Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 84,818,924 times
Reputation: 27720

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Yes, companies will adjust to protect profits. Welcome to the dawn of human commerce.
Just like Obamacare, the libs think companies are just going to roll over and absorb this.

 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,821 posts, read 24,237,221 times
Reputation: 15147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Here's a fun fact: The employer decides what to pay you, he's not obligated to be fair.
Here's a fun fact: You're wrong.

The employer decides what it's worth to have a person performing a set of tasks. If you apply for and accept that position, you're agreeing with the employer that the compensation offered is appropriate for the tasks being performed, therefore, it is fair.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
 
3,622 posts, read 3,909,978 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a minimum wage to prevent people from paying people that make minimum wage below that amount. If you are applying for a minimum wage job that the employer set at $2/hr, you aren't going to have much negotiation power.
But what if people WANT to work for less than minimum?

My first long-term formal-sector job started me at under $15/hour. If I didn't get it I would have had no experience that I could write down on my resume and been absolutely screwed - and anyway, I got a significant raise there down the line after demonstrating value. When you prevent people who want to work from working because they aren't getting paid what you consider enough, you're potentially doing them a tremendous amount of harm -- people are smart enough to judge for themselves whether taking a low-paying job is good or bad for their own interests.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,334,077 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No that's not what I'm saying. That's what you're saying.

All an increased min wage will do is push employers to jump on the technology bandwagon that much sooner.
No, I am pretty sure you said a self service soup and salad bar became more self service, and that people prefer soup and salad over sandwiches. That is a failed attempt to say people will jump on the tech bandwagon sooner.

A long time ago you needed clunky technology to swipe a credit card, today all you need is an ipad and a small swipe piece, therefore making it easier for more businesses to offer that kind of service. Technology is going to keep growing and replacing functions regardless of how much we pay people. And in many cases people love their technology, which is the reason why people love things like smartphones.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM
 
17,418 posts, read 12,053,060 times
Reputation: 16203
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate
So, in liberal dream land, where minimum wage is now $10 an hour, that lunch and babysitter now cost more, because THEY make minimum wage. So you're right back where you started.

Here's a better incentive for all those unemployed that have decided that taking my tax dollars instead of working for a living is a better deal for them - stop all welfare and food stamps if you are able to work. That'll get them off their rears pretty darned quick, I'm thinking. They might need 2 jobs, but that's what most people do to make ends meet.

And no, someone does not have to man cash registers or cut lawns. Self serve registers are everywhere, and I cut my own lawn.

And if you want folks with higher disposable income to stimulate the economy, why don't you let business owners keep more money in THEIR pockets? That would also stimulate the economy.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,334,077 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why can't "the left" answer a simple question that's been posed many times before?

If $15 won't break the economy, why not $16?
If $16 won't break the economy, why not $17?
If $17 won't break the economy, why not $18?
etc...

What's the cut-off point? What's the magic number that delineates the line between "slavery" and damage to the economy?

Simple question that you refuse to answer, guys, and it's that refusal to answer that leads us to believe that you have no concept of the implications of what you're promoting.
The magic number is somewhere between $8-100. And most people think the answer of where it should lie is somewhere between $9-20. Most tend to fall in that amount, not $100/hr.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 35,334,077 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
But what if people WANT to work for less than minimum?

My first long-term formal-sector job started me at under $15/hour. If I didn't get it I would have had no experience that I could write down on my resume and been absolutely screwed - and anyway, I got a significant raise there down the line after demonstrating value. When you prevent people who want to work from working because they aren't getting paid what you consider enough, you're potentially doing them a tremendous amount of harm -- people are smart enough to judge for themselves whether taking a low-paying job is good or bad for their own interests.
Who in their right mind wants to work for less than $7.35/hr?
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,821 posts, read 24,237,221 times
Reputation: 15147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And if you want folks with higher disposable income to stimulate the economy, why don't you let business owners keep more money in THEIR pockets?
Because we're evil, greedy people that are all very wealthy and we want nothing more than to see the people working for us be completely destitute. All business owners have a special receptor in their brain (it's a prerequisite to owning a business) that causes us to derive great pleasure from seeing people suffer.

Duh!
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,821 posts, read 24,237,221 times
Reputation: 15147
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The magic number is somewhere between $8-100. And most people think the answer of where it should lie is somewhere between $9-20. Most tend to fall in that amount, not $100/hr.
So let's raise the minimum wage to $8.01. You wouldn't get a fight, and it's within your magic number range...

BTW, that was a MASSIVE dodge, and everybody knows it. If you want an honest debate, you yourself have to debate honestly. The response you gave above is a complete joke.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
 
26,748 posts, read 15,315,625 times
Reputation: 14873
A lot of Union jobs have base pay contractually tied as a percentage of minimum wage. For example, it is possible that starting pay could be 200% of minimum wage. More than doubling minimum wage is a big deal.

It is obvious that raising minimum wage too high could hurt the economy. Minimum wage of $50 anyone?

However, there wouldn't be anything drastic of a small increase to minimum wage like $9.00 an hour, which would put it in proportion of where it was when Ike raised the minimum wage to $1.00 back in the 1950s. There would be some downside effects, but it may also get more people paying in and taking less from the public coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top