Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Most Blacks Are Trying To Be White?
Yes, Likely They Want To Blend In With Part of Society/Fashion 10 14.93%
Yes, Because They Feel Victimized/Hated Otherwise 3 4.48%
No, This Is Absurd & Possibly Racist To Even Point Out 14 20.90%
No, Only a Small Percentage Do It 22 32.84%
None Of The Above 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,102,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'd break it down by sex and age here. More and more Millineal Black ladies are talking proper, straightening their hair and so on to "fit in" and, it seems, to catch a white dude as a husband since way too many Black dudes DON'T take care of business.
Talking proper is not being white.

And most black women that I know are with black men and most black men that I know are with black women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,920,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Most black men that I see and know are with women who are Nia Long or Kerry Washington's skin tone.

Some are married to dark skin tone women and light skin tones as well, though. But I don't know of any blacks "obsessed" with light skinned.
LOL, you got me there. I didn't mean "obsessed" that way. Sorry.

By the way, did any healthcare professional ever say definitively that MJ had vitiligo? I always thought that it was a manufactured story to justify what MJ was doing to his skin and keep him from looking "ashamed" of being black.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times
Quote:
I'll give you that. Tho attitudes are changing since more and more "quadroons" are self "ID'ing" as "white" in 2014 especially since many of them ain't accepted by many dark skin "real" Black people.
That is not true, at least in the BLACK circles that I know. Being a person of color is more then just the darkness of one's skin, it is an attitude and a way that you present yourself to other people

Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
White people have surgery as well.

And when vitiligo advances, you do have to get rid of the color to make it even. I know someone who did the same thing.

Again, why would he want to be pale skinned?

Many blacks that I know with the disease have DARKEN their skin through cosmetics, why MJ decided to do the opposite is something that went with him to the grave.

Oh btw, I cannot recall any white male that had any surgery to inhance or give them black features. women do it because many men find exotic women attractive and that happens to be women of color

Old 02-23-2014, 07:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,817,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That is not true, at least in the BLACK circles that I know. Being a person of color is more then just the darkness of one's skin, it is an attitude and a way that you present yourself to other people
I've known several "quadroons" and ALL of them ID'ed as "white", maybe because they looked "anglo", I don't know. Too; most of the Black ladies here in Bullhead below about 30 years of age, their kids are pretty damn light with curly hair, hell many of those babies are too "white" to even pass as a "normal" Hispanic.

Person of color attitude: I've been Brits who were def dark skin Black, they're still English to me, def none of that "swag" bit in the way they talk or act.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,506,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know how many people here remember Curtiss Mayfield's "Choice of Colors."

If before being born we were shown the US as it is and given a choice of being born either black or white into it, who would honestly choose to be black?

The motivations to look as white as possible are not the same as the motivations to look as black as possible (as though anyone was doing that).
I get what you're saying here, but I love being black, just like I love being a woman. now if I could only stay one, I would chose staying a woman over staying black, because I REALLY love being a woman. anyways, I think people's desire to be something are not comes from not knowing themselves. I indulge in both my blackness and my womanhood.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Look at us now: The black and white twins as they turn seven | Mail Online

Both parents would be "Black" in the US: 1 of of their kids ain't, going by looks.
skin color and features do not determine your blackness. it is cultural and societal. these twins are actually still half and half, like lenny kravitz's daughter, but I could see them identifying as black as they will probably have the black experience.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Mr X was part "white". LOL So is Mr Ali, the boxer, he's part Irish and looks it except for darker skin.
very few of us, black americans, are not part white, but we're all still black.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I get what you're saying here, but I love being black, just like I love being a woman. now if I could only stay one, I would chose staying a woman over staying black, because I REALLY love being a woman. anyways, I think people's desire to be something are not comes from not knowing themselves. I indulge in both my blackness and my womanhood.
The question of the song is, though, "What if you didn't already have 'skin in the game'?"

I had qualified a point: You have to take American society as it is. From that point, add up the pros and cons of being black, compare them to the pros and cons of being white in this society.

As comedian Louis CK quipped, "White is not better, but being white is clearly better."

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I've known several "quadroons" and ALL of them ID'ed as "white", maybe because they looked "anglo", I don't know. Too; most of the Black ladies here in Bullhead below about 30 years of age, their kids are pretty damn light with curly hair, hell many of those babies are too "white" to even pass as a "normal" Hispanic.

Person of color attitude: I've been Brits who were def dark skin Black, they're still English to me, def none of that "swag" bit in the way they talk or act.

From my understanding is that you are comparing a minute population of blacks in your town and using that as the basis for black behavior. When there is a small population of blacks their behavior is not the norm for all black behavior in areas where there are more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies