Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,245,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
WHOA, you're mixing my words with the person I was addressing. She claimed that 45% of births are paid for by Medicaid, and I called that a racist position. How about pointing the finger at the right person.
I must be slow, but how do you arrive at racist through a birth vs Medicare statistic?

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...r-by-medicaid/

http://health.newamerica.net/blogpos...medicaid-54510
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,076,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course there has been a shift in the last 40 years.. over the last 40 years we've legislated more and given companies a reason to offshore..

Why would it shock you that they did the very thing government encouraged them to do, and then as a solution, increase the incentive for businesses to do the very same thing you're whining about?
I believe it is more than "legislated!" The Union demands for constant increase in wages and benefits are far more responsible for driving companies offshore, although legislated crap certainly impacted same.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I found this interesting and confirmed what I had always thought. Taxes typically paid by the wealthy, and corporations have gone down, but income taxes as a % have increased. This means the burden has shifted to the middleclass which is now dwindling. We will either have to cut spending (I'm still pissed the GOP caved in on the sequester), or the wealthy will have to pay more. The poor minimum wage workers are already a burden on the government, so it can't come from there.

With this in mind, is it wise to continue deficit spending as we have in recent times? Clearly the answer is no. Therefore, it is now a matter of which part of Americans this burden shifts to next.
Just remember that any and all taxes imposed on business, including all Corporations, will be passed on down the line on the price of the product or service they provide. Business does NOT pay taxes...the end consumer pays all the taxes of all business up the line to the top of those involved in created, shipping, stocking, selling, etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I believe it is more than "legislated!" The Union demands for constant increase in wages and benefits are far more responsible for driving companies offshore, although legislated crap certainly impacted same.
This is a myth, because they're outsourcing non union jobs just as fast. How can an American worker compete with workers in foreign countries at a fraction of the pay. They also have few governmental requirements. I suppose we could deregulate all laws, and live in shantys like in the 3rd world?

The Reason for Outsourcing: Was it due to get away from Unions? | clothingmadeinusablog

Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Just out of curiosity how exactly do you think we should address poverty? How would you re-establish the family concept you mention? I mean its all great to SAY these things, but the devil is in the details. I could create a solution that you would probably despise.
To start with, any welfare should be local...not Federal! The closer to local (means the area in which those in poverty live) the better it can be handled because it can be easily seen who the cheaters are, who are too lazy to work and who is really in need. The American people are very charitable and will take care of those who really need help. Very often lessons in morality and self responsibility go along with welfare when handled correctly.

Last edited by lorrysda; 02-20-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Just remember that any and all taxes imposed on business, including all Corporations, will be passed on down the line on the price of the product or service they provide. Business does NOT pay taxes...the end consumer pays all the taxes of all business up the line to the top of those involved in created, shipping, stocking, selling, etc.
Nope, because Mitt said the 47% don't pay taxes, and you're claiming they do. Who's right you, or Mitt?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
To start with, any welfare should be local...not Federal! The closer to local (means the area in which those in poverty live) the better it can be handled because it can be easily seen who the cheaters are, who are too lazy to work and who is really in need. The American people are very charitable and will take care of those who really need help. Very often lessons in morality and self responsibility goes along with welfare when handled correctly.
States have large amounts of latitude in how they implement TANF programs.States have large amounts of latitude in how they implement TANF programs.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,384,724 times
Quote:
I found this interesting and confirmed what I had always thought. Taxes typically paid by the wealthy, and corporations have gone down, but income taxes as a % have increased. This means the burden has shifted to the middleclass which is now dwindling. We will either have to cut spending (I'm still pissed the GOP caved in on the sequester), or the wealthy will have to pay more. The poor minimum wage workers are already a burden on the government, so it can't come from there.

With this in mind, is it wise to continue deficit spending as we have in recent times? Clearly the answer is no. Therefore, it is now a matter of which part of Americans this burden shifts to next.
The top 40% of income earners in America pay 106.2% of individual income taxes.

You might ask how that happens. The bottom 40% pay a -9.1% rate and the middle quintile pays 2.9%.

When you look at all federal taxes the top 40% pays 86.4%.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...geTaxRates.pdf

So don't let some bleeding heart tell you the rich don't pay their fair share. They pay their share and almost the bottom 40 percent's share of individual income taxes. They pay all but 13.6% of all federal taxes.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
This is a myth, because they're outsourcing non union jobs just as fast. How can an American worker compete with workers in foreign countries at a fraction of the pay. They also have few governmental requirements. I suppose we could deregulate all laws, and live in shantys like in the 3rd world?

The Reason for Outsourcing: Was it due to get away from Unions? | clothingmadeinusablog

Your dreaming...the unions have caused great disaster to this country's economy. It is the cost of union wages and benefits that have caused prices of American made goods to sky rocket. Get rid of unions and prices go down until they are competitive. Cut the crap on your last sentence. $10.00 bought a week of groceries back in the '50's. It now takes $150.00 to buy the same groceries. Thank you, unions plus government regulations on transportation and more, but unions are very much to blame.

Remember, it is the unionization of government workers that is now bankrupting states. Unions bankrupted the auto industry.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Nope, because Mitt said the 47% don't pay taxes, and you're claiming they do. Who's right you, or Mitt?
Both...Mitt referred to those paying direct "income" tax out of their pay checks/earnings and I refer to those income taxes paid by business which are added to the price of the service or product for which the end consumer pays. Understand the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies