Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Reputation: 15124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
True, but if you phased it in...

Raise the minimum to $8.00 by July 1st, 2014 and then from there up to $9.00 by July 1st, 2015 or something to that effect.
24% is 24%, whether it happens overnight or across 18 months (which is NOT a long time, btw). The result would be roughly the same, in terms of damage. It would just be stretched out longer. That might make it less visible, but that's it. People would still be out of work, and businesses would still be folding.

 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM
 
650 posts, read 513,894 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
For decades people mowed their own lawns or had their children do it, they'd likely go back to that rather than pay twice as much for it and cashiers are being replaced by self scanners all the time. The same thing would happen to every other job that isn't worth $15/hour to the employers. Only government can afford to pay people more than a job is worth.



You don't and never have run a business, have you. If a job doesn't bring in more than it costs to pay the employee it WILL be cut because it's losing the business money. A company can't afford to pay you $15 / hour if it takes you 1 hour to make a $10 widget. They can afford to pay you $7.25/ hour.

If business is so 'lean and mean' with 'no fat to cut' as you say how would you expect the business to survive? They certainly can't afford to pay an employee more than he brings to the company.
I know all about business and an employer will crie the blues no profit to the employee no matter what, even steal from the employee's.

don't even try the no profit line with me, they are a bunch of liers. Nobody has any profit, right. Todays . A/c, owner, treasurer, all they do is sit aound trying to figure out how to make more money, people and energy first on the list. There is no buis ethic left in todays world , give me a break.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Reputation: 760
No matter, I got a good paying job. Not my headache
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 PM
 
17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Reputation: 16152
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The magic number is somewhere between $8-100. And most people think the answer of where it should lie is somewhere between $9-20. Most tend to fall in that amount, not $100/hr.
Voodoo science - the only thing the left has going for it, apparently. Magic number? That's how we're supposed to decide on a minimum wage?
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM
 
69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Cashiers are being replaced by computers and 'apps'....lawn care is done on a flat rate.
And as the hourly wage increases, that flat rate cost would be increased, or even outsourced by automated lawnmowers.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM
 
650 posts, read 513,894 times
Reputation: 53
To all those who do not want to raise the min wage...

why not drop the min wage to 5 dollars an hour? how is the argument to drop to even 3 dollars an hour any different.

okay

the min is 3 dollars an hour and the question is put forward, raise min wage or leave it be, how is the position to leave wage as it is, any different to leave a 3 dollar an hour min in tact ?

you all would vote to leave 3 dollar an hour as it is, with the exact same argument, correct ?

because from where im sitting your arguments are good to go for 3 dollars an hour. So yu'all favor lowering the min to three dollars an hour.

see where following the phony fox news and their rudeness about hard working lower paid people gets you ? a contribution representing no morals.

Last edited by alexcanter; 02-17-2014 at 03:25 PM..
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM
 
69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
To all those who do not want to raise the min wage...

why not drop the min wage ? what is the argument and then how does it make sense relative to whatever arguement to refuse raising the min ?
It not only should be dropped, but it should be abolished.

To subject a minimum wage to someone in NYC, thats the same as someone from say Idaho, is one of the dumbest things in the world.

The only reason to raise the minimum wage is so the federal government can increase their tax revenues at a higher value thus making the debt more manageable..

But that doesnt help the citizens who have to deal with higher costs as a result.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:24 PM
 
14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Reputation: 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate
You are setting an arbitrary wage, based on ignorance. You know nothing about the tasks, or skills concerning the job. Leave it up to the employer and the employee to decide, it not your concern.
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:25 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Reputation: 10844
Take a look at the following graph:




I am curious how anyone in the "raise minimum wage" camp plans to deal with the resulting unemployment. Will the laws of economics be miraculously suspended? Will something else happen to make sure that there is no increase in unemployment? Or are you OK with the increase in unemployment?
 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM
 
14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Reputation: 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It not only should be dropped, but it should be abolished.

To subject a minimum wage to someone in NYC, thats the same as someone from say Idaho, is one of the dumbest things in the world.

The only reason to raise the minimum wage is so the federal government can increase their tax revenues at a higher value thus making the debt more manageable..

But that doesnt help the citizens who have to deal with higher costs as a result.
If I want to hire a 16 year old kid this summer, to hand out fliers for a sale I'm having, and pay him $4 an hour, it's not the same level of skills and labor as a supply clerk, or an apprenticed mechanic with a $11 to $14 per hour wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top