Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do You Think Most Blacks Are Trying To Be White?
Yes, Likely They Want To Blend In With Part of Society/Fashion 10 14.93%
Yes, Because They Feel Victimized/Hated Otherwise 3 4.48%
No, This Is Absurd & Possibly Racist To Even Point Out 14 20.90%
No, Only a Small Percentage Do It 22 32.84%
None Of The Above 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM
 
20,524 posts, read 15,818,474 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is true, or at least it has been true. It is changing now, and it's changing more for light-skinned blacks than for dark-skinned blacks. Whereas in the past, if white America could visually identify you as being in any percentage black, or if they otherwise knew you were some percentage black, you were treated as black.

Being light-skinned did not get anyone into a "Whites Only" country club or movie theater or restaurant. Being light-skinned did not get you a job in a place that only hired whites. It did not get your rape case investigated by the police. Lena Horne was still forced to pee in a cup because they wouldn't let her use the club bathroom.

It didn't even get you any more movie or television roles--light-skinned actors actually got fewer roles, because they were chosen not for "black roles," but for specific "light-skinned black" roles. And most of those were "tragic mulatto" roles, because white America definitely wanted the message to be that race-mixing led to tragic results.

These days, it's different. White society does favor light-skinned blacks, and that is increasing the scourge of colorism far greater than it had been when blacks of all hues were equally discriminated against.
Things ARE changing like as in the "1 drop rule" is being ignored by anglos white people, even many racist ones in 2014. Hell, MOST light skin quadroons I've met ID as "anglo white" because they LOOK it. Tho the "1 drop rule" is being picked up by some Black people now to TRY to keep the quadroons back on the "plantation" IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,027 posts, read 2,506,318 times
Reputation: 1964
[quote=Ralph_Kirk;33996415]This is true, or at least it has been true. It is changing now, and it's changing more for light-skinned blacks than for dark-skinned blacks. Whereas in the past, if white America could visually identify you as being in any percentage black, or if they otherwise knew you were some percentage black, you were treated as black.

Being light-skinned did not get anyone into a "Whites Only" country club or movie theater or restaurant. Being light-skinned did not get you a job in a place that only hired whites. It did not get your rape case investigated by the police. Lena Horne was still forced to pee in a cup because they wouldn't let her use the club bathroom.

It didn't even get you any more movie or television roles--light-skinned actors actually got fewer roles, because they were chosen not for "black roles," but for specific "light-skinned black" roles. And most of those were "tragic mulatto" roles, because white America definitely wanted the message to be that race-mixing led to tragic results.

These days, it's different. White society does favor light-skinned blacks, and that is increasing the scourge of colorism far greater than it had been when blacks of all hues were equally discriminated against.[/quote]
I don't think this is common in white society. I have seen some whites express this idea, but most still see anyone who is not white, particularly people having some black ancestry, as other. even light skin people with two black parents don't really seem to be pushing this idea. honestly, it seems that this is most common among biracial/multiracial people with a non black parent and they are the ones trying to incorporate light skin blacks into their group. biracial people aren't black, by definition. and they can identify however they like, so why do they have a problem with light skin blacks like my husband or Tisha Campbell identifying as black. O/T, to the other poster, if Tisha Campbell wasn't as light skin, even if she was my daughter's shade, still light, but browner, her features would identify her as a black American. she has very afro-centric features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
 
937 posts, read 1,130,572 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Hmmm...outside of Michael Jackson and Sosa, none of those people are trying to be white. Dying your hair blonde doesn't mean you want to be white. Plenty of natural brunette/red haired white women do the same! And Nicki Minaj's own hair (underneath the wig) is actually natural, so your argument there is out.

I would imagine that many straighten their hair for manageability. I used to relax my hair for many years, but went natural about 1.5 years ago. When you grow up used to having straight hair, it is an adjustment learning how to do things the natural way. There are plenty of curly-haired white people who undergo similar processes to straighten their hair.

BTW, butt implants, lip injections and tanning could all be ways that some are seeking to look more "ethnic", but rather than focus on them, I say let folks do what they want with their bodies and hair.
I agree with you. When I decided to go natural, it was definitely a major adjustment, because as my hair grew out, I had to spend far more time styling it. But obviously, when my hair was chemically treated, I could simply brush my hair quickly and go. My natural curly/kinky texture is beautiful, but I certainly understand why some women who have a similar hair texture, opt to use a hair straightener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
18,258 posts, read 22,440,383 times
Reputation: 19593
And so the C-D obsession with black people marches on...and on and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
 
20,524 posts, read 15,818,474 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And so the C-D obsession with black people marches on...and on and on and on.
It's CDF. All sorts of stuff gets talked about here. Not just about Black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,095 posts, read 25,886,809 times
Reputation: 6128
Malcolm X put lye in his hair and got a "conk" - which he later regretted (see The Autobiography of Malcolm X).

Harrier thinks that there is something to this thread - why can't people keep themselves as nature(or God) made them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
 
3,620 posts, read 3,813,727 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Malcolm X put lye in his hair and got a "conk" - which he later regretted (see The Autobiography of Malcolm X).

Harrier thinks that there is something to this thread - why can't people keep themselves as nature(or God) made them.
ill remember you said that the next time i see a white woman outside of darque tan waiting to go in to darken her skin because she hates the color of her skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
18,258 posts, read 22,440,383 times
Reputation: 19593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's CDF. All sorts of stuff gets talked about here. Not just about Black people.
On any given day there are multiple "why do black people....?" threads that are on the 1st page of any of the many sub-forums on C-D. Create a thread about white people or Asians and see how quickly those last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
 
3,620 posts, read 3,813,727 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
On any given day there are multiple "why do black people....?" threads that are on the 1st page of any of the many sub-forums on C-D. Create a thread about white people or Asians and see how quickly those last.
i dont see it many places, primarily just the political forum.

remember though, a good portion of the conservative white males who post here are from stormfront. many have admitted so in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
 
579 posts, read 757,924 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i dont see it many places, primarily just the political forum.

remember though, a good portion of the conservative white males who post here are from stormfront. many have admitted so in the past.
What's wrong with Stormfront?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top