Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I admit I didn't read the whole bill, but there was nothing in it that I did read that would lead me to think that it allows refusal of service for gays. Only in speciality cases where it's might violate the Religious Rights of the business.

It was pretty clear to me. Please point out what parts of the bill you are concerned with or think are unclear?

If CFA was asked to provide food for a gay wedding I'm sure they would refuse just like a lot of other businesses. This is nothingaabout serving people, gay or straight, its about providing a SPECIALITY servicetthat violates you're beliefs. If you had your own restraunt and someone asked you to cater to a KKK rally, would you serve them? Using your own argument you should because refusing not to would be discrimination.
Try reading the bill. I have linked to it several times. It in no way singles out any specific type of business. That means it applies to ALL businesses.
I have pointed out the section on religious freedom in the bill several times. If you can't read the bill for yourself, then I am not discussing this any more with you. READ the bill, then point out to me where it only allows discrimination for specialty services. Back up your position, I already have numerous times.

When CFA is hired to cater a wedding and refuses, then that bridge will be crossed, until then it is nothing but a strawman argument. Besides what self respecting couple would hire CFA to cater their wedding? Seriously.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Actually I think the KKK does have crosses, so it could be argued but you're missing the point. People should not be forced to providea sspeciality service that goes directly against their values or Religious beliefs.
Please point out where "specialty services" is even mentioned in this bill.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/2r/bills/sb1062p.pdf

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Separation of Church and State is not in the Constitution. It simply means that there can be no state Church or Government established religion. They cannot force you to be a Christian or go to church etc.... However things such as Praying in School (By individual choice, not forced participation) or having The 10 Commandments on public property does not violate the First Amendment in anyway whatsoever, as it's simply an expression of Free Speech. It's not forcing anyone to do anything.
That depends, having the 10 Commandments only violates the first amendment, letting any religion put up a monument to their religion isn't. That is why it is funny if a religious group wants to put up a Jesus statue, the Devil Worshippers can put up a big statue of Satan next to Jesus. We wouldn't want to discriminate after all.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My homestate politicians back at their normal idiocy again. And whaddya know..led by yet ANOTHER East Valley idiot..as usual.

I used to be proud to be an East Valley native, but I ain't so sure anymore. Thank goodness I'm no longer in Maricopa County. SMH..

Arizona...comfortably maintaining its reputation as having the dumbest, most insane politicians in the western world.
Kansas and Mo. have some really stupid MOPES.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Separation of Church and State is not in the Constitution. It simply means that there can be no state Church or Government established religion. They cannot force you to be a Christian or go to church etc.... However things such as Praying in School (By individual choice, not forced participation) or having The 10 Commandments on public property does not violate the First Amendment in anyway whatsoever, as it's simply an expression of Free Speech. It's not forcing anyone to do anything.

For the record the 10 Commandments in a school or a public property doesn't bother me. Praying in school doesn't either, because you're right... if one doesn't have faith, or is a different religion, why not just not partake in the prayer, or pray in your own religion how you see fit. Oh well. Whatever. I don't get offended by too much. Let people live their lives, and live your own. That is the way I see it. Too many people are in each other's business in this day and age.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Effing idiots just gave a green light for aspects of Shariah Law.

Arizonastan , Brownbackistan, Tennesse Taliban, What state will be next?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You don't prevent discrimination by writing laws to specifically allow discrimination.

If you can't operate a business because of your religious beliefs, DON'T OPEN A BUSINESS.
Well said.thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Actually I think the KKK does have crosses, so it could be argued but you're missing the point. People should not be forced to provide a specialty service that goes directly against their values or Religious beliefs.
What exactly do you mean by "specialty service" and try to be specific; give me an example, because i have my own opinions on this.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, if you frequent some businesses regularly, eventually people will know. But what about, say, a supermarket; a golf course; an amusement park? It seems that those business also would be allowed to discriminate, but how would they know who is gay out of the hundreds/thousands of people who come and go in a day?

Anyway, my comment was meant to be sarcastic.

Arizona and those other states that tried to do this are just pathetic.
So a person at a Golf Tournament could be refused service from a hotdog vendor(etc) because he thinks he doesn't like their religious beliefs?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Arizonastan , Brownbackistan, Tennesse Taliban, What state will be next?
Don't forget Idaho.
http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2014/H0427.pdf
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/leg...2014/H0426.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies