Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Growing up and educated in Catholic schools we had your mortal and your venial sins. Is that gone now?

I didn't go to Catholic school. In fact I didn't grow up in a religious background, but always had faith (a long story). I became a full fledged Catholic prior to getting married, so I went through the adult classes for communion and conformation, as my wife was a full fledged Catholic, and I figured it would make it easier for us to get married in the Church, because she really wanted to continue to be a part of it. I'm now more or less become a recovering Catholic. My wife used to get a little miffed when I expose what I feel are hypocrisies in the religion, but even now she gets a chuckle out of it and says "yeah we were brainwashed." As I've said, I'm no athiest, but I do have some issues with organized religion and the flaws that come with it. I just prefer to live by the words of Christ to love thy neighbor. Not to mention treat others how I would like to be treated, regardless of race, gender, class, sexual orientation...ect..ect... You attract more flies than honey, than with vinegar. I'm not a saint, and never proclaim to be, but I try.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
Growing up and educated in Catholic schools we had your mortal and your venial sins. Is that gone now?
I grew up and was educated in Russian Orthodoxy.
There no distinction between mortal and venial sin.
A sin is a sin.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I grew up and was educated in Russian Orthodoxy.
There no distinction between mortal and venial sin.
A sin is a sin.
That's like saying a crime is a crime.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
This is meant purely to keep the indoctrinated sheeple in line with the 1% ideals, and used nationwide on entertainment channels presented as news. They know it will be overturned in the courts as discriminatory against the constitution, but keeps the wolves at bay and the sheep from actually thinking for themselves.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Gays make up less than 1% of the population.
Nope, you're wrong. The number is much higher than that.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM

924 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Your assuming religious doctrine is based in logic, like the judicial system is.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
hey, I didn't make the rules. Take it up with the leaders of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No, we shouldn't. Last I checked, they were never forced into an occupation dealing with the public.
Business owners can refuse service to the public as long as it is not a protected class. They don't have to deal with customers they don't want to deal with. You can stand in line at a club and be refused entrance while other people get to go in. The gay marriage thing is sticky right now, with rights being all over the place and clashes are inevitable.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Business owners can refuse service to the public as long as it is not a protected class. They don't have to deal with customers they don't want to deal with. You can stand in line at a club and be refused entrance while other people get to go in. The gay marriage thing is sticky right now, with rights being all over the place and clashes are inevitable.
Luckily, I live in a state where discrimination based on sexuality has been illegal for more than a decade.

Some religious beliefs are going to discriminate against protected classes. If Arizona puts this law into play, whose religious freedom rules? Could I, as a Jew, tell a Christian that I won't bake a cake for his kid's communion based on religion? Could a Christian hotel owner tell a Jewish family that they cannot rent out a block of rooms for their kid's bar mitzvah? Could a Muslim deny service to people with service dogs? Who trumps who?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Windor v US and lesser appellate courts cases has set Homosexuality as a protected class. It won't be long that Homosexuality is added to the protected class list.

So says the US Supreme Court so says us all. If the US and the constitution recognizes homosexuality as a protected class...Az is not far behind. Kicking and screaming...or by their own volition.
And the list of those with official victimhood status grows. I'm sorry, either laws are the same for everyone, or they aren't. I don't like these protected groups laws, is it okay to refuse those people not lucky enough to have an over-vocal lobby in government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies