Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I find it hard to believe these two fathers would be sticking needles in them to get high on the job risking their professional careers. I think there is more to this story than we are led to believe.
You obviously don't know anything of what you are talking about. Parents can be drug addicts with good careers. Look at Philip Seymour Hoffman...but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, one less liberal celebrity is a good thing for you, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if some unfortunate accident befalls the men who claimed to have killed bin laden occurs i would be very concerned.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:59 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if some unfortunate accident befalls the men who claimed to have killed bin laden occurs i would be very concerned.
What?

Are you one of the Bushes?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I wonder what they witnessed or were a part of that caused them to be suicided?
Nothing. They were a couple of hired guards stuck in a very boring life. I've spent months in the Indian Ocean, and even a sailor who has plenty of work to do gets bored with the routine in those waters. It's always hot, clear, and calm.

For adrenalin junkies like the SEALS, having absolutely no work at all to do, and only one other person like them, instead of a group, must have been maddeningly dull. It's far better mentally for those people when they have a group of 4 or 6 than just two. Once their guns were cleaned, and their spaces were spotless, what was left for them? Running laps around the deck. Inspecting the ships protective gear. Then nothing but staying out of the way of the crew.
They couldn't go hang out on the bridge or the engine room, and they couldn't help out the deckhands- that wasn't part of their job description. All they could do was watch TV and the sea go by. Day after day after day.

I don't know what the liquor policy is on the Alabama Maersk, but I'll bet that if a liquor locker exists on the ship, it's securely locked at sea. Drugs are everywhere, and are much easier to conceal than booze.

I'll bet both of them were addicts for some time, and they just obtained a stronger batch than usual. Strong drugs are just like strong booze; addicts love the big hit much more than the maintenance hit, so it was lethal candy for a very empty existence.

I'll also bet that both were single. Ex SEALS with families would be much more resistant to addiction, but the ship owners may have accepted only single men for the position, as there are always family crises that pop up, and extracting a father from the ship for an emergency is both next to impossible and extremely expensive for the company. Most companies who hire married men make it very clear they won't be able to leave the ship to go home once they're aboard for a run.

The ship owners have to compromise for the crew; they vitally need every sailor they employ; the crews are always the minimum number needed for the job. The guards are an optional expense, so they would disqualify a married man for the position right from the first.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nothing. They were a couple of hired guards stuck in a very boring life. I've spent months in the Indian Ocean, and even a sailor who has plenty of work to do gets bored with the routine in those waters. It's always hot, clear, and calm.
So . . You're saying they couldn't hold up under the tortuous water boring?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I find it hard to believe these two fathers would be sticking needles in them to get high on the job risking their professional careers. I think there is more to this story than we are led to believe.

What do specifically think the "more to the story" is? If you are accusing someone of something, could you please state the details of who you think killed them and why rather than making meaningless allusions? Accusing people of murder is a serious accusation so please be specific about your evidence.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If Dick Cheney isn't concerned--why are you? He has much more to gain if the OBL was a hoax, so wouldn't he have brought this up? Of course he might be involved, as having SEALs run around writing and talking about the OBL assassination is very embarrassing to the Cheney admin as they could never quite find the guy. Also, many republican Congress members saw the photos of a dead OBL and the men involved have written books about it. Michele Bachman saw the photos and if there was any suspicion at all that they were not real, wouldn't she have been on Fox the next day voicing her "concerns"? She certainly is not shy about accusing the Obama admin of anything and everything.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
What do specifically think the "more to the story" is? If you are accusing someone of something, could you please state the details of who you think killed them and why rather than making meaningless allusions? Accusing people of murder is a serious accusation so please be specific about your evidence.
You're asking the Original Poster to police state the details of who he thinks killed them and why?

That's rediculous!

The answer just may "lie" in your question.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

For adrenalin junkies like the SEALS, having absolutely no work at all to do, and only one other person like them, instead of a group, must have been maddeningly dull. It's far better mentally for those people when they have a group of 4 or 6 than just two. Once their guns were cleaned, and their spaces were spotless, what was left for them? Running laps around the deck. Inspecting the ships protective gear. Then nothing but staying out of the way of the crew.
They couldn't go hang out on the bridge or the engine room, and they couldn't help out the deckhands- that wasn't part of their job description. All they could do was watch TV and the sea go by. Day after day after day.

I don't know what the liquor policy is on the Alabama Maersk, but I'll bet that if a liquor locker exists on the ship, it's securely locked at sea. Drugs are everywhere, and are much easier to conceal than booze.

I'll bet both of them were addicts for some time, and they just obtained a stronger batch than usual. Strong drugs are just like strong booze; addicts love the big hit much more than the maintenance hit, so it was lethal candy for a very empty existence.

I'll also bet that both were single. Ex SEALS with families would be much more resistant to addiction, but the ship owners may have accepted only single men for the position, as there are always family crises that pop up, and extracting a father from the ship for an emergency is both next to impossible and extremely expensive for the company. Most companies who hire married men make it very clear they won't be able to leave the ship to go home once they're aboard for a run.

The ship owners have to compromise for the crew; they vitally need every sailor they employ; the crews are always the minimum number needed for the job. The guards are an optional expense, so they would disqualify a married man for the position right from the first.
Thanks for the reality check.

Tin foil cap wearers, please adjust accordingly.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
I agree with the OP that it is "odd". That's all I can agree with because I don't know any more than the rest of the world right now. What I do know though is that these guys have received the very best training in the world, and that SEALS are some of the most intelligent, and physically and mentally tough individuals you would ever hope to find. They're adrenalin junkies but the boredom of tedious sea duty would not typically get to them. Do I think something nefarious happened to them? Were they just junkies? Get their hands on bad drugs? Don't know. Anything is possible. But it is odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies