Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Most Blacks Are Trying To Be White?
Yes, Likely They Want To Blend In With Part of Society/Fashion 10 14.93%
Yes, Because They Feel Victimized/Hated Otherwise 3 4.48%
No, This Is Absurd & Possibly Racist To Even Point Out 14 20.90%
No, Only a Small Percentage Do It 22 32.84%
None Of The Above 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,788,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yes, and Mexican is a race how again? she is of east African descent. her nationality is Mexican.
Many Mexicans DO try to claim being a race tho you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 PM

28,537 posts, read 18,496,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
No; we're NOT "clear"! I asked how YOU would feel if you tested out LESS than half Black but you ducked the question.
Since I've identified as black, been treated as black, looked black, and couldn't have passed for white anyway, it really wouldn't matter to me. It would be a curious but useless historical fact, like discovering that I had an ancestor who was Masai nobleman in the 1800s.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 AM

334 posts, read 451,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yes, and Mexican is a race how again? she is of east African descent. her nationality is Mexican.
Try again. I never mentioned anything about Mexican being a race. In fact I responded to your comment because you left out that Lupita is actually Mexican born and raised. She does identify as Mexican and she does speak fluent Spanish. I of all people definitely know that Mexican is NOT a race. Trust.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 AM

334 posts, read 451,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Many Mexicans DO try to claim being a race tho you're right.

Yea I don't get it how people confuse nationality and race at times.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 AM

579 posts, read 756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not even getting the point of racist whites insisting that Obama is not black. I can't imagine the point they think they're making.

It's not "back on the plantation," it's "back on the team."

America today is developing what it had not had before--a "colored" division between black and white such as South Africa had.

To some extent, this "colored/mixed/biracial" division is even more distinctly intended to be directly biracial--as with an immediate black/white parentage and not merely a light-skinned black (who might be the offspring of two light-skinned blacks), where the difference can be presumed (such as light eyes, keen features, and light hair). And yes, there are some areas of the US where the word "colored" is being revived specifically for the children of direct black/white parents, as is "mulatto."

Black people have been fighting this tendency and trying to keep everyone of color "on the team," but that's probably futile. The truth in the United States is that race is what white people determine it to be, especially with regard to blacks. If white people decide there needs to be a "colored" category, white people will start recognizing it as such, and that's what will happen...regardless of what either dark-skinned black people or light-skinned black people think about it.

And the "colored/mixed/biracial" kids will go along with it because it confers advantages to them to be the favored flavor of the moment. Colorism in the past existed because it's always been the case that "white is right." But it was suppressed to a significant degree among blacks by the fact that all hues were equally discriminated against. In other words, white culture did not support colorism.

White culture today does support colorism, so it flourishes more than ever before.
We Whites are certainty not flourishing "more than ever before" and are actually currently dying off, at an alarming rate (birth rates)

White Guilt is undefeated.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM

28,537 posts, read 18,496,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
We Whites are certainty not flourishing "more than ever before" and are actually currently dying off, at an alarming rate (birth rates)

If you were not so centered on yourself, you would have properly understood the antecedent of "it" in my sentence.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 PM

138 posts, read 326,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post

Yea I don't get it how people confuse nationality and race at times.
An Overwhelming majority of Mexicans are Mestizo or pure Indigenous. It's not that hard to see why nations are equated to race. Much like how German is equated to white. That's not to say that there aren't exceptions, but most people tend to fit the stereotype.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,788,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
An Overwhelming majority of Mexicans are Mestizo or pure Indigenous. It's not that hard to see why nations are equated to race. Much like how German is equated to white. That's not to say that there aren't exceptions, but most people tend to fit the stereotype.
Agreed tho word is MOST Mexicans; IF asked what race, they'll say they're "white", NOT Indian or mixed.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,243,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post

So have more babies.

White people reproduce just under replacement rate (about the same rate as Asians in America) ... so it's not some "alarming rate" of decline, and has nothing to do with "white guilt." Generational prosperity and industrialization leads to lower birthrates. This is seen across the industrialized world, regardless of wealth.

Without immigration, the population would be generally stable, slightly dipping.

Do remember thought, that while other groups have higher raw birthrates, they also suffer higher infant mortality and younger mortality in general. Which is why immigration fuels our population.

To show how prosperity means less children, in Mexico, birthrates are falling precipitously as wealth increases in that country. The ones that come here -- often the poor of their home countries, have more kids. No indication yet of how that will play out two generations from now.

Birth rates also ebb and flow with trends. The black and white birthrates in America, for example, dipped to about 1.7 and 1.6, respectively, in the 1970s and are both higher today. Births to immigrant women in America is also trending downward from highs experienced in the 2000s.

As long as immigrant children are taught American values and integrate into American culture, it really isn't anything that should affect anyone's lives.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,240,634 times
Actually, I think that the title is wrong. It should asked "Why do blacks change their appearance to be ACCEPTED by whites". I have only heard about two blacks that openly admitted to wanting to be white, once was on television and the other was a psyche patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies