billion an hour? Why do you right wingers always resort to this idiotic question. I will ask you why should minimum wage be $100/hr?
You might not like the question because it seems absurd, but that's the point - reductio ad absurdum is a rhetorical technique for a reason. There is a very legitimate question of once we start mandating substantially above-market minimums (like say $15), where do we stop? The $100 - and yes, billion dollar - example also illustrates some of the problems that obviously become crippling at that level (inflation, unemployment, wage compression, etc.) that still exist in lesser form at, for example, the $15 level.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Reputation: 27720
Congress raised the minimum wage in American Samoa in 2007.
And it was set to rise every year until it matched the min wage in the US.

Congress ended up freezing the min wage and delayed any increases because a GAO report said it hurt the economy and increased unemployment.

Starkist layed off 800 workers and another cannery closed.

But that won't happen here in the US..oh no.


Congress OKs American Samoa minimum wage freeze - Yahoo Finance
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Reputation: 15135
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why not a billion an hour? Why do you right wingers always resort to this idiotic question. I will ask you why should minimum wage be $100/hr?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Typical hyperbole from the right's defenseless position.

Reminds me of "how could you let gays get married? What's to stop people from marrying their cat or a toaster?"
Why can't "the left" answer a simple question that's been posed many times before?

If $15 won't break the economy, why not $16?
If $16 won't break the economy, why not $17?
If $17 won't break the economy, why not $18?
etc...

What's the cut-off point? What's the magic number that delineates the line between "slavery" and damage to the economy?

Simple question that you refuse to answer, guys, and it's that refusal to answer that leads us to believe that you have no concept of the implications of what you're promoting.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Reputation: 27720
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So basically you are saying something that was self service from the beginning is now more self service, and there are sometimes more people that want soup and salad than they want a sandwich.
No that's not what I'm saying. That's what you're saying.

All an increased min wage will do is push employers to jump on the technology bandwagon that much sooner.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You might not like the question because it seems absurd, but that's the point - reductio ad absurdum is a rhetorical technique for a reason. There is a very legitimate question of once we start mandating substantially above-market minimums (like say $15), where do we stop? The $100 - and yes, billion dollar - example also illustrates some of the problems that obviously become crippling at that level (inflation, unemployment, wage compression, etc.) that still exist in lesser form at, for example, the $15 level.
Then in that case, the positive outweighs the negative.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
 
924 posts, read 667,707 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congress raised the minimum wage in American Samoa in 2007.
And it was set to rise every year until it matched the min wage in the US.

Congress ended up freezing the min wage and delayed any increases because a GAO report said it hurt the economy and increased unemployment.

Starkist layed off 800 workers and another cannery closed.

But that won't happen here in the US..oh no.


Congress OKs American Samoa minimum wage freeze - Yahoo Finance
Yes, companies will adjust to protect profits. Welcome to the dawn of human commerce.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Reputation: 15135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Why do those who are for it not have to elaborate?
Excellent question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top