Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Most Blacks Are Trying To Be White?
Yes, Likely They Want To Blend In With Part of Society/Fashion 10 14.93%
Yes, Because They Feel Victimized/Hated Otherwise 3 4.48%
No, This Is Absurd & Possibly Racist To Even Point Out 14 20.90%
No, Only a Small Percentage Do It 22 32.84%
None Of The Above 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM

334 posts, read 452,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As I've repeatedly said, Latin America is very much a Eurocentric, white supremacist culture.
Latin American nations tend to be more mestizocentrists/mulattocentrists etc more so than Eurocentrist or white supremacist.

Last edited by CorderoAries; 03-21-2014 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I don't think this is 100% accurate. the weave thing is not shade specific. find me a light skin celebrity and i'll show you a weave (rhianna/beyonce). many of the women I see going natural are actually dark or brown skin. just saying. also, promiscuity is not shade, race, sexual orientation or gender specific in this day and age. my only issue is I wish more people would use protection/birth control responsibly.
The thing I find funny is that when light skinned or mixed women go natural, darker skinned or blacker looking people often come out of the woodworks saying oh why are all these light skinned people and mixed breeds co opting the natural hair movement, when just a minute ago they were accusing these folks of being anti black or questioning why they don't embrace curls or naps and kinks. Can't have it both ways. It's so hypocritical. It's like with any issue, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Smh

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you are not a "mulatto" if you have two black identifying parents, regardless of how light you are. niki manaj's name is an obvious play on Ménage à trois. Michael Jackson was no more a "mulatto" than the 37 million other black americans.
Do you have proof that Minaj is a play on the the ménage a trois? Nick Minaj's real name is Onika Tanya Miraj, which inspired her stage name. Nicki Minaj is Trinidadian by the way.

And it takes 2 black people and black parents to make a black person.

A person can be multigenerational mixed person such as Vanessa Williams, Tisha Campbell, Stacey Lattisaw etc.

Terrence Howard for example was born to two parents each that are each mulattoes.

Also where does one draw the line as in to who is black and/or who's not? Is George Zimmerman black since he has an Afro Peruvian mother? Is Carly Simon black since she has Afro Cuban and other African ancestry in her?

Is Heather Locklear or Johnny Depp black since they have notable black ancestry? Where does one draw the line?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Michael Jackson had a skin disease and he wore a wig.
Michael Jackson had vitiligo and he also burned his scalp and damaged his hair during that filming shoot for his soft drink deal endorsement. So he had to have hair added in and adjusted frequently through his plastic surgery obsessions.

Michael Jackson also took estrogen pills to regulate his voice from becoming to deep because he wanted to maintain a kid like or squealing higher pitch voice.

There are lots of things MJ did to alter his state of being and it perhaps was a publicity stunt and like a drug like he was addicted to having surgery done. Once you start you can't stop. I don't think MJ suffered from self hate or hating his race.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't know about blacks wanting to be white, but I did notice something interesting lately. I have seen a lot of black women with white men. Before recently I would see some black men with white women, but the reverse was always very rare. I'm not sure if it is happenstance or an actual shift in culture.
Black women have always married white men and vice versa and been in relationships and had children. It's very common and always has been.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If Africans are openly doing this, why is it so hard to believe that there are some confused and self-hating blacks in this country doing it as well?

African Phenomenal of Bleaching skin to look “white ...

African Singer Speaks Openly About Bleaching Her Skin ...

South African Singer Bleaches Skin, Has a 'Passion For ...
African and black do NOT mean the same thing.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When the black pride movement gained prominence in the 60s, it was absolutely our reaction to the historical and constant pressure to look white, and we all knew that straightening the hair had always been acquiescence to that pressure. That's why wearing a 'Fro was considered a political statement of resistance, not a fashion statement. We hurled the challenge, "Am I black enough for you?" because we were tired of never being white enough for America.

In fact, adopting the word "black" itself to describe ourselves was a political statement, a deliberate raising of the fist, metaphorically speaking, in deliberate diametric opposition to being "white."

This entire movement was not in reaction to nothing--it was in reaction to the pressure to look white that we'd been subjected to for all of the 20th century.
Then why did James Brown keep his hair relaxed and sing "Say it again, I'm black and I'm proud"? If James Brown was so proud to be black why did he have relaxed hair? Why did Al Sharpton have relaxed hair? Funny thing also is that many black people frequent Dominican hair salons and beauty shops yet have the nerve to call out Dominicans for self hate issues and straightening hair, yet black people go to them and act jealous that Dominicans are the beat at hair care and give black people a run for their money in the hair department business. Many of the black power movement people often times married outside their race and had mixed race children even though they publicly were racist to whites or spoke out against whites but were in cahoots and having sex with their so called "enemies". Lol smh.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When the black pride movement gained prominence in the 60s, it was absolutely our reaction to the historical and constant pressure to look white, and we all knew that straightening the hair had always been acquiescence to that pressure. That's why wearing a 'Fro was considered a political statement of resistance, not a fashion statement. We hurled the challenge, "Am I black enough for you?" because we were tired of never being white enough for America.

In fact, adopting the word "black" itself to describe ourselves was a political statement, a deliberate raising of the fist, metaphorically speaking, in deliberate diametric opposition to being "white."

This entire movement was not in reaction to nothing--it was in reaction to the pressure to look white that we'd been subjected to for all of the 20th century.
Hmm, didn't you say on another thread that you are in an interracial marriage or relationship and/or have an interracial child or son??

Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
To quote the great Malcolm X they have something known as white's disease...

Malcolm X - You Got What's Known As 'White's Disease' - YouTube
Malcolm X was mixed race and his views changed more towards the end of his life. He was filled with so much hate in his heart and was racist bit was able to turn around and saw the light of truth in working for an equal all encompassing world more towards the end of his life.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Beyonce doesn't want to be white. She's just smart. She crafted this image she has so that she can appeal to the white mainstream. The blonde hair, L'Oreal commercials, contouring makeup, and the heavily pop influenced songs and performances makes her more universal.
Beyónçé is just that relevant and popular enough. I don't even think it has to do with what she crafted. Fans and people in general just love Beyonce and whatever she is doing is working because she brings in and generates so much money. It's all about that money and homegirl stays getting paid. Later for all her haters. She is probably looking at this thread and the OP and saying what the ****? This thread right her is giving into what she wants. But anyway......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies