Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
It's because they are of no concern. What you should embrace is your fellow black brothers love for their heritage of the old confederate south. That flag means a lot to them.
Again, you are talking about a flag that wasnt even the official flag of the CSA and the CSA itself only existed for 4 years, that is not heritage.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Apparently most people consider TX and FL to be part of that core group since we both were one of the original 7 that seceded

Maybe you can find me a definition of core south beside just yours.

Either way, NY is sucking 3rd place and falling. Florida will pass NY within the next few years.

your quote came directly from wikipedia, which means you saw the very definition of Deep South.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina.

Did you really post this comment to set yourself up for that big of a fail ?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
It's because they are of no concern. What you should embrace is your fellow black brothers love for their heritage of the old confederate south. That flag means a lot to them.
That's what your "Dixie Boys" photos are trying to convey. How the spirit of the black man so dearly loved the south and their benevolent masters and would celebrate that love by flying the stars and bars, which is nothing more than a battle flag. Is there one black organization that meets specifically to honor the confederacy and the period before the civil war?

Wouldn't the official flag of the (Ahem) "Great State of Georgia" more aptly portray the true heritage of the state and be a source of pride for all Georgians? After all, the nation knows that the state seceded from the union, so you still get that rebel panache without the historically evil undertones?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Actually, they are of concern because these are historical facts. It is because of these historical facts that I will never sport a Confederate flag, and I'm rather dumbfounded at the idea of sporting a Confederate flag at all.

Basically, by stating "it's of no concern" states that everything I've stated about the reasons of secession, it can't be refuted. Rather than refute it, it gets ignored.

I'm not going to embrace the love for the Old South. I don't like the Old South at all. Being the descendant of slaves, I have no reason to like the Old South, period. I will never embrace it and no one is to tell me I should.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Again, you are talking about a flag that wasnt even the official flag of the CSA and the CSA itself only existed for 4 years, that is not heritage.
And furthermore, historical facts were posted about the reasons behind secession. Basically, since it can't be refuted, it gets ignored. The quotes from the Articles of Secession basically state that slavery was a major reason for secession. It doesn't fit the narrative of "it's just southern heritage".

Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well I do have family stretching back that far.

And many see what Sherman did as awful. I could be offended, but I'm not. You can be offended that I fly the csa flag, below my American flag. However, it is a free country.
My family stretches that far back in the south too. There are not many transplants. Our heritage goes way back.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
If not then, tell me WHY the German soldiers fought in WW2?

Tell me why the Japanese soldiers fought in WW2?
This thread is not about WW2.

Try to stay on topic.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Try to stay on topic.

The subject of "Why confederate soldiers fought" was brought up by you. The response was a simile. I'm sure you got it. Obfuscation will not erase the fact that the reason a soldier fights is irrelevant to the discussion. The reasons nations and states direct their soldiers to fight is the crux of the matter. the reason the collective "South" fought is fairly obvious and common record.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Try to stay on topic.
You bring up the absurd idea that oh even though ALL of the source documents that list the declarations of war of the slave states was ALL about slavery, that somehow the soldiers who fought for those states shouldn't be judged to have fought under the cause of the states they represented.

Again anyone can read the source documents about the declarations of war and the cause of the slave states is explicit. They make it explicit that it is all about slavery.

In fact, South Carolina actually comes out against the rights of states to make their own laws — at least when those laws conflict with slaveholding. "In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals," the document reads. The right of transit, was the right of slaveholders to bring their slaves along with them on trips to non-slaveholding states.

These things were not in dispute. The reason for the war at the time was not in dispute. It is just an attempt at revisionist history to whitewash what southerners fought for which was slavery now, slavery forever and slavery expanded to new states. These were the reasons they fought and the confederate soldiers fighting under slave states banner were fighting for that cause.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
the reason the collective "South" fought is fairly obvious and common record.
Yes, it is.

The confederate soldiers fought to defend their property and protect their families from Union aggression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies