U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Most Blacks Are Trying To Be White?
Yes, Likely They Want To Blend In With Part of Society/Fashion 10 14.93%
Yes, Because They Feel Victimized/Hated Otherwise 3 4.48%
No, This Is Absurd & Possibly Racist To Even Point Out 14 20.90%
No, Only a Small Percentage Do It 22 32.84%
None Of The Above 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

57,026 posts, read 34,489,631 times

Advertisements

Meh..black folks have insecurities like like everyone else.

This is a white world and that world exalts the Caucasian/white beauty standard.

Doesn't bother me..just the way it is.

When some guy gushes about how some girl "has blonde hair and blue eyes"...I always laugh because I don't get what that's supposed to mean. When I lived in Europe, women in the South of the continent were FAR .hotter than the ones up north.

But here, I guess those traits make you automatically a hottie Lol..not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

16,213 posts, read 10,523,828 times
Actually, I don't think that black people try to act and imitate white people but then I do in a way.

In regards to relaxers, I feel that it has such a long tradition with black people that those that continue to do it (and get weaves) have forgotten that black people did it initially in order to try to be like white people. Originally that was what black people were doing in the 19th and early 20th century but after that, it has just become habit moreso IMO.

That said, I have had natural hair since the late 1990s. I don't think that relaxed hair or weaves is easier to manage because they take way more money and time than my natural coifs to do. I also see a trend in more black women going natural and not relaxing their hair anymore. They may still weave or wear wigs but that is a huge thing IMO that more black women are embracing their nappiness so to speak in regards to our hair. I hope my daughter never gets a relaxer.

I do think that people in general view whites as the image of beauty over black. But OP, as a black person, you would know that most of the time black people, especially black women do not take the stereotypical personification of the blond haired, blue eyed, bone thin, white woman as a model that we aim to fulfill in our own bodies and in general I think the fashion of blacks in America in general is something that is copied much moreso than the other way around.

Black people and our music and fashion and even hair styles have always been innovative and creative in this country. This is why I laugh when people talk about us not being "assimilated" because black people in more ways than other ethnicities have created "American culture" especially pop culture and American music. We are more American IMO than any other group and our modes of presenting ourselves are emulated across the globe some good and some bad, but either way, people copy us more than we copy them.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,149,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Well, I'd say Madonna for example wearing a gold grill as a fashion statement is an affectation.
I don't consider that acting black. There are MILLIONS of black people in the US who don't wear gold grills. You're calling this a black affectation because maybe a few thousand people wear them?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,324,061 times
um, black people dont want to be white...thats a crock of bullshhh

we make fun of white people as often as possible

what many black people want is equal treatment

---

now slightly off topic and regarding the pics of michael jackson and sammy sosa that is something else mainly psychological

in case you are white and in a bubble, the black community has always even till this day have this "light skin vs. dark skin" syndrome and i dont see it going away any time soon

there are many black people that HATE other blacks with dark skin, dark skin blacks are treated worst by their own family and amongst other blacks. dark skin blacks are called every name in the book from early childhood and it fukks up their self esteem (specifically dark skin black women)

dark skin black women because of this self esteem issue do try to seek out a Euro look hence all the weave...bleach blonde wigs and other rediculousness

in addition they tend to be very permiscuous and focus on their ASSets in order to feel better about themselves

i have to always bring this up in a "black people" thread because alot of people are in a bubble and arent aware of this information and CD might be their only opportunity to "learn" lol

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

5,366 posts, read 6,195,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Sounds reasonable but it also sounds like a quick dismissal of the underlying cause.

What if the roles reversed here. What if Jim Carry did a hair transplant to have nappy hair? Or if Jimmy Fallon took skin pigmentation pills to be black?

Of course the topic of Mulattos would not count here, because their looks would be non-surgical and non-altered by using products... here are examples of folks just being born that way:

Mariah Carey, Derek Jeter, Barack Obama, Alicia Keys, etc.
All of those people in the photos the op posted are Mulatto though. Even Nikki Minage has south Asian ancestry and that is where her stage name comes from.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

15,438 posts, read 10,026,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I don't consider that acting black. There are MILLIONS of black people in the US who don't wear gold grills. You're calling this a black affectation because maybe a few thousand people wear them?
Again, I didn't say "acting black". You continue to twist my words for whatever reason. I have nothing further to add to this discussion.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 AM

9,183 posts, read 7,431,647 times
"Treat me with respect on this subject, I am an Iraq veteran and I am also black."

I'll tell you the truth. This is a dumb poll. None of the celebrities you mentioned is trying to be White. Good lord!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

9,183 posts, read 7,431,647 times
And by the way, Michael Jackson has a skin disease "vitiligo". Look it up!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually, I don't think that black people try to act and imitate white people but then I do in a way.

In regards to relaxers, I feel that it has such a long tradition with black people that those that continue to do it (and get weaves) have forgotten that black people did it initially in order to try to be like white people. Originally that was what black people were doing in the 19th and early 20th century but after that, it has just become habit moreso IMO.

That said, I have had natural hair since the late 1990s. I don't think that relaxed hair or weaves is easier to manage because they take way more money and time than my natural coifs to do. I also see a trend in more black women going natural and not relaxing their hair anymore. They may still weave or wear wigs but that is a huge thing IMO that more black women are embracing their nappiness so to speak in regards to our hair. I hope my daughter never gets a relaxer.

I do think that people in general view whites as the image of beauty over black. But OP, as a black person, you would know that most of the time black people, especially black women do not take the stereotypical personification of the blond haired, blue eyed, bone thin, white woman as a model that we aim to fulfill in our own bodies and in general I think the fashion of blacks in America in general is something that is copied much moreso than the other way around.

Black people and our music and fashion and even hair styles have always been innovative and creative in this country. This is why I laugh when people talk about us not being "assimilated" because black people in more ways than other ethnicities have created "American culture" especially pop culture and American music. We are more American IMO than any other group and our modes of presenting ourselves are emulated across the globe some good and some bad, but either way, people copy us more than we copy them.
Now, that's some truth talking.

And, like you, I've noticed more and more women going natural. I made the decision 1.5 years ago and my teen daughters have not had a perm since then either. I have no plans to even introduce this concept to my 5 year old daughter.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Again, I didn't say "acting black". You continue to twist my words for whatever reason. I have nothing further to add to this discussion.
What is an affectation if not the way a person behaves/speaks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies