Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't think you know what "their way of thinking" is.
i don't think you know who "they" are.

i'm not talking about duck dynasty people. i'm talking about the social mores of rural appalachia. the duck dynasty people aren't from appalachia, they are from louisiana.

Quote:
Why do you describe such people as "anti-intellectual?"
because that's what i've observed.

i think it has something to do with being isolated from other people. toss in the preference for religion over secular education, and a healthy dose of right-wing ideology, and you've got the recipe for anti-intellectual behavior.

Quote:
Just because some people like the country, hunting and fishing, or survivalist skills does not make them "anti-intellectual."
i never said that people from appalachia like hunting or fishing any more than, say, someone from lower alabama. nor did i say that hunting and fishing was anti-intellectual. in fact i don't think i mentioned hunting and fishing at all.

Quote:
And it also doesn't make them "distrustful" of strangers
no, their culture and history is what makes them distrustful of strangers. some people argue that it is carried over from the 'border reiver' days of medieval scotland and north england. i don't know if that's the cause or not.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug97/albion/aintro.html

Last edited by le roi; 02-25-2014 at 07:04 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
See my comments in bold.
Again, you are painting a far rosier picture of this area than it actually is. Property is frequently trashed around these parts. I can't tell you the times I've driven in eastern KY and VA and seen derelict appliances left on the front porch, bags of trash piled up, buildings that have collapsed and are never cleaned up. There is a stretch of highway between Barbourville and Pineville KY that has a graveyard of school buses with grasses nearly high as the windows, bodies rusted out and have been there for years.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies