Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Sure, let them starve or become homeless.
YOU provide a home for them. You got a basement?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM

804 posts, read 618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well you hit the nail on the head here...........but with our government today they don't care about really helping folks............they only care about making it SEEM they are helping folks. It's all a joke........hell the ones hardest hit will be high school kids just looking to make a buck to pay for gas or a date or what have you and old folks who are still having to work to suplement their retirement if they have any. They will all be fired or not hired to begin with because a small business just can't afford it.

What do you mean the business can't afford it? Employees are not a jewelry, they're not optional. If you want to stay in business you need employees period.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM

I have enough money but there are others who don't even though they deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey Risotto, are you working at minimum wage or near minimum wage?

If so, maybe you could use a "pretty simplistic approach" as a framework to make more money, i.e., increase the demand for your labor. Go ahead, put some energy into being more valuable to the rest of society. Use the time you spend posting on internet forums to improve yourself, instead. Many of the qualities and attributes that employers value are literally free.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
YOU provide a home for them. You got a basement?
I got a basement but it's not big enough for all the homeless people who became homeless when they lost their jobs due to happy "globalist" policies of our governments.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
What do you mean the business can't afford it? Employees are not a jewelry, they're not optional. If you want to stay in business you need employees period.
You answered your own question. You double folks salaries you have to raise prices the same to make up for it and folks won't come anymore to your business so guess what.........you have NO more employees. You think it's all great though.............all will be fixed........the great O will save us all.........just unreal. It's all a campaign gimmick for the midterms........you just can't see it. You do realize a small restaurant or what have you has to pay bills too right or will the government start doing that for them to make up the difference? Or do you even care?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Staying in business IS optional.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Who said I would increase the cost of living? People making the minimum wage cut their own grass, if the have it.
What does "cutting the grass" have to do with the cost of living?

The cost of living is: price of housing, energy, food, clothing, transportation, etc.

Paying someone to mow your lawn is what people with extra money do. It's a luxury, not a "cost of living". For me, it's the kid across the street who charges the same as two lunches at work. So, I skip buying lunch a lot, because I don't have any extra money.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
You answered your own question. You double folks salaries you have to raise prices the same to make up for it and folks won't come anymore to your business so guess ?
Why folks would stop coming? How would cost a burger in McD if wages went up to $15? A dollar more? Would that stop anybody from coming? Lol

Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What does "cutting the grass" have to do with the cost of living?

The cost of living is: price of housing, energy, food, clothing, transportation, etc.
And how the businesses producing goods such as housing, energy, food, clothing or transportation would have to raise their price to account for a minimum wage increase? How much more would a Chinese made TV cost?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Who said I would increase the cost of living? People making the minimum wage cut their own grass, if the have it.
Raising wages increases the cost of the products and services, which increases the cost of living.

Where do you think the money is coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies