Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Would you be satisfied with a $1.00/hr raise every ten years? Because that's about how the minimum wage shakes out from when I started working ($1.65/hr) to what is is now ($7.25/hr). That's a difference of $5.60/hr OVER THE LAST 50 YEARS! Little more than $1.00/hr per DECADE.
I think that the minimum wage should be abolished. Low wage jobs are the easiest way for an uneducated person to get their foot in the door, despite your anecdotal evidence, minimum wage gets rid of low wage jobs.

The government should have NO say in what two people voluntarily agree upon as a wage, if you don't like the wage, don't enter into an employment agreement with that person. In the land of the free, individuals should not need the government to play mommy and daddy for them, they should be able to trade their labor for whatever wage they agree to.

Nobody forces people to work a low wage job, people do it because it is BETTER than what they were doing previously, and it gives them the experience to demand a higher wage.

Quote:
Do you think the minimum wage has kept up with the increases in food, utilities, rent, etc., for the past 50 years?
Again, I do not think it should exist. If you are worried about food and energy price increases, you should be more worried about fractional reserve banking and the devaluation of the dollar.

Not to mention, that when you raise labor cost, you raise the cost of goods and services... this is 5th grade stuff.

Quote:
Explain to me how 'my logic, if followed correctly' would raise minimum wage to $100/hr?
That is just unthinking hyperbole on your part.
That is not what I said. That is just unreading hyperbole on your part.

Quote:
Minimum wage jobs are not just for teenagers and retired people. It USED to be that way, but times and circumstances have changed. It is NOT that way any more, and hasn't been for decades. Time for some people to acknowledge that times have changed; we are not, as an economy, what we were 50 or 60 years ago.
Duh, they were never just for teenagers and retired people. In fact, they are for low-skilled or low-value workers, it is asinine to say that EVERYONE deserves a wage large enough to support a household, when most people do not need to support a household.

You can play with the rainbow-y emotional argument, but it will do nothing to change the laws of supply and demand, which do apply to labor.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I think that the minimum wage should be abolished. Low wage jobs are the easiest way for an uneducated person to get their foot in the door, despite your anecdotal evidence, minimum wage gets rid of low wage jobs.

Then why are you posting in this thread?

The government should have NO say in what two people voluntarily agree upon as a wage, if you don't like the wage, don't enter into an employment agreement with that person. In the land of the free, individuals should not need the government to play mommy and daddy for them, they should be able to trade their labor for whatever wage they agree to.

You like people to be on welfare?

Nobody forces people to work a low wage job, people do it because it is BETTER than what they were doing previously, and it gives them the experience to demand a higher wage.

What were they doing previously that a minimum wage job would be better? Waiters/Waitresses (they don't make min)?

Again, I do not think it should exist. If you are worried about food and energy price increases, you should be more worried about fractional reserve banking and the devaluation of the dollar.

I'm not worried. You are skirting the issue.

Not to mention, that when you raise labor cost, you raise the cost of goods and services... this is 5th grade stuff.

But wages have pretty much kept up with the rising costs of good and services, except for the minimum wage. Besides, more people earning more money means more money going to businesses.

That is not what I said. That is just unreading hyperbole on your part.

This is what you wrote:
If your logic followed correctly, lets raise the minimum wage to $100/hr, cause hell, why not.. there are no drawbacks right?
Is there some other way of interpreting your above statement?

Duh, they were never just for teenagers and retired people. In fact, they are for low-skilled or low-value workers, it is asinine to say that EVERYONE deserves a wage large enough to support a household, when most people do not need to support a household.

Most people don't need to support a household? Do you have any proof of that?

You can play with the rainbow-y emotional argument, but it will do nothing to change the laws of supply and demand, which do apply to labor.

My argument is NOT emotional. It is based on facts and figures.
Why are you debating about something you don't believe in?
There's a word for that....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate
You would effectively kill most retail chains in strip malls as most could not afford the ten dollar burger.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate
Why not a 100 dollars an hour I voted no in the poll, but by your thoughts why not a 100 an hour

Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Why are you debating about something you don't believe in?
There's a word for that....
Ugh, I was hoping for civil discourse, but if you want to act nasty, that is your prerogative.

I think that minimum wage is a bad thing, so I don't get to have an opinion on expanding the program? What the hell world do you live in? READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD.

You know, there is a word for arguing a subject that you obviously know nothing about too....

Quote:
Then why are you posting in this thread?
Because, this thread is not titled "How much should minimum wage be?" It is titled "Raising the minimum wage to $15 / hr would create jobs and revive the economy."

I came in here to teach people economics, since people like you have never studied it, but have all the opinions in the world on it.

Quote:
You like people to be on welfare?
Nope, but thanks for trying to paint me in that light when I have said nothing to suggest that. I think welfare should be abolished. It is immoral to steal the capital that one earns with their own labor and give it to another person, no matter how good you say your reason is... it is theft.

Quote:
What were they doing previously that a minimum wage job would be better? Waiters/Waitresses (they don't make min)?
First, I am talking about low wages, not minimum wage. Regardless, to answer your question, probably not working.

Quote:
I'm not worried. You are skirting the issue.
Pfft. Whatever. You are the guy replying to my information and argument dense post with silly little one-liners.... and further proving that you don't even know what the issue is.

Quote:
But wages have pretty much kept up with the rising costs of good and services, except for the minimum wage. Besides, more people earning more money means more money going to businesses.
Yeah, wages for SKILLED labor have kept up, because it is valued. Your precious minimum wage prevents people from working a low wage job to become a skilled worker... your precious system traps them at minimum wage.. and that is if the job is even available after the minimum wage increase.

Even if your fairy-tale played out, everyone's' expenses would increase and their wages would too, which is a net of zero effect. But that is ignoring the jobs you want to destroy. (And you think I want people on welfare.)

Quote:
This is what you wrote:
If your logic followed correctly, lets raise the minimum wage to $100/hr, cause hell, why not.. there are no drawbacks right?
Is there some other way of interpreting your above statement?
Oh. My. Dog.

Not only do you need to read an economics book badly, apparently English as well.

What I said: "If your logic followed correctly, lets raise the minimum wage to $100/hr, cause hell, why not.. there are no drawbacks right?"

What you said I said: "'my logic, if followed correctly' would raise minimum wage to $100/hr?"

Notice that I NEVER said it would raise it to $100/hr, you made that up... what I said was; why not raise it to $100/hr if everything you are saying is true, there would be no negatives to doing so.

You fail reading class.

Quote:
Most people don't need to support a household? Do you have any proof of that?
Learn some logic. Unless a majority of people in this country who are above 16 have a house and a family to provide for, they don't need to support a household. They may want the wages that would support a household so they can have nice things, but they don't have a household to support.

Quote:
My argument is NOT emotional. It is based on facts and figures.
Uh, no. It is not. You are falling into the most obvious economic fallacies that even second year majors are aware of... you have not studied the subject, it is very evident to someone who has.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Minimum wage jobs are not just for teenagers and retired people. It USED to be that way, but times and circumstances have changed.
Oh?

Quote:
Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over.
You were saying?

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Less people working and more automation.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM

111 posts, read 157,401 times
Dont raising the minimum wage make everything cost more? Not saying Im against anything just asking a question. It seems to me the more folks is paid the more we end up paying for what we needing.If thats the case then how does raising the minimum wage do anybody any good? Id like to know if thats not the way it is.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ugh, I was hoping for civil discourse, but if you want to act nasty, that is your prerogative.
I think that minimum wage is a bad thing, so I don't get to have an opinion on expanding the program? What the hell world do you live in? READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD.
You know, there is a word for arguing a subject that you obviously know nothing about too....
Because, this thread is not titled "How much should minimum wage be?" It is titled "Raising the minimum wage to $15 / hr would create jobs and revive the economy."
I came in here to teach people economics, since people like you have never studied it, but have all the opinions in the world on it.
Nope, but thanks for trying to paint me in that light when I have said nothing to suggest that. I think welfare should be abolished. It is immoral to steal the capital that one earns with their own labor and give it to another person, no matter how good you say your reason is... it is theft.
First, I am talking about low wages, not minimum wage. Regardless, to answer your question, probably not working.
Pfft. Whatever. You are the guy replying to my information and argument dense post with silly little one-liners.... and further proving that you don't even know what the issue is.
Yeah, wages for SKILLED labor have kept up, because it is valued. Your precious minimum wage prevents people from working a low wage job to become a skilled worker... your precious system traps them at minimum wage.. and that is if the job is even available after the minimum wage increase.
Even if your fairy-tale played out, everyone's' expenses would increase and their wages would too, which is a net of zero effect. But that is ignoring the jobs you want to destroy. (And you think I want people on welfare.)
Oh. My. Dog.
Not only do you need to read an economics book badly, apparently English as well.
What I said: "If your logic followed correctly, lets raise the minimum wage to $100/hr, cause hell, why not.. there are no drawbacks right?"
What you said I said: "'my logic, if followed correctly' would raise minimum wage to $100/hr?"
Notice that I NEVER said it would raise it to $100/hr, you made that up... what I said was; why not raise it to $100/hr if everything you are saying is true, there would be no negatives to doing so.
You fail reading class.
Learn some logic. Unless a majority of people in this country who are above 16 have a house and a family to provide for, they don't need to support a household. They may want the wages that would support a household so they can have nice things, but they don't have a household to support.
Uh, no. It is not. You are falling into the most obvious economic fallacies that even second year majors are aware of... you have not studied the subject, it is very evident to someone who has.
You are awfully good at insulting people (hope you're PROUD!), but you still haven't addressed the fact that in fifty years the minimum wage has risen on average approximately one dollar/hr per decade. That's ten cents per hour, per year.

You just fall back on stating that you don't believe there should be a minimum wage, so I ask you again, why are you posting here? The title of the thread clearly mentions raising the minimum wage. If you don't believe there should be a minimum wage, why are you posting here? Start a thread about abolishing the minimum wage.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
BONKERS

A few centuries back, the ability of a human to support himself and a few others with his labor was the pinnacle of prosperity. Ideally, the more people one’s labor could support, the more prosperous one was.

This is common sense.

As the industrial age progressed, and men could use tools and machinery to amplify labor, a human could support far more people than just himself and his immediate family. By harnessing old sunshine locked up in fossil fuels, humanity had the means to greatly surpass the limitations of animal and human labor.

This, too, is common sense.

So with the ever increasing population, providing ever more workers, whose labor can be multiplied and amplified to achieve prodigious production, why aren't we all prosperous?

I do not mean “rich” nor “wealthy.” I mean prosperous in the sense that prosperity is based on the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services. And that doing more with less so more can enjoy should maximize happiness.

There is so much unmet need, so many unemployed or underemployed, and so many closed factories that it should scream “madness” into our consciousness.
One way to see the problem is to ask ...
● Why can’t people in need acquire necessities?
● Why can’t unemployed people find work?
● Why can’t closed factories and lost industries re-open?
Answer: No one has the money to do those things.
Why would lack of money prevent people from working, trading and enjoying their production?
And who controls the creation and volume of money in circulation?
When you figure out the answer to the last two questions, you may find yourself “bonked.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies