Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Muslim hacks already deny service to fares accompanied by service dogs (in violation, BTW, of the ADA) and those carrying bags that appear to contain alcohol. Also, a Muslim cashier at Wegmans refused to check out shoppers with certain products and those shoppers were directed to antoher line. Bad publicity led Wegmans to put an end to that policy, and they ultimately let her go.

Yes, and I am against all such actions. I believe most people are. If a person applies for a job to sell groceries, then said person should not, after being hired, claim 'religion' as a basis for not selling alcohol to a customer.

This Arizona proposal is so broad and poorly written that it would indeed have all sorts of unintended consequences, as I was implying with my "Muslims and Jews refusing to serve Christians".

However, for those Republicans that support it (I believe every single one in the state Senate did so), it will look good on their resume when running for re-election.

Frankly, if the Arizona senate wished to pass a bill stating that religious people may refuse service to gays, they should have written the bill that way. If you are going to go down the road of discrimination, then have the balls to state it outright.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Muslim hacks already deny service to fares accompanied by service dogs (in violation, BTW, of the ADA) and those carrying bags that appear to contain alcohol. Also, a Muslim cashier at Wegmans refused to check out shoppers with certain products and those shoppers were directed to antoher line. Bad publicity led Wegmans to put an end to that policy, and they ultimately let her go.
It would be interesting if a gay couples was denied a service by a Muslim owned business. It would put liberals in a tough spot becausethey try to pander to these two groups.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
The vast majority of businesses don't care, but if there is one small business here and there that objects and doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding, just go elsewhere. Its not like this is a Huge problem, most bakers would love to make that cake. The people suing are causing the ruckus and possibility of new laws protecting businesses and bringing attention to religion rights.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess that a Muslim or Jewish owner of a business may then deny service to a Christian?
As a Christian I would go somewhere else, and that would be the end of it. I'm not a 'drama queen.'

Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I think it's a good thing

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is nothing in the Constitution that protects any religion. There is nothing that impedes a religion, either. Separation of church and state is a vital part of the Constitution.

It was intentional as well. England has an official religion, and the founding fathers knew very well what came from allowing religion into government. England went to war with itself for over a century after the Church of England was established. The church has a different name in the United States.

Nailed it right here banjo! I'll go on to say that while this country may have been founded, on and our Constitution was written with our Creator in mind, the forefathers knew what they were doing when it came to separating church and state. I sure as hell don't want an official state religion, because who is to say that the government's version of that religion is the right one? History has shown how man has used and twisted religion as a tool for power to further his agenda. A lot of times with unfavorable results, and harm to many. And no, I'm no atheist, or agnostic.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Boycott Arizona. Goodbye tourism, conventions, and snowbirds.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

If you had your own restraunt and someone asked you to cater to a KKK rally, would you serve them? Using your own argument you should because refusing not to would be discrimination.
There is nothing even faintly religious about the KKK.
They are a hate group, nothing more.

Sure, I'd serve them...serve them a big batch of food guaranteed to cause tummy troubles a few hours later.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Nailed it right here banjo! I'll go on to say that while this country may have been founded, on and our Constitution was written with our Creator in mind, the forefathers knew what they were doing when it came to separating church and state. I sure as hell don't want an official state religion, because who is to say that the government's version of that religion is the right one? History has shown how man has used and twisted religion as a tool for power to further his agenda. A lot of times with unfavorable results, and harm to many. And no, I'm no atheist, or agnostic.
Separation of Church and State is not in the Constitution. It simply means that there can be no state Church or Government established religion. They cannot force you to be a Christian or go to church etc.... However things such as Praying in School (By individual choice, not forced participation) or having The 10 Commandments on public property does not violate the First Amendment in anyway whatsoever, as it's simply an expression of Free Speech. It's not forcing anyone to do anything.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
There is nothing even faintly religious about the KKK.
They are a hate group, nothing more.

Sure, I'd serve them...serve them a big batch of food guaranteed to cause tummy troubles a few hours later.
Actually I think the KKK does have crosses, so it could be argued but you're missing the point. People should not be forced to providea sspeciality service that goes directly against their values or Religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies