Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Every kid should have a job by age 14....or the minimum age to legally work. Every. Single. Kid.
I agree but you have to be older than 14 to have a real job. It used to be they could cut lawns, shovel snow, run errands and whatever. Now we have lawn services and other businesses that do this. So where do you want them to get jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
This is the inevitable result of our greedy CEOs outsourcing millions of American jobs.
Don't forget about how they insource cheap labor from abroad to do the jobs that can't be outsourced. Like construction, housekeeping, lawn care, restaurant work.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
There is too much stigma in our society about what can be a financially wise decision. Whether the kid is a deadbeat or a doctor, who has the right to judge them for living with the family they love and saving money? Obviously if the parents don't like the situation they can set whatever limits or make the kid move, but my experience has shown me that moving out doesn't necessarily make one behave as an adult.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I never really understood this. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the country putting myself through school while working a crap job, yet I don't live with my parents. Maybe it is because I taught myself very early on to hate spending money.
If you really hated spending money you wouldn't be spending it on rent.

There is nothing wrong with living among family, as long as family is respectful.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
The tried and true, old fashioned way. Mow the neighbors yard. Shovel snow. Babysit kids. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Maybe that's the problem. People no longer even remember what it means to do basic, menial work as teenagers and it results in a bunch of lazy adults.
There isn't enough of that for Every. Single. teenager. Those jobs aren't for kids anymore.

I don't think teens need to work if they are active in other areas. My kids both did, but they didn't do sports or too many other extra curriculars and got lucky by knowing people who recommended them for jobs.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Uh, I'm a 21 year old college student living with my mom. If I wasn't living with my mom, I'd be homeless and probably end up dead. There's nothing strange or wrong about young people living with their parents as long as they're going to school and/or work and not leeching off their parents.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I agree but you have to be older than 14 to have a real job. It used to be they could cut lawns, shovel snow, run errands and whatever. Now we have lawn services and other businesses that do this. So where do you want them to get jobs?
Very small percentage of homes have a landscaper do their weekly yard work. I'm not convinced that there are not yards to mow. I'm convinced that there are parents who refuse to put their kids to work and support them in their endeavor.

Work permits are available starting at the age of 14 in most states. But it requires parental involvement...... like driving the teen to get the permit and to the job. That's the problem, as I see it. Lazy parents spawning lazy kids.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
18-24 (College age) is 6 years, 6 of 18 years between 18-35 that would be 33.3% of adults, so 29% isn't too crazy.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Very small percentage of homes have a landscaper do their weekly yard work. I'm not convinced that there are not yards to mow. I'm convinced that there are parents who refuse to put their kids to work and support them in their endeavor.
Are you kidding. Everyone has a professional mow their lawn these days or they do it themselves. There is no need for the kids anymore in that area. And why are you so convinced that parents don't want their kids to work. Do you actually think the parents want to support them

Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding. Everyone has a professional mow their lawn these days or they do it themselves. There is no need for the kids anymore in that area. And why are you so convinced that parents don't want their kids to work. Do you actually think the parents want to support them
A lot of the time it's illegals mowing the lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies