Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

The Dems war on the working class continues. Here is another good example.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers is asking the Obama administration to scale back draft regulations under ObamaCare that would force restaurants to post nutritional information on their menus.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is close to finalizing a rule requiring calorie labels on vending machines and at restaurants and “similar retail food establishments.” Proposed in 2011, the regulations stem from the Affordable Care Act and are designed to combat obesity by helping consumers make healthier choices.

But the group of 24 lawmakers said the draft regulations, which apply to restaurants with 20 or more locations, go beyond Congress’ intent and would create painful new expenses for certain businesses, including delivery joints and eateries that specialize in made-to-order dishes.
“Specifically, the proposed rule limits the ability of businesses to determine for themselves how best to provide nutritional information to customers,” the lawmakers wrote in a letter to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg. “As a result, the proposal harms both those non-restaurants that were not intended to be captured by the menu labeling law as well as those restaurants that have flexibility and variability in the foods they offer.” 

Read more: Uproar over ObamaCare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
I keep wondering how much longer they will keep this abortion on life support.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
The calorie labels have to be on the vending machines themselves ?
But the stuff changes based on what the guy has on stock and is loading up in the machines.
I can't count how many times I went to the junk machine when I was working and wished someone would buy a three musketeers bar so I could get the snickers bar behind it.
And then they all have to be provided for in braille as well per the Accessibility Law.
Only Lord knows why because the blind people can't SEE the items or SEE the prices.
Only that alpha/num pad on the machine itself is in braille…A-2 but they have not clue what A-2 is or how much it costs.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
If people don't have a general grasp on the nutritional content of candy bars and chips and don't realize by now that they are mostly, junk food, do we really need the government stepping in so that they can have greater access to this already easily accessible and obvious information?

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-19-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
LoL, if people are screaming about putting little tags on vending machines will put them out of business, not even the size of an 8x11, with the markup vending machines have...they shouldn't be in business. Plus I don't see how it is freeing about having less information about your purchase before you buy it. I mean, all those horrible government regulations telling you what's in your food is terrible...it's certainly freedom to just buy without knowing what's in the bag or box.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
If Obama changes the requirements wouldnt he be skirting the law and going around congress similar to delaying the small employer mandate? Can you imagine the outrage from the Tea Party? They would be calling for his impeachment and claiming he went around the constitution. Obama-the Imperial Presidency getting rid of calorie cards...outrageous.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If people don't have a general grasp on the nutritional content of candy bars and chips and don't realize by now that they are mostly, junk food, do we really need tot he government stepping in so that they can have greater access to this already easily accessible and obvious information?
Thank you.

We definitely do NOT need the government stepping in.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Thank you.

We definitely do NOT need the government stepping in.
Some of us have dietary requirement for which this is actually pretty nice. The focus of the article is about restaurants with more then 20 locations. I personally think this is some good progress. Its GOOD to let people know what they are eating.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Some of us have dietary requirement for which this is actually pretty nice. The focus of the article is about restaurants with more then 20 locations. I personally think this is some good progress. Its GOOD to let people know what they are eating.
So you think all of us should be raped financially for your convenience?

Here's a clue: If you think you need mandated information from a restaurant... Because your eating there is such a large part of your diet... Then you're beyond hope anyway.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So you think all of us should be raped financially for your convenience?

Here's a clue: If you think you need mandated information from a restaurant... Because your eating there is such a large part of your diet... Then you're beyond hope anyway.
I bet you wouldnt be saying the same thing if he was a Tea Partier and had just had open heart surgery or a heart transplant and was on a strict diet. Then you would want some warnings on food. You gotta love Republicans.. they want government in their pockets and then they dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies