Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times

Advertisements

Connecticut assistant coach Ernest T. Jones resigned late Monday after weeks of controversy regarding statements he made in a January newspaper interview.
Jones joined the UConn staff as running backs coach under new head coach Bob Diaco in January following three seasons at Notre Dame. In an interview with the Hartford Courant soon after he was hired, Jones said "we're going to make sure [players] understand that Jesus Christ should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Should he have to resign after making this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Connecticut assistant coach Ernest T. Jones resigned late Monday after weeks of controversy regarding statements he made in a January newspaper interview.
Jones joined the UConn staff as running backs coach under new head coach Bob Diaco in January following three seasons at Notre Dame. In an interview with the Hartford Courant soon after he was hired, Jones said "we're going to make sure [players] understand that Jesus Christ should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important."

Yes, he put way too much burden on Jesus.

It was God who told him to resign.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
We used to say a team prayer before every game that nobody on EITHER side gets hurt and we play as hard as we can. Thankfully I asked my son who will be a senior next year and he said they still do the same. Yes it is a dreaded public high school.....There is nothing wrong with it at all I don't care what liberals say anymore............I've had it with their idiocy.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school.

No, he should not have resigned. More intolerance from the rabidly liberal fake Christians of New England strikes again.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post

Kind of a stupid thing for a coach to say. I guess the players had to pretend to be down with Jesus, to stay out of the dog house.

I got a feeling there's more to the story, but yeah, dumb coach.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school.

No, he should not have resigned. More intolerance from the rabidly liberal fake Christians of New England strikes again.
Well liberals think Notre Dame is evil...........that is where this guy got off on the wrong note. I'd let him coach my kid any day of the week. Just pure crazy stuff going on in now day's age. Who is this nutjob president whining about him? Just teach the kids and let him coach em. I mean that is how it used to be. I guess nowdays you either follow the "new liberal rules" or just get tossed. Just unreal.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Kind of a stupid thing for a coach to say. I guess the players had to pretend to be down with Jesus, to stay out of the dog house.

I got a feeling there's more to the story, but yeah, dumb coach.
Oh BS. You ever play ball? It appears not. Problem is now EVERYBODY has to bow down to liberal madness. Big problem............will destroy the nation...........well hell it already is.....most aren't paying attention though.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
UConn is free to who they hire or fire, stupid or not stupid is irrelevant...

Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh BS. You ever play ball? It appears not. Problem is now EVERYBODY has to bow down to liberal madness. Big problem............will destroy the nation...........well hell it already is.....most aren't paying attention though.
It was very ignorant of the coach, it's not like the idea of a non christians is a new thing. This stuff makes people uncomfortable if they have to fake it, smile and pretend to agree when they don't. There is no reason for it anymore.

I guess he resigned because some people didn't respect him. It's hard to bounce back from some things, like it or not. Employers may have to discuss this with employees/potential employees since people aren't capable of monitoring themselves.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Why would Jesus be in the huddle anyways? Aren't there starving children somewhere that could use his help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies