Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,653,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Im sorry, but i doubt an individual who is medicaid eligible is going to afford a health plan, prior or after the ACA. The people who could have had medicaid were probably too poor for individual coverage before, so those who have medicaid lost nothing and only gained. And more people would have had coverage if all states had medicaid expansion.
There were millions of people who had low cost health care insurance thru their employer, and were happy with it. Then the ACA made their low cost plan illegal, and many of them could not afford the increased costs for the ACA plan, and are now on Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,801,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats a completely different group of individuals. The discussion is about those who WERE NOT on medicaid..
You are changing the subject. YOU were claiming some went on Medicaid after insurance cancellations. The logical question then is if they had to go on Medicaid could they have afforded private health insurance premiums in the first place.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,711,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And doctors and hospitals can't survive on Medicare payments.
Really, thats news to me. I am in Tucson right now and in this town all the hospitals look like one big government check from Medicare. If your under 65 and you walk into one of the hospitals or clinics you will be the youngest person in the building. I have never heard anything about hospitals having trouble with Medicare.. I would bet Dick Cheneys heart transplant was paid by Medicare.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,961,336 times
Quote:
Im sorry, but i doubt an individual who is medicaid eligible is going to afford a health plan, prior or after the ACA. The people who could have had medicaid were probably too poor for individual coverage before, so those who have medicaid lost nothing and only gained. And more people would have had coverage if all states had medicaid expansion.
So the millions who had insurance prior to ACA but dont now, never existed because they were too poor to afford coverage?
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see health coverage as welfare, I see it as a right. Every other country had found a way to provide universal coverage. Sorry you don't see it that way and we will just have to agree to disagree.
Your opinion is meaningless. Now collecting medicaid is now a "right".. Give it up..
Quote:
LOL, what am I making up? Sorry sir, but those are the prices that our state exchange has listed for my area for a 19 year old individual with out subsidies. If you like I can easily show them to you.
Why are you picking a 19 year old?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There were millions of people who had low cost health care insurance thru their employer, and were happy with it. Then the ACA made their low cost plan illegal, and many of them could not afford the increased costs for the ACA plan, and are now on Medicaid.
Wonder why their low cost plan was illegal. Lots that I've read about were basic junk that covered very little. And many people did not realize that until they actually tried to use it.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You are changing the subject. YOU were claiming some went on Medicaid after insurance cancellations. The logical question then is if they had to go on Medicaid could they have afforded private health insurance premiums in the first place.
Some DID go on medicaid, thats a fact.. When you expand medicaid into 4x poverty levels, this brings the total income into the $80K range to obtain subsidies.

You dont think people making $50K+ a year can afford private health insurance?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Government creates a regulatory environment it claims fixes things, but all it does is create more problems.

The fourth Georgia hospital in two years is closing its doors due to severe financial difficulties caused by Obamacare’s payment cuts for emergency services.
Fourth Georgia hospital closes due to Obamacare cuts | The Daily Caller
We knew this would happen.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,711,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Quote:
Some DID go on medicaid, thats a fact.. When you expand medicaid into 4x poverty levels, this brings the total income into the $80K range to obtain subsidies.

You dont think people making $50K+ a year can afford private health insurance?
I dont think so. If the employer isnt paying for it I dont see how a family of four with two 40 year old parents can shell out $9700 a year. Apparently the Republican Plan doesnt either since it uses subsidies. Under the ACA they would pay $3365 a year and under the Republican plan slightly more. Regardless you would be against either plan.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
When you expand medicaid into 4x poverty levels, this brings the total income into the $80K range to obtain subsidies.
But obtaining subsidies is not Medicaid. And Medicaid has not been expanded into 4x poverty levels. You are confused.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I dont think so. If the employer isnt paying for it I dont see how a family of four with two 40 year old parents can shell out $9700 a year. Apparently the Republican Plan doesnt either since it uses subsidies. Under the ACA they would pay $3365 a year and under the Republican plan slightly more. Regardless you would be against either plan.
So your solution is to tax them $9700 a year and then give them medicaid..

Once again, THE MONEY NEEDS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies