Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
The only thing one can blame is technological progress. First came the wheel, then animal husbandry, followed by steam and fuel engines, and now robotics and computers. Throughout history, man has strived to offload his labor. There are far more tasks that can be automated than not.

Some of the biggest job creators will be in the drone, robotics, and cyber security industries. It's another case of one high paying highly skilled job replacing several unskilled jobs. If people can't adapt they will perish. We are going broke trying to prop up the people who can't, or never intend to, adapt and learn.

We'll always have construction trades, engineering, arts, fabrication, and domestic/hospitality jobs. Some skills will never be replaced, but our industrial age... over, gone, done - slowly being replaced by the age of technology (which began after WWII) which is still in its infancy.
About 150 years ago, 80% of the working population was employed in agriculture.
Around 1900 about 40% of the population worked agriculture. I think that number is around 10% today and includes foreign migrant workers.

The low/no skilled were able to transition from agriculture to the industrial age.

The transition to technology is different because it requires skills.

The U.S., like most places, has been largely comprised of people with low/no skills. There's a reason why retail and food services have been the largest employment sectors since the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course there has been a shift in the last 40 years.. over the last 40 years we've legislated more and given companies a reason to offshore..

Why would it shock you that they did the very thing government encouraged them to do, and then as a solution, increase the incentive for businesses to do the very same thing you're whining about?
The discussion was about globalization and your claim that there has always been imports and exports? In the last 40 years we've seen a dramatic increase in both which prior to 1960 was very limited. Advances in communications, computers, shipping, and imbalances in regional wages have all brought us to a much more global economy. Prior to 1960 we didn't have foreign cars (yes, I know there were a few), foreign made TV's, radio's shoes, shoes, building materials, and on and on. In 1940 we were an economy within ourselves, and not dependent on others, which cannot be said today. What would happen if we passed a law that all shoes had to be made in the 48 states? We would have holes in our shoes by the time we could mobilize to provide shoes for the nation.

The point is that globalization is real, and bringing America into it has created a great loss of jobs because of it. I'm sure most people would rather have a job than a hand out.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
A good reason to rethink our abortion laws.
About 45% of births are now paid for by Medicaid, meaning people are having children they cannot financially deliver or sustain without substantial state/federal government subsidies. Is this trend sustainable over the long haul?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
About 45% of births are now paid for by Medicaid, meaning people are having children they cannot financially deliver or sustain without substantial state/federal government subsidies. Is this trend sustainable over the long haul?
Can you link your source? My goodness, if this is true we're in trouble.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
I was going to guess Lincoln.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Effective tax rates mattered then as they do now.

I have read that the effective tax rate on high income earners in the 50's was 50-60%. Today, the effective tax rate for high income earners is around 30%.
Warren Buffets salary at BRK is $100K a year..

Do you think he became a billionaire because of income?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The discussion was about globalization and your claim that there has always been imports and exports? In the last 40 years we've seen a dramatic increase in both which prior to 1960 was very limited. Advances in communications, computers, shipping, and imbalances in regional wages have all brought us to a much more global economy. Prior to 1960 we didn't have foreign cars (yes, I know there were a few), foreign made TV's, radio's shoes, shoes, building materials, and on and on. In 1940 we were an economy within ourselves, and not dependent on others, which cannot be said today. What would happen if we passed a law that all shoes had to be made in the 48 states? We would have holes in our shoes by the time we could mobilize to provide shoes for the nation.

The point is that globalization is real, and bringing America into it has created a great loss of jobs because of it. I'm sure most people would rather have a job than a hand out.
Globalization is coming about because we keep increasing the incentive to offshore jobs but still need the results, i.e. products).. and then we act all surprised that its cheaper to ship something across the world to sell it here, than it is to make it here..

I'd re-examine why thats true

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I was going to guess Lincoln.

No sir, please see here:

History of the United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Globalization is coming about because we keep increasing the incentive to offshore jobs and increase the results.. nd then act all surprised that its cheaper to ship something across the world to sell it here, than it is to make it here..

I'd re-examine why thats true
How do we create this incentive to outsource? How can we change this and bring these jobs back without protectionism that would be counterproductive?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
How do we create this incentive to outsource? How can we change this and bring these jobs back without protectionism that would be counterproductive?
You increase the incentive to outsource by making it no longer efficient to produce here. You want to change it, stop hating against businesses that produce here..

I'll never understand why americans believe those who give them jobs and the means to generate income and create wealth for employees, are the bad guys to left wing kooks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies