Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I never said it was true or not, just that I don't believe it...
what the heezy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At least we can all rest easily knowing it was all the banks fault, not the government at all and surely not the people trying to cash in on the exploding real estate market with speculation and then walked away when they got caught upside down.
Or the lady that kept refinancing her house but when the market went south and she couldn't refi anymore and buried in credit card and other debt walked away as well.

Fraud and greed all over the place....not just some bankers.

Wierd how foreclosures were massive in some parts of the country and not nearly so much in others. I guess the bankers were only greedy in certain parts of the country? lol.
Why can't everyone be at fault?

The problem is the homeowners were the only ones who were punished for their mistakes.

everyone else was bailed out or untouchable...

Most people with half a clue would put more anger on those who rigged the game but most people are holding onto a sliver of hope that they too could be part of the 1%.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You had better not go see The Wolf of Wall Street.
It will give you the vapours and they'll have to carry you out on a stretcher.

Great movie, by the way. True story. It makes comedy skits and men in drag look tame.
I. Loved. That. Movie.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So?
You have something against comedy and men in drag?
I remember the stories of how Enron held Bankrupting California parties. People were saying "this is all hogwash and hearsay" ... until it was proven the denials were hogwash.

Would you cheerlead for a group of evil men, willing to bankrupt the world to enrich themselves, just because they were in drag?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I never said it was true or not, just that I don't believe it...and it reads too much like fiction I have seen before to pass my smell test. I have seen other claims about people crashing these parties, including on C-D, and most often there is nothing besides the poster liking the story that proves the story.
It's true and a carry over from prep school days for the chosen few.

The topic is receiving more than its fair share of attention because it's included in a new book, "Young Money". The author went under cover expecting to find cocaine, strippers and crazy parties, and instead found people working 20 hour days, cranking out Excel Spreadsheets.

Young Money: The unglamorous rungs of Wall Street - MarketWatch

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
At least we can all rest easily knowing it was all the banks fault, not the government at all and surely not the people trying to cash in on the exploding real estate market with speculation and then walked away when they got caught upside down.
Or the lady that kept refinancing her house but when the market went south and she couldn't refi anymore and buried in credit card and other debt walked away as well.

Wierd how foreclosures were massive in some parts of the country and not nearly so much in others. I guess the bankers were only greedy in certain parts of the country? lol.
Connect the dots...

Economy crashes...

1 in 3 Foreclosures Have Bank Errors to Blame | AOL Real Estate

Close to 1.2 million borrowers, or about 30 percent of the more than 3.9 million households whose properties were foreclosed on by 11 leading financial institutions in 2009 and 2010, had to battle potentially wrongful efforts to seize their homes despite not having defaulted on their loans, being protected under a host of federal laws, or having been in good standing under bank-approved plans to either restructure their mortgages or temporarily delay required payments.

Former Bank of America workers allege it lied to home owners - Chicago Tribune

Six former Bank of America Corp. employees have alleged that the bank deliberately denied eligible home owners loan modifications and lied to them about the status of their mortgage payments and documents.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/...ge-settlement/

The housing finance agency said the underwriting of the mortgage loans did not meet the standards detailed to Fannie and Freddie. The lawsuit involved mortgage-backed securities issued from Sept. 12, 2005, to Sept. 27, 2007.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:

It's the entire culture and not unique to the U.S.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I'm sure weltschmerz will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intent of the earlier post was to lampoon libertarian attitudes toward capitalism, free enterprise, "job creation," "punishing success," etc.

If The Market (hallowed be Its name) can do no wrong, as the free-market fundamentalists would have us believe, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with the shenanigans depicted in the article. Rich people -- having earned every single penny they have through the sweat of their brows -- are entitled to act however they want.
Quote:
Rich people -- having earned every single penny they have through the sweat of
their brows
Only these people did not earn it by the "sweat of their brows". These people only provide and move money around of those who did earn all of their pennies through the sweat of their brows. and many of those who do earn by the sweat of their brows earn alot less then the clowns depicted in this article.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's the entire culture and not unique to the U.S.
Americans take it to a higher level. Materialism and vanity seem to resonate alot more with Americans then other cultures.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Wow- you certainly know how to debate an issue.

This is not capitalism by the way. This is fraud and corruption.
The only fraud on that night was committed by the guy who pretended he was invited. Crashing parties is not legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies