Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,216,886 times

Advertisements

Sucks to be them...although there are the few exceptions where it's fine.

A shipmate of mine while I was in the military lived with his parents since it was really close to where we were stationed at. I mean, why not? He paid rent and all that, but still. That sort of set up sounds great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM

13,279 posts, read 7,813,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Sucks to be them...although there are the few exceptions where it's fine.

A shipmate of mine while I was in the military lived with his parents since it was really close to where we were stationed at. I mean, why not? He paid rent and all that, but still. That sort of set up sounds great.
As a sailor wouldn't he require jugal visits?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,216,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
As a sailor wouldn't he require jugal visits?
What?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,903,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
and yet, capital gains taxes are still much lower than wage taxes... and corporate taxes keep falling, while personal taxes keep rising ... so obviously your perception of reality is off, here, because the federal government is not "taxing the snot" out of the rich. a trust funder might pay 10%, while a brain surgeon might pay 35%. our tax code is set up to benefit people who own things, not people who work.

Jobs were being shipped overseas 30 years ago

then we lowered taxes, and jobs kept being sent overseas.

then we lowered taxes again ... and you know what kept happening.

Anyone who has been paying attention can see that there is little connection between tax rates and job growth.

What jobs are you talking about? Who, exactly, is having a difficult time finding skilled workers in the United States?

we have no one to blame but ourselves, for encouraging the rich to accumulate an increasingly large share of American wealth, and leaving 99% of americans with less bargaining power, less ability to start a small business and compete with the big, entrenched players.

from what i can tell , the moral of the story is: wealth inequality leads to higher barriers-to-entry in many markets, and therefore hurts free market competition.
The income/wealth inequality is more a symptom than a cause. Though it does have effects. The jobs had been going overseas, but that really picked up after the nineties market changes which opened the derivatives market wide open and shifted job markets to account for the huge loss in manufacturing. Manufacturing is always the really big one. Govt et. al was then able to offshore everything like crazy from 2000 on.(-33%) This was all done to fatten the investment funds of govt et al. Govt makes more on its investments in the corps than the taxes.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,328,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Yet you get all the perks of Long Island, such as economy.

Since when is a rush-hour commute on the LIE a perk?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,773,257 times
Well,things don't always look as they seem.

My nother lived with me for a time,but to outsiders it might have seemed I lived with her.

2,we all paid our fair share. We went 1/2 on all the bills.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 PM

119 posts, read 311,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Just speaking from what I see on a day to day basis is that the younger generation wants the same thing us older folks have worked all our lives to get, many of them do move out but end up buried and broke which leads them back home when they loose everything. In quite a few cases it seems to be a fast meaningless marriage which ends when they are not interested any longer which sends them broke and back home and some just would rather stay home, have the nice car and money to party. There are probably many reasons for living at home. I was on my own at 17.

Not living in the ghetto is a lot less affordable now....How can you in California of all places pass judgement I would love to have seen the boomers grow up in today's America....the boomers destroyed this country completely...Look what they inherited in the 1950's and now look at America...

It's not the young people it was those boomers the ones that became hippies and liberal judges

Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,403,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American1476 View Post
Not living in the ghetto is a lot less affordable now....How can you in California of all places pass judgement I would love to have seen the boomers grow up in today's America....the boomers destroyed this country completely...Look what they inherited in the 1950's and now look at America...

It's not the young people it was those boomers the ones that became hippies and liberal judges
These inter-generational pissing matches are utterly unproductive and generally involve tons of unfair generalizations and that is the case no matter what generation starts them.

The Boomers were either children in the 50s or hadn't even been born. Anyway, I do agree that not living in the ghetto is less affordable now, as are educational expenses and other things. The Boomers dealt with some recessions at a young age as well, however, and they have also been impacted greatly by the latest one.

In so far as assistance from parents, many Boomers did receive it after their 18th birthdays in one way or another despite what some say.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,403,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_kenny View Post
I think it's not anyone's business to tell other people they should/should not live with parents.
Ultimately this is the bottom line. People should mind their own business.

With that being said, I still feel that many of the young adults living at home are mooching and taking advantage of their parents. But they have no one else to blame.

As far as the ones who aren't mooching, I don't have a problem with it. But, either way the living arrangements of others aren't my business.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,851,811 times
"29 Percent Of All U.S. Adults Under The Age Of 35 Are Living With Their Parents"

And live in the basement posting on CD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies