Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Probably won't go anywhere. The liberals in LA and San Fran will never let the more productive parts of the state leave them.

But it's a nice thought.

Be a shame to hack up the formerly great state into pieces. But when a body is fatally infected with parasites, all you can do is cut out the most rotted parts (yellow and green areas below), to let the rest live as best it can.

-----------------------------------------------

Secretary of State Debra Bowen announced that the proposed ballot initiative – known as Six Californias – could move forward Tuesday.

Valid voter signatures are needed from 800,000 to put the measure on the ballot statewide.
This has been discussed to death.

1. Los Angeles' GDP is more than 1/3 of the entire states. If you are going to try to claim liberals are less productive , please dont use argument that can be debunked by a simple google search.

2. You dont want a split California, Conservatives would only control 2, you would be Gerrymandering yourselves out of a majority in the senate.

You would be packing the majority of conservatives in California into 2 states, so while you may gain 4 senators, the Dems would gain 6

3. This is actually an extension of #2. Yellow and green arent all you need to worry about

Orange and Purple California would both go blue in Presidential elections.In fact, It would be a land slide in purple

maybe this will better show the flaw in your argument.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Aren't the farmers markets and billion dollar vegan food industry you liberal coastals love so much mainly subsidized and supported by the agriculture from the farmers in the inland and central red valleys? You'll be needing them more than they'll be needing you.
Nope, its called corporate farming. those commercials you see of farmers are for the most part staged. Corporations own the majority of farming crops in this nation.

What you buy at a farmer's market is indeed grown locally, but it peggy sue and Mark Wayne dont own the farm it was grown on; Monstanto or Tyson's Food does.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Of which there would be not one, but six, in the astronomically unlikely event that this proposal ever became law.
Why? All it takes is for people to demand it. Five years ago many people would have said it would be astronomically unlikely that pot would ever be legal in Colorado, but it happened.

Sometimes even the small dog is able to get a bone.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Well, you might get a small inefficient government like we have in Maryland. But maybe not.
What we do know is that it would make representatives more accessible to the average citizen, and that is always a good thing.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I will support it because it resolves a number of issues.
For one thing the parts of California that do not agree with the states current liberal agenda will have the opportunity to live under their own representative government.
Second it will bring more power to Washington from the west coast giving the western states a more even playing field in Washington.
The current California borders were drawn expressly to expedite the exploitation of California's gold deposits and not to provide a reasonable area for state administration.
The larger a state is, the more inefficient its state government becomes and the less responsive it is to the needs of its citizens. California is more like a small country than a state. The citizens of California live under 2 federal sized out of touch governments instead of a small and efficient state government.
It's a stupid idea. Where would it end?

Again, EVERY STATE has a political minority. So you mean to tell me that in every state, every ocean of blue and red should break off and become their own states? Really?

Because it's just so damn intolerable to live under the other party's rule?

That's just lazy politics. Any lamebrain could come up with that argument. The solution is to not be so damn polarized to the point that the parties can't even agree on what state they live in.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with the way California is currently configured and it's no different than any other state.

Like i said before, we have huge areas of my state (Arizona) that are blue...the border region, several of our larger cities, the Indian reservations....but we liberals have to suck it up and deal with a GOP that's so damn extreme as to make the state look like a bunch of rubes nationally. You think i like being represented by McCain, Flake, and Brewer? Hell no i don't. But i'm not about to endorse breaking up the state just so i can get my way. You work with what you have.

If California Conservatives can't hack it politically, then they can move to Oklahoma or Mississippi and be around nothing but like-minded people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Political opposition must be squashed!
Not saying that...but as i said before, if California Conservatives are so frustrated because they don't have the numbers, then they can leave the state.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
I heard this before but it's never going to happen. I don't think California should be split up anyway, just give individual state counties should have more control over their own jurisdiction.

People make a lot of misconceptions about California. It's a very large and very diverse state, both culturally and politically. Sure places like the Bay Area as liberal as they come, but other parts such as Orange County are VERY conservative.

California is the largest economy in the country. It's arguably the most important state. Make fun of it all you want, but it's the best state to live in IMO.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The SF metro and LA metro aren't the productive parts of the state? Sounds like you don't know much about California. Also, what is this obsession with splitting up California? Why not obsess about splitting up Texas?
Texas is not as dysfunctional as California.

And liberal policies haven't infected Texas.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Why? All it takes is for people to demand it. Five years ago many people would have said it would be astronomically unlikely that pot would ever be legal in Colorado, but it happened.

Sometimes even the small dog is able to get a bone.
You need to face facts that this will never happen even two states would never happen (much less five) simply because most of the people reside in the southern half of the state and we would never vote to cut ourselves off from the water in the north.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
I bet this would cost even more than high-speed rail, and provide even fewer tangible benefits.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I heard this before but it's never going to happen. I don't think California should be split up anyway, just give individual state counties should have more control over their own jurisdiction.
This will never happen so long as Democrats dominate the legislature in Sacramento.

They love to spend the money that us Angelenos are compelled to send up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies