Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would raising the minimum wage to $15/hr create jobs and revive the economy?
YES. I am all for it seeing how it would benefit everybody 24 20.69%
NO. I am against it because (please elaborate) 83 71.55%
I don't know / don't care 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 AM

804 posts, read 620,214 times

Advertisements

Federal minimum wage pegged at embarrassing $7.25 / hr actually prohibits people from finding gainful employment. How? First of all for many unemployed the prospect of making a minimum wage doesn't offset the cost of commute, lunches and hiring a baby sitter. It's simply does t make any sense to engage in any economic activity if the net gain is marginal. It's makes more sense economically to collect welfare and food stamps than to work for a minimum wage.
Now raising the minimum wage gives additional incentive to all those unemployed and makes it economically sound to hire a babysitter and go to work. Raising the minimum wage also removes many people from good stamp and other social services programs as they would no longer qualify.
Some critics say that raising the minimum wage would eliminate jobs but in the same time somebody HAS to do those simple, often manual jobs that earn the minimum wage. Somebody has to man cash registers and cut lawns no matter how high the minimum wage would go. People making more money would have higher disposable incomes effectively stimulating the economy through spending, thus creating more jobs.
What do you think? Please elaborate

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,160,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
What do you think?
I think you need another bowl of Wheaties, or a new "thinking cap."

Quote:
Please elaborate
More than doubling the cost of labor (often the largest expense for a business) will not "create jobs." Not in this reality or any alternate reality you may find yourself in.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,801,859 times
Raising the minumum wage to $15/hr, would simply eliminate all the jobs that bring less than that into the company as revenue.

GREAT plan.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Raising the minumum wage to $15/hr, would simply eliminate all the jobs that bring less than that into the company as revenue.

GREAT plan.
Eliminate jobs? There would be no cashiers and lawns wouldn't be cut? Me thinks somebody would have to do these jobs no matter if for $5 / hr or $50 / hr. ?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
They told us Obamacare would revive the economy and create millions of jobs.
Don't you believe your President ?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They told us Obamacare would revive the economy and create millions of jobs.
Don't you believe your President ?
As much as I believe any politician but what does it have to do with the topic?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,800,001 times
Why not $20 per hour?

Why not $30 per hour?

Let's grow the middle class. End poverty. Spread it around.

Hey, why not $50 per hour, everybody needs a six figure income, right?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Why not $20 per hour?

Why not $30 per hour?

Let's grow the middle class. End poverty. Spread it around.

Hey, why not $50 per hour, everybody needs a six figure income, right?

Just answer the question...

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,351,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I think you need another bowl of Wheaties, or a new "thinking cap."

More than doubling the cost of labor (often the largest expense for a business) will not "create jobs." Not in this reality or any alternate reality you may find yourself in.
The OP is living in some kind of dream world, and isn't dealing with real data. All available evidence shows that raising the minimum wage causes job loss. There is no possible way that raising labor costs can create jobs.

This is the most illogical thinking by the OP. Probably came from Nancy Peolosi. It sounds like her kind of logic.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
Have you been to a Home Depot lately? A CVS? Maybe any big supermarket. Notice they have moved to automated checkouts. The have on cashier supervising 4-6 checkout stands. The customers largely check themselves out. And as far as mowing lawns, what percentage of landscapers AREN'T employing illegal aliens, who will work for cash at any rate they can get (above or below the minimum wage.)

And how many jobs couldn't be automated out if existance, if the cost of labor gets pushed up? I did a thumbnail calculation of what it would cost a normal chain fast food restaurant, if they had to pay $15/hour (and I did it assuming they had to pay $9 now, not minimum.) IIRC it came to something like $450,000/year. You don't think that wouldn't push the industry to automate to the highest degree possible, and even push out what is possible. I don't see why most chains couldn't reduce headcount by three quarters if they had to.

So you would create demand at the higher end of employment (ie, engineers to design the automation), but eliminate hordes of the entry level/unskilled jobs. Is that what you really want to do?

Quote:
Eliminate jobs? There would be no cashiers and lawns wouldn't be cut? Somebody has to do it no matter if for $5 / hr or $50 / hr. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies